It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George A. Romero, 'Night of the Living Dead' creator, dies at 77

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well, crap.

He had a good run, a lot of great films, and was a pioneer on the horror genre.

Legendary filmmaker George A. Romero, father of the modern movie zombie and creator of the groundbreaking “Night of the Living Dead” franchise, has died at 77.

Romero died Sunday in his sleep after a “brief but aggressive battle with lung cancer,” according to a statement to The Times provided by his longtime producing partner, Peter Grunwald. Romero died while listening to the score of one his favorite films, 1952’s “The Quiet Man,” with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher Romero, and daughter, Tina Romero, at his side, the family said.

Link

I loved his zombie flicks, from the original Night of the Living Dead to even the most recent. Diary of the Dead is one of the most recent films he did that I really love, both in story and first person format, especially as a social commentary narrative, which was, IMO, brilliant. Of course, Day of the Dead was also exceptional, dark, gory, gritty, bleak. I didn't much care for Survival of the Dead, though.

What are your favorites?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Just saw that, I am done for the day so I will be pouring 2 fingers of good stuff putting in Night and raising a toast to a grand man.

Got to meet him one time, he was a hoot to talk to, pissed off the people at the convention every chance he got; He would get up form his controlled area and go wander around talking to people and signing anything put in front of him.

He really seemed to enjoy meeting his fans.

Till Valhalla George.

eta: Night and Dawn were by far my favorites, but I can honestly say I found enjoyment in all of them.
edit on 16-7-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
GREATEST ZOMBIE MOVIE OF ALL TIME PAST PRESENT FUTURE:

Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

That's the actual full movie (Extra Long Version), and its been up for 10 months!?!

edit on 16-7-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Wes Craven and Romero died within a year of each other.

Sad!

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I will have to join you...

Night of the Living Dead freaked me out when I first seen it. Not many movies have done that.

Rest in peace yet please don't claw your way out of the ground. My heart won't take it.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

Wes Craven and Romero died within a year of each other.

Sad!

Maybe they just didn't want to be around when the zombie apocalypse happens, lol.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Wow, see, Dawn was actually my least favorite of the original Trilogy.

I don't think I've seen the extended version though. Definitely gotta DL that and get into a zombie marathon, lol.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well, #. Thanks for introducing me to the zombie genre and i managed to watch nearly all his movies.

RiP George.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
RIP to a true master of his trade. Mr. Romero set the bar quite high for aspiring artists in the horror genre and his work will remain relevant for a long time to come.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
RIP George. I was a fan of pretty much the entire series. Land of The Dead was surprisingly good, but my favorite of the group was Dawn.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
RIP, one of my favorites.

Night and Dawn at the top, but hard to choose. Land of the Dead, probably not everyone's favorite or close to, but I like how he added that the zombies were receptive to the "skyflowers". Interesting take, an evolution of sorts and he was the right one to do it.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Yeah, Land was really good, too, after such a break in the franchise. Along with the story, I think the updated production value added to it (even though the grit of the previous films, and grit in general makes some horror films more realistic).

I enjoyed the franchise reboot, as I mentioned, what with Land and Diary.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
And hey, let's not forget Creepshow and, imo, the very underrated The Dark Half.

I saw The Dark Half when it first came out because I was a fan of Stephen King, and thought it was good. Watching it again a few years ago, I saw that it was Romero, and I picked up on its dark genius.

As far as Creepshow, I liked it since it cam out because it was just...magical. Creepy. There was a quality about that was like an alternative dimension, not like viewing a film from afar, but being a part of the story (likely due to the narrative between stories).

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Somebody better shoot him in the head....
Just to make sure, yknow....
RIP ?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of those type of movies but he was one of the best in the genre.
He will be missed by many, best wishes to his family.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

He won't stay dead for long, he'll be feasting on our brains for years.

I'm not a big fan of zombie movies but George was the master and pioneer of the modern zombie, you wouldn't be enjoying The walking dead if it wasn't for him.

May the undead rest in pieces.

edit on 17-7-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

edit on 21-7-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

join