It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions Announces Justice Department Will Increase Asset Forfeiture

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

By that time, the money is already gone.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
I mean that's all well and good but talk is cheap. You still have the 2nd, and the government can still seize your assets.

I agree, we still each have our own will.

If the government is right, and they only seized the proceeds of crime, then the criminal will hardly want to "fight" for that.

Easy come, easy go.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: FamCore

It's not just that, it's what happens afterward.

It's up to you (in most cases; not all, but most) to prove that whatever has been seized is NOT connected to criminal activity. It's not up to the seizing agency to prove that it IS connected. The burden of proof is on you to prove the negative.

That's mind boggling.

The possibilities for abuse and corruption are overwhelming.

If someone were politically corrupt, that is a whole other layer - target individuals you want to silence? Sure! What about political opponents? Oops! There goes their assets AND their reputation!!

Welcome to dystopia...

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Not a big fan of this. This type of action breeds corruption like crazy.

THANK YOU for your honesty.

It WILL be rememberd.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Isn't this taking things back to the way it was before Obamas administration? Reversing everything his administration did must surely be a good thing.
How big an issue was this before Holder stopped/relaxed the practice? Were assets really taken from the innocent, or was it used to stop criminal operations?

Yes, it would be and no, it isn't a good thing.

It's a big issue among those who know about it.

Money is taken from innocents all the time - and it makes up a fairly significant part of many departments' budgets. Oklahoma was even considering putting card readers in police cars to drain gift cards that officers found after a search.
edit on 19Mon, 17 Jul 2017 19:57:02 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

Asset forfeiture has been around forever and to make it out as something that the Trump administration is responsible for is duplicitous.

I understand the Governments thinking in relation to asset forfeiture, but I don't like the way they implement it, I have always thought that it should only be used after the conviction of a crime and the government should have to show that the assets taken were 'reasonably' thought to be accrued/used due to or in the commission of the crime convicted of.

Wiki on asset/civil forfeiture

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Sessions is increasing "legalized" THEFT. This guy is the opposite of consititutional. Theres nothing defendable about this position. Thieves should be in prison. Sessions should get the cell right next to Clinton.

Folks need to wake up from the "its ok if my team does it" thinking. Bs.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

They seem to hold "the other team" to a much higher standard than the standard of those they vote for.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Isn't this taking things back to the way it was before Obamas administration? Reversing everything his administration did must surely be a good thing.
How big an issue was this before Holder stopped/relaxed the practice? Were assets really taken from the innocent, or was it used to stop criminal operations?

No, Obama couldnt stop civil forfeiture with a GOP congress as it was a law. He could direct the DOJ to not prioritize the practice but he could not stop it and now thanks to Trump,GOP congress, and AG Sessions it is back in full swing.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Oh my... oh my aching sides!

I am very sorry to everyone who voted for someone other than the fool in chief, but DAMN didn't the rest of you ask for this crappy performance of a Presidency! I would be sympathetic to all of you, but some of you damned well deserve this! HAHAHAHA!

In all seriousness though, I would imagine the old school right wingers around here are about as furious as everyone else ought to be about this, given that the idea of civil asset forfeiture laws have always been something of a bugbear of those individuals who have an overwhelming love for and understanding of the constitution.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

No, Obama couldnt stop civil forfeiture with a GOP congress as it was a law. He could direct the DOJ to not prioritize the practice but he could not stop it and now thanks to Trump,GOP congress, and AG Sessions it is back in full swing.

Sounds like Sessions is doing what he promised then - applying the law.
His job is not to apply the law as he sees fit.
The focus should be on Congress.
edit on 18/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If I ran a marijuana business in a state where it's legal i would be hiding any cash you have really well like not in a bank or building because they will be coming after it. I just have that feeling easy money. Locally they took a guys work and trailer because he had a minor outstanding ticket. Truck and trailer was sold by the county within 3 days of the guys arrest. County sold for $5500 the guy had nearly $60k into it. It took 2 years but he finally got a bit of money back but had to go bankrupt first.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Having seen this and read about this issue, here is the take on this:

With any governmental policy there are only 3 real ways to deal with this. 1) You accept it, many people do that, stating that they do nothing wrong and do not see a problem with it. But said people fail to also understand that both the guilty and the innocent are affected by this and even if the person is innocent, they have a very hard time getting back the property that was taken by the law enforcement.

And I have seen the court cases where a person has to spend far more to get their property back, leading me to point 2 on this.

2) The second way is to fight this in court. The problem often is that people fighting to get their items back are not asking in addition to such, that the court ban this practice, getting it on the books, seeking more for their own interest and items. And normally this is what is correct, as they are not thinking of the laws or rules that are giving the police the right to do this, and often can be far worse for the person and forcing people to rely more on banks and not carrying cash. It is a cycle that is getting worse and worse as time goes by.

Now we come to point three on how to fight this. Now I know many would say that we need to take the high road on such, but right now I would say that the high road is the last thing, and that we need to play just as dirty and ultimately force this issue on not only those who would do this, ie the police but also those who are putting this into place. And that is setting them up to lose everything and demand that the law be followed. Think about it, what would they do if say a legislator, or a mayor or a govenor, or even the attorney general were caught with drugs in their homes or in their vehicles, and people knew about it, and demanded that said persons were to forfeit everything for such, would that make a change?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The problem is you don't actually care about the problem, since both parties are at fault It's just an excuse for you to bash Trump, for something you likely turned a blind eye to Obama doing.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

The problem is you don't actually care about the problem, since both parties are at fault It's just an excuse for you to bash Trump, for something you likely turned a blind eye to Obama doing.

So TELL ME...is Trump going to do right and somehow magically shut this DOWN?

HMMM?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Probably not, and I will criticize it. So tell me, did you criticize the last administration for it?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Probably not, and I will criticize it. So tell me, did you criticize the last administration for it?

YES.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I don't remember it but I will take you at your word. This is not a partisan issue, so you should stop trying to make it one.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I don't remember it but I will take you at your word. This is not a partisan issue, so you should stop trying to make it one.

I wasn't AROUND here then. SO. . .

Yeah. You kinda have to.

I wasn't cool then and it's especially not cool NOW.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I think everyone should hold their own party twice as accountable as the other party. Rather than scream Russia, people should be giving Trump credit where it's due and talking about the actual issues, like this, to get him to change them.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join