It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Triggered!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Is it just me or is this the most annoying and immature thing someone can post these days.

Every time I see it, I start to think I am in the mist of a discussion with a child, some teenager sitting on his parents computer. I find it very annoying, its only in the last year that I have noticed that this annoying phrase that used to be confide to forums like Reddit has now percolated its way onto ATS.

From what I understand to "trigger" someone you basically wind them up to the point they get angry. Why would you want to do that when you are meant to be having a supposedly civil discussion with someone. why would you want to "Trigger" someone, to me its actually country to the terms ATS as its not something that should be part of a civil debate.

I just feel like this whole thing of "Triggering" is the kind of behaviour I would expect form a 14 year old who has the linguistic skills of a child much younger. The immaturity of it makes me cringe, every time I see it, I know that the user has lost the argument. It says I cannot best you in this debate so now I am just going to wind you up and act like a child.

Just something I had to get off my chest.
edit on 16-7-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

...wait for it...

!

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

YES!!!!!! OMG YES! I agree 100%

It's the new in word on the internet and it drives me nuts how it is used in the wrong context almost every time! Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean that's a trigger!

People will post ***** TRIGGER***** At the top of a post and then go on about their hair or something silly and I'm like how in the world is this a trigger! It drives me crazy.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
One of the most irritating things in a long time.

I instantly lose respect for anyone who uses this phrase.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This obsession with Roy Rogers' horse is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There used to be an obligation to not lose your cool amidst the conveyance of important discussion. To do so was to be deemed to have lower class and a small intellect. This was back when people spoke face to face.

The term and usage of triggered has its roots there, although even using the term in lieu of a counter argument brings the user down to the same level.

On the internet, apparently it needs to be pointed out I would surmise.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I instantly lose respect for anyone who uses this phrase.

uh oh! I think I used it once. I won't do it again.

It's intent is to demean the person accused, and cause emotional response instead of reasoned response.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The annoying things I got from the whole election was things like triggered,that stupid pepe character,people posting just to troll and piss people off for fun,MEMES and just generally watching people act like the 14 year olds the OP mentioned.

Watching internet idiocy spread is painful to watch and it is only getting worse.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

it's unskilled trolling at this point.

say something that'll blow my mind.

I want to be truly offended.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

There used to be an obligation to not lose your cool amidst the conveyance of important discussion. To do so was to be deemed to have lower class and a small intellect. This was back when people spoke face to face.

ATS should be no different...only the mud pit is where the garbage is allowed. (within reason)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I avoided using that word because it doesn't help getting my point across and i think it's idiotic to begin with. I tend to not take people seriously who use it like it's an all powerful tool to exert dominance over someone they can't otherwise debate.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I agree, however societies out in the world, real and virtual, disagree.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Adolescents aren't very creative and they tend to be very prone to fads.

It's just a tween thing. Like yugge meme's....and speaking in Caps.

They are just acting out and trying to impress the adults.

In psych terms it's called behavioral confirmation. And can also be described as a covfefe with cognitive perception.

edit on 16-7-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Adolescents aren't very creative and they tend to be very prone to fads.

It's just a tween thing. Like yugge meme's....and speaking in Caps.

They are just acting out and trying to impress the adults.

Hypocrisy not withstanding? -believe me

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

it's unskilled trolling at this point.

say something that'll blow my mind.

I want to be truly offended.

"Your opinion matters."

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I am livid!

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

From what I understand to "trigger" someone you basically wind them up to the point they get angry. Why would you want to do that when you are meant to be having a supposedly civil discussion with someone. why would you want to "Trigger" someone, to me its actually country to the terms ATS as its not something that should be part of a civil debate.

Like any new meme it gets over-used, but from my point of view, you are embodying the definition in your response. The whole idea is that you are over-reacting. You are being "triggered" by something that ought not to get a reaction from you. I say something innocent, and you are so worked up by the idea that it "triggers" you. You see something that offends you, like "Yay, Trump!" (for those who hate him) and that "triggers" these people into an over-reaction. Another example: e have seen cases whet the mere presence of a white person "triggers" a person of color t such an extent that they need "safe spaces" where there won;t be a chance that white people are observed, you know, walking down the street or whatever.

A more traditional definition of "triggered" comes from psychology where, for example, a war veteran with PTSD hears fireworks which reminds him of combat, and this "triggers" a panic attack, but this definition has been twisted to the current meme you are complaining about associated with the SJW crowd and political issues.

The point is that NOBODY is intentionally "winding someone up until they get angry." It;s just that the "triggered" person is over-reacting in an unreasonable manner. It's an excuse for bad behavior. I really think you've got the definition of the word entirely wrong here.
edit on 7/16/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I've been called triggered 3 times today.

Personally, I have no problem with it, because like you said, they are only exposing themselves.

I'm also guilty of it, but that's because it's deliberate and not because I have nothing else to say. My tone usually depends on who I'm talking to, so if I'm posting memes and trolling somebody, that's just how I feel about them.

Which is pretty childish of me, I know.

Oh well. With some people there is just no point in trying to be civil.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Is it just me or is this the most annoying and immature thing someone can post these days.

Every time I see it, I start to think I am in the mist of a discussion with a child, some teenager sitting on his parents computer. I find it very annoying, its only in the last year that I have noticed that this annoying phrase that used to be confide to forums like Reddit has now percolated its way onto ATS.

From what I understand to "trigger" someone you basically wind them up to the point they get angry. Why would you want to do that when you are meant to be having a supposedly civil discussion with someone. why would you want to "Trigger" someone, to me its actually country to the terms OFATS as its not something that should be part of a civil debate.

I just feel like this whole thing of "Triggering" is the kind of behavior I would expect from a 14 year old who has the linguistic skills of a child much younger. The immaturity of it makes me cringe, every time I see it, I know that the user has lost the argument. It says I cannot best you in this debate so now I am just going to wind you up and act like a child.

Just something I had to get off my chest.

I highlighted in Bold all your grammar and spelling mistakes....I was triggered....triggered by the person who is triggered by triggered...triggered has now lost all meaning to me.

Trigger trigger trigger....I'll see myself out.

edit on 16-7-2017 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I just feel like this whole thing of "Triggering" is the kind of behaviour I would expect form a 14 year old who has the linguistic skills of a child much younger. The immaturity of it makes me cringe, every time I see it,

This is the best thing I have ever read... You are literally triggered by people using the word triggered XD

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHhHhHHhHhGgG

Im so triggered by this post! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
edit on 16-7-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join