It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Justine Damond shot dead by US police in Minneapolis

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

No kidding..she is the boss right.
I can't fathom why he would bother with that kind of comment??(monday morning quarterbacking)..FFS..did that seem provocative?? seemed pretty f'ing reasonable.
edit on 21-7-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

No kidding..she is the boss right.
I can't fathom why he would bother with that kind of comment??(monday morning quarterbacking)..FFS..did that seem provocative?? seemed pretty f'ing reasonable.

Monday morning quarterbacking is fine from the chief when its done in an investigative manner thats not addressed to the media. The manner in which she "opined" is about as informed as an anonymous person on a message board or a person not versed in law enforcement commenting. Especially when the investigation (criminal, Internal affairs and Civil rights arent completed) and when the criminal portion (and most likely civil rights investigation) is being handled by an outside agency.

But your right.. Why tamp down the community anger when you can add gas to that fire by trying to play politician instead of doing your job as Chief.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

What did she say you disagree with?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: dreamingawake

This is the problem I have with BLM, they always say blacks are systematically being targeted by police yet they ignored that whites are also victims of police brutality too.

In fact there was one incident a few years ago where a white boy was shot by the police while he was holding a wii remote.

BLM are justified in their views though because when they get shot, police were doing their job, but when a white woman is shot suddenly people are up in arms about trigger happy police.

I don't see whites rioting in the streets or burning down their own neighborhood, do you?

Why should you/they? You already KNOW this officer is going to prison.

That's the difference...

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: dreamingawake

I for one, would throw him in jail just for not having his body cam on. It's time for these to be on for the entire duration of their shift. There is no reason to turn it off.

Just curious as to whether this was your stance in the killing of any of the black guys?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I usually side with the cops until evidence proves otherwise... but man in this case, if you are not actively taking fire there is no reason to draw and fire like that.

If you are concerned tell your partner to back up to gain space and take a defensive posture, or get out of the vehicle giving her commands, this certainly looks like an execution for some reason.

Was this your stance in the Tamir Rice shooting?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: caf1550
So this is just being reported now.

Shooting

One of the officers involved in the fatal shooting of Justine Damond said he heard a loud noise before realizing his partner had shot through an open window, striking Justine Damond in the abdomen, according to information released Tuesday evening by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

The officer driving the car went on record with the BCA today and this is what he said. It seems like the Officer who fired the fatal rounds through the door could have been startled from noises that he percieved as gunshots while Ms. Damond was at the cruiser.

The new information from the BCA does not fully answer those questions — in part because Noor refused to be interviewed by investigators, so his mind-set is still a mystery — but it offers a timeline of what happened that night. The BCA said Noor's attorney, Thomas Plunkett, has not indicated whether the officer will give an interview.

Now I for one cannot understand why Officer Noor does not want to give an interview, my professional opinion he should be giving the interview while the events are still fresh in his head. Now if this is a bad shooting which it seems more and more to be, Officer Noor should fully expect criminal charges being brought against him which is the correct thing to do.

Was it your opinion in say the Mike Brown shooting that Wilson should have given his interview while events were fresh?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
AP- DM re shared article:"Minnesota police shooting isn't only death of 911 caller"
Source

Damond's relatives in Australia have hired lawyer Robert Bennett, who represented the family of Philando Castile, a black motorist who was also gunned down by a Minneapolis-area officer. Bennett told The Star Tribune on Thursday that Damond was "the most innocent victim" of a police shooting he has ever seen.

Some observers have drawn comparisons between Damond's death and that of Charleena Lyles, a 30-year-old pregnant mother. Within minutes of arriving June 18 to take a burglary report, two Seattle officers drew their guns and shot Lyles in front of three of her children. The officers said they feared for their lives and had no choice but to use lethal force after Lyles tried to stab Officer Jason Anderson in the stomach and cornered Officer Steven McNew in the kitchen.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2Baaka

Shooting

One of the officers involved in the fatal shooting of Justine Damond said he heard a loud noise before realizing his partner had shot through an open window, striking Justine Damond in the abdomen, according to information released Tuesday evening by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

The officer driving the car went on record with the BCA today and this is what he said. It seems like the Officer who fired the fatal rounds through the door could have been startled from noises that he percieved as gunshots while Ms. Damond was at the cruiser.

The new information from the BCA does not fully answer those questions — in part because Noor refused to be interviewed by investigators, so his mind-set is still a mystery — but it offers a timeline of what happened that night. The BCA said Noor's attorney, Thomas Plunkett, has not indicated whether the officer will give an interview.

Now I for one cannot understand why Officer Noor does not want to give an interview, my professional opinion he should be giving the interview while the events are still fresh in his head. Now if this is a bad shooting which it seems more and more to be, Officer Noor should fully expect criminal charges being brought against him which is the correct thing to do.

Was it your opinion in say the Mike Brown shooting that Wilson should have given his interview while events were fresh?

Fresh as in before or after his head cleared from being assaulted by Brown?

You're making a lot of false equivalences in this case.

Ms. Damond had not been recently involved in criminal activity where she was the perpetrator. The same can't be said for Brown or many of the others that caused riots.

I guess that doesn't matter though when all you look at to make your judgements is skin color.

edit on 21-7-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Update:

At the request of the mayor, Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau announced her resignation Friday afternoon in the aftermath of the officer-involved shooting of Justine Damond, a 40-year-old Australian woman.

In a meeting midday Friday, Hodges told a City Council member that she had the votes on the executive committee to fire Harteau, and planned to fire her or ask her to resign, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the conversation.

SOURCE

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

originally posted by: 2Baaka

Shooting

Fresh as in before or after his head cleared from being assaulted by Brown?

You're making a lot of false equivalences in this case.

Ms. Damond had not been recently involved in criminal activity where she was the perpetrator. The same can't be said for Brown or many of the others that caused riots.

I guess that doesn't matter though when all you look at to make your judgements is skin color.

Fresh as in Officer Noor is awaiting the shock and horror of that loud noise from a possible ambush to clear.

I expect his statement soon of how he feared for his life. I mean whatever story he concocts should be sufficient. You know like she was running away and then thought it better to charge like a bull.

Either way, I expect America to support this officer as they do in all other cases. Except the only case I can think of where the officer went to prison for murder, but oops, that was a black cop.

Has the background check on the victim been completed? Are you telling me she never smoked weed or was tardy in high school? We should know this stuff by now!

Also strange how this officers name and photo were available seemingly minutes after the incident?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 2Baaka

He feared for his life because he was just so, so terrified of the kind-looking, well-spoken Australian women in her dressing gown outside her own house in what he knew to be at last a reasonably safe neighborhood? That would mean he should never have been in his role and I'd guess that the only reason he even got close to having the role is because of his ethnic/cultural/religious/minority background and his useless tokenship has backfired now rather spectacularly and resulted in not merely multiple cases of other incidents against him towards the public but now his murdering of one of them.

There is literally no defending this man's position, not in any way and it cannot be supported. This is a case of missteps throughout and on his part it is glaringly obvious that he has a lot of hide and answer for. He was identified because that is what happens pretty much always and in case you hadn't noticed this is 2017 and it wouldn't be that easy to hide.

Basically you're saying to us that police officers shoot when they're spooked by loud noises and frankly I'm shocked that you think they ought to behave like labradors. I guess it's lucky that labradors don't know how to use guns, eh?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
As I write this, the Mayor of Minneapolis is live in a press conference having a giant group masturbation session over how amazing the former police chief Harteau is and has been and how much progress they've made under her stewardship and it's basically a giant liberal crapfest about how amazing they ll are and all the non-progress they've made being disguised as progress. The scary thing is that there are still some people in society who actually will fall for this nonsense.

However, she is now being heckled and yelled at by the crowd in the press conference and people are getting very heated. The press conference has descended into farce and yelling. The Ouroborus is eating itself.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

That happens when you decide politics is more important than the rule of law. The Mayor has been caught wearing islamic garb and touting this officer as a political asset. In order to downplay that5 she fired the Police Chief. As I said earlier she never should have Monday morning quarterbacked in the public realm to the media while investigations are ongoing by other agencies.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Could you please explain the term 'Monday morning quarterback' to me? I'm not familiar with it.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: GusMcDangerthing

Could you please explain the term 'Monday morning quarterback' to me? I'm not familiar with it.

In a broad sense it means something that occurs over a weekend and a person who was not involved with it in any way shape or form comes in on Monday morning and decides they know what happened, how it happened, why it happened, who it happened to and who is to blame for it without ever investigating the situation, being present when it occurred, etc.

Definition of Monday–morning quarterback

: one who second-guesses

Monday–morning quarterbacking noun

It can also be compared to people who read stories about a law enforcement situation, deciding the officer did everything wrong, telling us how he should have done it, all without being present when it occurred.

in law enforcement an officers use of force is reviewed using the scotus established rule-

"What did the officer perceive the moment force was used".

It does not allow the use of 20/20 hindsight to review an officers use of force because generally speaking the officer didnt have access to that information when it occurred. Each use of force is individual unto itself. What is acceptable in one situation is not always acceptable in a similar situation. Because officers are forced / required to make snap life and death decisions scotus took that into account when establishing the criteria.

In this case the several issues -
* - The subject was not armed (not known until after the fact).
* - The loud sound was not a guns shot (not know until after the fact).
* - The dash cam / body cams should have been on per policy (Policy states if safe to do so / it also was not clear how the call was dispatched as the reporting party stated it was either a sexual assault or some lady having sex in public). Its why the officers turned off their headlights and rolled down their windows when coming into the area. They were trying to hear what the RP was reporting.
* - The loud noise and the lady were not linked together (not known until after the fact).
* - The officer who shot perceived a threat to him and his partner (the officer has to justify this reaction, not 20/20 hindsight).
* - The situation came a few weeks after the NYC officer was assassinated (a valid concern on the officers part and trying to dismiss it by the opposing lawyer doesnt work in that way).

etc etc etc...

This officer is essentially under 3 separate but linked investigations -
* - Criminal (outside agency)
* - Internal affairs (his department - investigates potential policy violations)
* - Civil rights investigation (42 USC 1983 - usually investigated by the FBI)

edit on 21-7-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
‘We Don’t Want You!:’ Protesters Force Mayor Out Of Press Conference

Protesters forced the Minneapolis, Minn., mayor out from her own press conference Friday night due to anger of her leadership over a recent police shooting of an Australian woman.

Mayor Betsy Hodges had trouble speaking during her press conference concerning the resignation of Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau due to the constant interruptions from angry demonstrators.

click link for full article...

Video of news conference -

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: GusMcDangerthing
a reply to: 2Baaka

He feared for his life because he was just so, so terrified of the kind-looking, well-spoken Australian women in her dressing gown outside her own house in what he knew to be at last a reasonably safe neighborhood? That would mean he should never have been in his role and I'd guess that the only reason he even got close to having the role is because of his ethnic/cultural/religious/minority background and his useless tokenship has backfired now rather spectacularly and resulted in not merely multiple cases of other incidents against him towards the public but now his murdering of one of them.

There is literally no defending this man's position, not in any way and it cannot be supported. This is a case of missteps throughout and on his part it is glaringly obvious that he has a lot of hide and answer for. He was identified because that is what happens pretty much always and in case you hadn't noticed this is 2017 and it wouldn't be that easy to hide.

Basically you're saying to us that police officers shoot when they're spooked by loud noises and frankly I'm shocked that you think they ought to behave like labradors. I guess it's lucky that labradors don't know how to use guns, eh?

Hey, as many, maybe you included, state when it's an unarmed black male: Police have a tough, damgerous job. It's not as if someone kimd-looking and well spoken never killed anyone before. "When it's all said and done, every officer wants to make it home to their family".

The only way we could accurately determine if this guy was a AA hire is if he's otherwise unqualified. Have you heard anything stating he's unqualified? I haven't, on contrary he sounds very qualified seeing as he's a college graduate. Did he fail the cjbat or fitness test? Or did he fail the background check?

What gives you pause to him being unqualified?

Sure his position can be defended. Even without a loud noise. All he has to say is he feared for his or his partners life. Her hands weren't visible or she had what appeared to be a weapon in it.

This is the atmosphere people like MAYBE yourself created with the high-profile police killings of black men. You know where you all took whatever bs story the officer concocted and America society, white America went, "Ehhhh...maybe he did lower his head like a bull and run through bullets." "The officer didn't know whether Walter Scott had a gun or not as he ran from him. He's justified in shooting him". "Hey the 12 year old didn't look 12, and why did he have a bb gun".

When these events happened my community were furious, however I knew all we had to do is wait. And that soon it would be unarmed white people being shot too.

Now all of a sudden it's time to burn the country down? See this is what happens when you leave abuse unchecked. It was fine as long as it were the frightening black people being shot.

So I'm just going to sip my tea and eat popcorn as this plays out. As white America calls for this black officer to be lynched. Where's bluelivesmatter now?

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
An absolute tragedy but maybe now some people will wake up to the truth about police and shootings. Not all police are bad and that is absolute fact but there are bad cops out there who need to be replaced or thrown in jail.

Kind of sad it took a white woman shot by black officer for some conservatives to open their eyes.

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: justagod

Kind of sad it took a white woman shot by black officer for some conservatives to open their eyes.

Kind of sad it took a white woman shot by a black officer for some liberals to open their eyes, too.

Apparently all lives do matter after all.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join