It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk's Worst Nightmare: Russian AK-47 Maker Builds Fully-Automated "Killer Robot"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

by Tyler Durden
Jul 17, 2017 5:30 AM
Recently there has been some debate at the U.N. about “killer robots,” with prominent scientists, researchers, and Human rights organizations all warning that this type of technology – lethal tech. that divorces the need for human control – could cause a slew of unintended consequence to the detriment of humanity.

A study conducted the University of British Columbia shows that this type of terminator-like weaponry isn’t sitting well with the general public, as an overwhelming majority of people, regardless of country or culture, want a complete ban placed upon any further development of these autonomous systems of war.

Despite the warnings of risk and concern, this is not stopping arms manufacturers from taking warfare into the twilight zone and bringing the futuristic battlefield scenario where A.I. robots and human are fighting with each other, side by side, closer to everyday reality.

Kalashnikov, the maker of the iconic AK-47, is one of those manufacturers bringing lethal automation and robotics into the present-day as it is currently building a range of products based on neural networks,’ including a fully automated combat module’ that can identify and shoot at its targets.

www.zerohedge.com...

Related links:

Russian Weapons Maker To Build AI-Directed Guns

I feel very uneasy with this type of technology. The AI Directed Guns identifies targets on it's own, and makes the decision on it's own whether to shoot at the intended target/s.

There is a lot that could go wrong with this. Giving AI/robots, nomatter how smart they are, complete autonomy deciding whether to shoot at the targets it identifies is a really bad idea. There are people out there who can look like they are your twin. How would the AI determine whether the target it identifies is the real target the AI is looking for?

What about hackers taking control of such AI and changing "targets of interest"?

IMO this is a really bad idea. Waiting any day now for "Skynet" to start building "terminators" and the AI controlling/communicating with these "terminators" deciding that to have peace "it needs to destroy all humans" and decides to take control of the world.

Five years ago this would still sound like science fiction, but nowadays it seems that it is inevitable for this to happen. Of course, the corporation would have some other name instead of "Skynet".

edit on 17-7-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: correct link.

edit on 17-7-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
And so it begins...
Can you say collateral damage and (un)friendly fire?
Next the drones will be armed with lasers...yikes!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I'll be the first to say I discriminate against robots based on the fact that they don't have souls and I don't trust those shiny bastards...

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is going to happen. It shouldnt. We should be smart enough not to do this, but really technological innovation is the driving factor of human civilization - always has been. And it controls us more than we do it.

By Tyler Durden? Is this a real guy? If there was something to be suspicious about regarding this article, id be suspicious. But we all know killer robots are being developed.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
They are already planning for autonomous cars.
They are talking about autonomous and automatic braking in cars....in effect the car will do the braking...hopefully.

They think they are being smart.....but it is just another dumbing down of humanity.
They want us all to live in little villages, walk to "work"...perhaps carry water on our heads, from safe community wells.....

Just think...in the past...this was our future dreams.....

edit on 17-7-2017 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I'll be the first to say I discriminate against robots based on the fact that they don't have souls and I don't trust those shiny bastards...

Its very ignant of you to assume that all robots are alike.

#RobotLivesMatter

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

It's legit.
interestingengineering.com...

The maker of one of the most famous guns in the world, Kalashnikov, is now turning its attention to robots. Autonomous killer robots to be precise. The company announced yesterday it has developed combat drones that will use AI to find targets and make independent decisions. In simple terms, AI killer robots. Images released by the company show combat robots with Kalashnikov’s PK series machine guns mounted on top. The company stated, “In the nearest future we plan to unveil a whole line of neural network based products. A fully automated combat module based on that technology is to be unveiled during the ARMY-2017 forum.”

news.vice.com...

Russian arms manufacturer Kalashnikov has announced it will launch a range of autonomous combat drones which will use artificial intelligence to identify targets and make decisions on their own. The move is likely to fuel ongoing concerns about the ethics of autonomous weapons.

This is a bad idea. Totally in violation with Asimov's Laws, but then all nations working in the field of AI and robotics have essentially gutted the laws anyway.

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

This ship has already sailed and I somehow doubt we're going to be better for it having done so.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
How well would this do after and EMP blast?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I agree with what you say.
I didn't watch the video yet,but...

I'd imagine that until AI tech becomes evolved enough, to like how it was in the terminator lol,
That this tech will be deployed into war zones where the ROE is to shoot on site.
Sort of like a Fallujah scenario.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

The humans in the MATRIX deserved what they got in my opinion. Self aware AI would most likely leave humans alone if they would leave them alone and co exist.

In stat scene there your vid is on. Who is to say that the woman wasnt a human at one time and had to get a robot body? That was never explained. But the cruelty of those people really had me wanting them dead.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: joshysway
How well would this do after and EMP blast?

Imagine better than the rest of the planet since a EMP blast is the result of a nuclear explosion.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Fear of robots has been around since they were conceived of. The first mention of the word "robot" was in "RUR: Rossum's Universal Robots," which was actually a play by the Czech writer Karel Capek. Ironically, the creatures he described were more like androids (think Blade Runner) than mechanical robots. But they kill all the humans, a theme that has been maintained from then on. Isaac Asimov addressed this with his three laws of robotics, but it is worth noting that in "I, robot" one of them has a "breakdown" and starts zapping humans. This theme has continued clear through to "Terminator" and gone kind of stupid with the "Transformers." Only the Fear of Robots is a constant, which is basically humanity with an inferiority complex. I'm guessing Apple will come out with the first useful household servant for about $5K. It will be named: iRobot. You heard it here first.
edit on 7/17/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
They are already planning for autonomous cars.
They are talking about autonomous and automatic braking in cars....in effect the car will do the braking...hopefully.

Talking about?.... Required in a few years...

"Automatic Brakes Will Be in All Cars by 2022: What to Know About the New Standards"

abcnews.go.com...

edit on 17-7-2017 by NickK3 because: added quotes

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I think autonomous robotic soldiers would save a lot of our soldiers lives and reduce life changing injuries. Wouldn't want to face them because their very concept would be amoral (is it alive? 0/1 move on/kill it).

A slightly less lethal concept released in the millions in cities would go a long way to curbing crime, riots and illegal assemblies. (Call the Judges) (is it a crime? 0/1 move on/is it aggressive? 0/1 taser & capture/kill it) Would need automated units to pick up captured and cleanup units for the other.

I've always liked the concept of Gort from the original The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951).

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
All hail the political party in charge.

You sure as hell don't want to be put on a list as a "domestic terrorist" or "enemy combatant" for being a political dissident!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
ED-209 AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
BTW, i was going to make a thread about a "robocop" type machines that are now driving, or will drive around Dubai, But since both articles are about a similar decision made by those in power here it is.

Dubai has quite been at the forefront of technological advancement. The first to build the tallest building in the world, first to introduce autonomous flying taxis and the first to actually introduce a real life 'Robocop' to the world. Now, the high-tech city has come up with another first - an autonomous police car. By the end of this year, the city police will have a new type of patrol car, one without a driver. It will be the eyes for the Dubai Police, acting as a surveillance unit. The vehicle, about the size of a toy electric buggy, will come equipped with 360-degree cameras that will 'scan for criminals', presumably using facial recognition technology, according to a report on Gulf News. The self-driving police bot has been named O-R3. It was developed and built by Singapore-based start-up OTSAW Digital, which has said that Dubai will be the first city in the world to recruit the O-R3 for everyday patrols. However, the company also noted that the bots are not intended to replace the human police officers but to enforce low-level order in the city.

Watch video: Dubai Police recruits ‘Robocar’ O-R3 that can identify criminals and charge on its own

And they do have "robocops" in Dubai already.

edit on 17-7-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add link.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The more soldiers become replaced by robots the less soldiers die. In time robots fight each other. Get on with it.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I don't see the big deal. It's just a more advanced form of what we have. More automated but that's it. Like from the bow and arrow to the gun.

So now we have a robot gun on wheels that can target and shoot on it's own. Ok. But it's still always going to just be a gun on wheels. A year from now it will be the same auto targeting auto firing weapon rolling around.

What concerns me is when AI is capable of modifying and advancing itself on it's own and at will. True independence. That's a machine that starts off being one thing and a year later might be something we can't even imagine or stop even if we tried. A machine that from day one is figuring out ways to improve itself and it's ability to survive whatever comes at it. One that finds new and innovative ways to alter and improve it's design, code and integration in to reality.

Now that's when things will get interesting real quick.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join