It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuffed Artichokes. How do you stuff yours?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Artichokes are one of the things I remember about my dad. I was probably 3 years old but it is one of my oldest memories of my dad, eating artichokes with him in a butter sauce. My mom said they were his favorite and she can't believe I remember that but in some ways I guess it was a fond fun memory so it has always stuck in my head. I have been craving artichokes for quite some time so I bought some. I made a stuffed one last night and it was soooo good! I wish I had more! I use to stuff them with a sausage mixture but I can't eat sausage anymore so I just used a panko mixture.

I didn't measure anything so I'll give a rough estimate. You can pretty much use as much or little as you want just make sure to use enough evoo to mix everything so it's wet and sticky, that's the best way to describe it!

INGREDIENTS

1. Panko, about a cup
2. Fresh grated parmesan cheese, 3/4 maybe 1 cup. IMO you can never have enough cheese!
3. EVOO-Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used 2 tbs in the panko mix and then drizzled about 2 tbs on top of the artichoke before I put it in the oven and drizzled a little in the
bottom of the cooking dish with the water.
4. Lemon juice (about 3 tbs)
5. Fresh minced garlic (2 tbs in the panko mixture and 1tbs in the pan with the water)
6. Italian seasoning, this is strictly up to your own tastes preference. I probably used about 1-2 tbs)
7. Artichoke

DIRECTIONS.

First you want to cut the artichoke leaves on the ends, then cut the top off and scrape out the stringy insides. Set aside

Mix panko, cheese, evoo, lemon juice, garlic and Italian seasoning in a bowl.

Pull the leaves back of the artichoke and stuff accordingly. Place artichoke in a small baking dish where it fits somewhat snug, add about a half an inch of water, some lemon juice, garlic and evoo to the water. Top artichoke with some EVOO, extra cheese and garlic. Cover baking dish with foil and poke a few holes so it can vent. Bake at 375F for an hour. Time can vary depending on how big it is and how much you stuff it with . Artichoke is done when you can easily pull back the petals of the artichoke and a fork pierces the heart.

Before it went into the oven

After it was done

HOW DO YOU EAT YOUR ARTICHOKES? Share your recipes! I need new ways to eat it since the ways i use to make them I can't because of my stupid stomach now! No sausage or bacon
But if you do use those share anyways!
edit on 7/16/2017 by mblahnikluver because: what is EVOO

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Whats Panko and EVOO??

I get my artichokes in a jar so I am no help.

I call parmesan cheese,stinky foot cheese...yuck.
I'd still eat that though.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Whats Panko and EVOO??

I get my artichokes in a jar so I am no help.

I call parmesan cheese,stinky foot cheese...yuck.
I'd still eat that though.

DRUMS!!!!

Panko is a like a breadcrumb, it's a Japanese style breadcrumb and soooo much tastier imo!

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil

I LOVE Parmesan cheese mmmmmmmmmmmm.

It was so good. I could have eaten two!

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

Stuffed Artichokes. How do you stuff yours?!

With my hands, duh.

I like mine simple, homemade bread crumbs, some garlic, a little sprinkle of fresh lemon juice and a crap ton of butter.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Stuffed Artichokes. How do you stuff yours?!

With my hands, duh.

I like mine simple, homemade bread crumbs, some garlic, a little sprinkle of fresh lemon juice and a crap ton of butter.

HAHA!! I laughed out loud to your first reply.

I didn't use any butter. That's how my dad ate them but I can't do much butter without it killing my insides. I substitute EVOO for butter a lot now.

He use to make this butter, garlic and mayo mix and dunk the petals in that. I don't think my stomach would like that!

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Olive oil is a perfectly good substitute, especially if you use a very high quality one.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I've never dabbled in artichokes so I'm no help there but I seen you posting a little and almost ask you to put up more pictures of your food! Some people just got it, nice job.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Olive oil is a perfectly good substitute, especially if you use a very high quality one.

Oh yes! I curse when I buy EVOO because it is expensive! I am very picky about what kinds I get. Sometimes when i haven't had the money I have had to go cheap and boy can I tell a difference! I cook with EVOO a lot because I can't have too much butter anymore. I use evoo instead of butter in cookies and it actually pretty good!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezwaxes

I've never dabbled in artichokes so I'm no help there but I seen you posting a little and almost ask you to put up more pictures of your food! Some people just got it, nice job.

Thanks! I use to post A LOT in this forum before I had my son and I had time to post on here. It's funny how ATS is my go to place to find my own recipes because I don't keep them anywhere else but here! You can look at my profile and find all kinds of recipes I've posted. Some I will repost because I have mastered a better way to make it!

I love to cook, always have and now my son who is 4 loves it too! I posted a few weeks ago a thread of him making meatballs, he is oh so serious with his meatballs and cooking in general. I always say he will make some woman very happy one day with his cooking skills!

Do you not like artichokes or is it that you just don't cook with them? I love to put them in anything!! MMMM!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Now i feel like such a culinary neanderthal,i am 52 and have not ever in my life eaten an artichoke
Mblah that looks delicious,and i agree-one can never have enough cheese,especially Parmesan
I use it in so many dishes,not just Italian.It's awesome over any veggie dish too.In soups,and homemade breads and rolls,etc.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
Now i feel like such a culinary neanderthal,i am 52 and have not ever in my life eaten an artichoke
Mblah that looks delicious,and i agree-one can never have enough cheese,especially Parmesan
I use it in so many dishes,not just Italian.It's awesome over any veggie dish too.In soups,and homemade breads and rolls,etc.

Hey I was 35 when I had my first avocado! NOW I love them and wonder why i never ate one before! So it's never too late to try. I have eaten them my entire life, they were my dads favorite snack food. They can be expensive so I don't buy them often. I have found that for most people they don't know what to do with an artichoke. The best way is to stuff it and you can literally stuff it with anything! I use to stuff them with my stuffed mushroom mixture but I can't have sausage anymore, let me tell you that was a good stuffed artichoke! My dad use to make a butter, garlic and mayo mixture he dunked the petals in. They really don't have all that much flavor on their own. lol

OH yes there is no such thing as too much garlic or parmesan and if someone says that you don't need them in your life! LOL I always have tons of both on hand. My son recently made mashed potatoes and he went to town with the parmesan. I tried to take it because he was about to dump the entire container in there but he said to me "NO mommy I will say when it's enough" lmao and well they actually turned out really good and he had two servings of them.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Oh yes! I curse when I buy EVOO because it is expensive! I am very picky about what kinds I get. Sometimes when i haven't had the money I have had to go cheap and boy can I tell a difference! I cook with EVOO a lot because I can't have too much butter anymore. I use evoo instead of butter in cookies and it actually pretty good!

When I get a chance I'll give you my recipe for olive oil-rosemary cake. It's not overly sweet and goes well with some preserves.

edit on 17-7-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I Love avo! If you can eat chicken,i saw a recipe on a local news site recently for baked avo stuffed with shredded chicken and cheese,the pic made it look sumptuous! If you want i can look for it later when by pc.I found it on the site where i got my beef jerky soup recipe.I'm wary of posting a recipe for a dish i have not yet made myself but its mostly just avo,chicken and cheese so i suppose not much can go wrong
Next time i'm in the capital i will defo look for artichokes,you have now made me very curious-from your pics and descriptions they sound versatile and really good

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

When I get a chance I'll give you my recipe for olive oil-rosemary cake. It's no overly sweet and goes well with some preserves.

OMG that sounds sooooo good! Rosemary is my favorite herb!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

My favorite Herb is Hancock. He's an awesome musician.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

No bacon?

No Mushrooms?

I am calling Ramsay.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

OMG that sounds sooooo good! Rosemary is my favorite herb!

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 325 F and spray a 10-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Beat the eggs in a mixer for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is very foamy and pale in color. With the mixer running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Take a spatula and gently fold the rosemary into the batter.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low speed slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I've just never been around anyone who cooked with them or, ever had the urge to take the plunge. I've had marinated artichoke hearts and liked them a lot but I'd like about anything marinated right. I'll have to give em a shot, couldn't imagine not liking what you did and what your dad used to do sounds good to me too.

Nice that your boy's into it, I'd say that's a very good sign. Not to mention it's something he and those around him can enjoy his whole life.

I'll keep an eye out when shopping. We're getting close to harvest season in general and man I get hungry just thinking about it.

edit on 7/17/2017 by beezwaxes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
mmm, looks delicious

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane

I Love avo! If you can eat chicken,i saw a recipe on a local news site recently for baked avo stuffed with shredded chicken and cheese,the pic made it look sumptuous! If you want i can look for it later when by pc.I found it on the site where i got my beef jerky soup recipe.I'm wary of posting a recipe for a dish i have not yet made myself but its mostly just avo,chicken and cheese so i suppose not much can go wrong
Next time i'm in the capital i will defo look for artichokes,you have now made me very curious-from your pics and descriptions they sound versatile and really good

OH that sounds so good!!! Yes I would love the recipe when you have the time!

Thank you!

Yea there are many ways to cook an artichoke, it's been a while since i even cooked one but I started having a craving for one! They just take a while to cook lol so if you want something quick it's not an artichoke!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join