It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London underground tube staff aren't allowed to say 'Ladies and Gentleman' anymore

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

why should things change? change is the nature of the universe.
without change, you'd be sitting in a tree flinging excrement
instead of doing it over the internet.

why is it up to you to dictate exactly how much change is acceptable?

i'm not saying you can't complain. clearly you can and do and we're subjected to hundreds of identical absolutely interminable threads on the subject.
what i'm trying to get at is WHY you're complaining.
a small change has been made and now some people feel more accepted in public.
maybe it's a large number of people, maybe small - i find that totally immaterial.
the point is now some people feel more included.
nobody has been alienated, public language has just been expanded slightly to be ever so slightly more considerate.
what's so bad about that?

i get it, change is scary.
The key part in your quote here is "some people"
What about the rest of us who would still like to be able to identify as a male or female in this case ladies & gentlemen. In fact you have been highly hypocritical throughout this thread. You bang on about change for a small amount of people being good and berate someone for not liking the change. Why can't someone not agree with this? Why is their opinion in your eyes invalid because it doesn't fit with your agenda or the LGBT community's? You and your merrymen sorry merry whatever your identifying as on that day have and continue to take PC to a place where it is now making others uncomfortable and resentful of your community

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: disconnected8

i'm sorry, are you honestly trying to tell me that being referred to collectively as, for example, 'passengers' is offensive?
especially in light of the fact that most public transport is already like this?????
maybe, if it's so vitally important, you should stop banging on about the moral decline of the universe, go down to the transit authority, and put your crucial needs to them.

also, if you've been reading my posts in this thread you will know that i am extremely binarist and i cherish my womanhood probably far more than any cis person who never had to fight for their gender could begin to understand, so maybe also take that faux righteous indignation and swallow it and try for some freaking empathy for once.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

i'm sorry, are you honestly trying to tell me that being referred to collectively as, for example, 'passengers' is offensive?
especially in light of the fact that most public transport is already like this?????
maybe, if it's so vitally important, you should stop banging on about the moral decline of the universe, go down to the transit authority, and put your crucial needs to them.

also, if you've been reading my posts in this thread you will know that i am extremely binarist and i cherish my womanhood probably far more than any cis person who never had to fight for their gender could begin to understand, so maybe also take that faux righteous indignation and swallow it and try for some freaking empathy for once.

No I'm not. I'm questioning why you won't let anyone else have their own opinions and in doing so is showing hypocrisy in your own arguments
edit on 19-7-2017 by disconnected8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   

how on earth is me sharing my opinion on a public message board [to reiterate; that this change is unnecessary but small and doesn't hurt anyone, and people getting bent out of shape over it is silly] preventing anyone else from having an opinion?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
what are you losing ?

Me?? personally nothing .... as I pointed out I am not easily offended.

I spent 20 plus years as the only female in a sales force of just over a hundred

men, and was constantly referred to as a salesman ..... was I offended?

NO.... As one very eminent playwrite put it >>>>

after all whats in a name that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet

you are offended because you arent getting anything in return from this change ?

I personally am not offended, I am too busy with living to nit pick and look for

examples at every turn in life to see if I can find a niche to make complaints of

inequality and hurt feelings ..... lifes not fair get over it!

**You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time**

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
So, just change the greeting to:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, and variations on that theme."

Right to the point, anyway.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Take a step back and look at how you worded your response to the poster the one i originally qouted.There's sharing an opinion and then there's sharing an opinion whilst being condescending. In fact questioning them as to why it is up to them to dictate whilst doing the very same thing. I get it your so far left that your a morally superior being to everyone else. I'm done good day

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: eletheia

Theres a thread still current ...

Misandrists and misogynists
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why are men always shown as stupid in these ads. Imagine the outrage if the situations were reversed in Ads

I read the other day that these types of ads which show guys as stupid people who don't know how to cook or clean are to be stopped and those which show women cleaning and cooking are to be stopped being produced. ha ha. I guess these types of ads do show us in a bad light and shows us that women do all the domestic chores! Funny though i never really took much note of it, I just used to laugh at them (the guys anyway), watching women take somehing out of an oven and serve it at a table didn't really cause me to think 'oh look they have a woman baking a pudding... isn't that offensive'? No, i just viewed it as if so.. its an advert. Wouldn't bother me if it was a guy taking something out of an oven.

Anyways, this is all daft, there's been many shows on tv with male chefs & female chefs. Who cares who takes the friggin pot out of the oven? Jeeez.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The London Underground genuinely seem to care about their passengers, they are even designing maps that help people with claustrophobia and anxiety and are also striving towards a zero emissions future; people and environmental positive action.

'We want everyone to feel welcome on our transport network'.

"This new map is an excellent resource for those wishing to avoid journeys where there are tunnels, serving as a great pre-journey planning aid and increasing access to public transport. "I sincerely hope that the map will encourage those with claustrophobia and/or panic attacks who have previously avoided this form of public transport out of fear to reconsider their use of the Tube." About 10 per cent of people in the UK sometimes suffer claustrophobia, according to the NHS.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

The key part in your quote here is "some people" What about the rest of us who would still like to be able to identify as a male or female in this case ladies & gentlemen. In fact you have been highly hypocritical throughout this thread. You bang on about change for a small amount of people being good and berate someone for not liking the change. Why can't someone not agree with this? Why is their opinion in your eyes invalid because it doesn't fit with your agenda or the LGBT community's? You and your merrymen sorry merry whatever your identifying as on that day have and continue to take PC to a place where it is now making others uncomfortable and resentful of your community

if you feel emasculated by them dropping ladies and gentlemen, use the bus.
stop watching tv too, only attend the theatre where they may still say that.
you can't have faux outrage for one without the other.

ps: this isn't a lgbt thing it's common sense, society on a whole does not greet each other sir or madam, punk kids not giving their seats up for elders must be part of this non conspiracy too.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

The London Underground genuinely seem to care about their passengers..."

I'll stop you right there. You have obviously not had the pleasure of regularly using the Tube, otherwise you might find that opinion somewhat at odds with most users' experience.....

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

The London Underground genuinely seem to care about their passengers..."

I'll stop you right there. You have obviously not had the pleasure of regularly using the Tube, otherwise you might find that opinion somewhat at odds with most users' experience.....

The usual gripe with passengers, because I use to ride the Toronto subway often, is over-crowding and poor a/c and ventilation...and of course delays due to repairs as London and Toronto subways are aging dinosaurs at this point in time. Those are technical and operational issues which some are dependent on their budget. But when people complain, which we should all do because if you don't then nothing will ever be rectified or looked at to be changed, at least here in Canada, the issues are dealt with quickly.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Air conditioning? Blimey. Perhaps I should move to Canada, then.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Air conditioning? Blimey. Perhaps I should move to Canada, then.

I would suggest buying a car instead and move out of the big City.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Got one already and done that too.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Got one already and done that too.

I have yet to move out of the big City, but hopefully in a few months we will.

As for a/c in Toronto subways and not in London subways, your Summer temps don't come close to our high temps and with the over-crowding issue, it is a necessity here; even being underground.

www.currentresults.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Its been pretty hot and humid over here. We have had it in the 30's.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Its been pretty hot and humid over here. We have had it in the 30's.

Same here, so a/c is a must and the people there should complain and ask for it.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

It's offensive when you tell me everything has to be gender neutral and it's offensive for me to say ladies and gentlemen. What they are changing it to is not offensive, WHY they are doing it is.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: growler
ps: this isn't a lgbt thing it's common sense, society on a whole does not greet each other sir or madam, punk kids not giving their seats up for elders must be part of this non conspiracy too.

Actually where I live the expectation is to refer to everyone as sir/mister or miss/ma'am.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join