It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminist scientists say citing research by straight, white men promotes 'a system of oppression'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Kristine Phillips, The Washington Post Published 12:09 pm, Sunday, July 16, 2017

Academics and scholars must be mindful about using research done by only straight, white men, according to two scientists who argued that it oppresses diverse voices and bolsters the status of already privileged and established white male scholars.

Geographers Carrie Mott and Daniel Cockayne argued in a recent paper that doing so also perpetuates what they call "white heteromasculinism," which they defined as a "system of oppression" that benefits only those who are "white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered." (Cisgendered describes people whose gender identity matches their birth sex.)
"This important research has drawn direct attention to the continued underrepresentation and marginalization of women, people of color . . . To cite narrowly, to only cite white men . . . or to only cite established scholars, does a disservice not only to researchers and writers who are othered by white heteromasculinism . . .," they wrote in the paper published recently in the journal Gender, Place and Culture.

www.sfgate.com...

Yes, this particular article is referencing two scholars. One is an American, and the other is a Canadian, but the fact that many other people in the left agrees with this fallacious argument.

We have seen how left wing groups such as BLM, among many others have also used this argument that "if you are white your argument doesn't really matter because it oppresses minorities".

Now, what these two scholars are claiming is that if white, straight men publish research articles that "it helps oppress minorities"...

When is this madness going to end?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Already posted

Less than 30 seconds of searching via mobile...

ats

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse
I think what they are saying is not to only use those research points, not that they are invalid.

Straw man argument in your conclusion.

edit on 17-7-2017 by TacSite18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

This is all heading to segregation. This also works well in separating the herd to make it much easier for controls to be put on us all.

White, black, yellow-matters not. As Americans we have a common thread in the "burying of the hacket". And the power elite on both sides of the isle loves them some racism. It is a useful tool.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TacSite18

Right. Perhaps some conservative think tanks should shun the use of "minority" research. Let's see what happens then.

This is a useful wedge. And misplaced anger over the "unfair" use of (white male) researchers may be a way to bring some light to a couple of professors who want to be super duper important for 15 minutes.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
You know these researchers personnally? You seem to know all their motivations, hopes, dreams....projection, or another straw man.

You tell me - it is your post.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Already posted

Less than 30 seconds of searching via mobile...

ats

I actually searched using ATS search engine and nothing came up. I normally tend to use the search parameters of the title in the article. Anyways, moderators feel free to close the thread. thanks.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Nope, but judging from their opinion in the story-it isn't terribly hard to extrapolate.

Are you defending

Academics and scholars must be mindful about using research done by only straight, white men, according to two scientists who argued that it oppresses diverse voices and bolsters the status of already privileged and established white male scholars.

Geographers Carrie Mott and Daniel Cockayne argued in a recent paper that doing so also perpetuates what they call "white heteromasculinism," which they defined as a "system of oppression" that benefits only those who are "white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered." (Cisgendered describes people whose gender identity matches their birth sex.)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TacSite18
I think what they are saying is not to only use those research points, not that they are invalid.

Straw man argument in your conclusion.

No, the straw man argument is being done by you. Direct quotes were excerpted in the op. Their argument is that using straight white men published articles "bolsters oppression"...

All you had to do is read the three paragraphs excerpted in the op, and you failed to do that.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think there is something to this. But it has to done more with each individual, and the bias they will have, based on who they are. And this bias could be oppressive to other groups. This would apply to all groups of people however.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I bet they didnt use the scientific method to prove it. Glad we could add Nu-science to our coming Brave New Orwellian dystopia.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: joshysway

So each individual is practicing a biased when they use a white guy's research?

Let's say a person is looking at 2 separate research papers. How do they know the race and sex of the researcher? Is there a info (sex and ethnicity) space on the paper to clue everyone in to keep to the omission of "minority" and women's research papers?

I just want to know the mechanics behind the purposeful exclusion of all but white males in this brilliant story.
edit on 17-7-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
No, and Im sorry for the misunderstanding. My point is more towards the actual research, not the individuals practicing this research.
For example, social research done by Muslims, might not translate to other parts of the world, and could even be bias against say, anlgo-saxon people if this research were the primary source of influence for most decisions. Not intentional, but it could be there.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

The woman quoted in the article...
< br /> Wow, I'd have never guessed someone whining about how the level playing field isn't tilted more in her favor would look like that. /sarcasm

Oh, and how in the blue hell does Geography become a political issue centering around privilege and race? It's borders, legally defined and recognized borders along with physical features of the land for God's sake. This is the type of idjit that whined and cried and stomped feet until anyplace with the word 'squaw' in it was changed or constantly pushes for redefinition of Palestine. Geographers should stick to what they understand: map features, and know their role, shutting their mouths otherwise.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
So extrapolate is you name for a straw man. Got it. Not really kick point in addressing your "fake post."

good by.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Did you read the attached paragraphs?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Without research and innovation from white males, I wonder what this world would be like?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
Without research and innovation from white males, I wonder what this world would be like?

Well, considering white males invented the automobile, the computer (literally ALL the computer's components and most of it's firmware), electricity generation and transmission, refrigeration, glasses, water sanitation, and the internet... suffice it to say a world devoid of white male research and innovation would be a world with far less bitching because people like the geographer in the OP would be too busy struggling to survive to have any time for privileged whining.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Amen

new topics

top topics

join