It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London underground tube staff aren't allowed to say 'Ladies and Gentleman' anymore

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
There are only 2 genders, so "Ladies and Gentlemen" should suffice.

Not surprised to see this in London, though.. almost as big a Sh**hole as New York or LA.

edit on 18/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: kaylaluv

Which avoids the argument of whether ladies and gentlemen is offensive. Hint, it's not.

Neither is passengers

And I would not care if they used the term. It's not the term, it's WHY they changed that matters.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: 0racle
Ah, who cares... maybe they're right... ladies and gentlemen is a bit old fashioned...

I agree and not every woman is a lady and not every man is a gentleman. How about "Attention passengers - you are being taken for a ride"?

Or ladies, gentlemen, and the rest of you scum.

Or "People" Get ready for here it comes...the next station?

I am fine with that .. or they can do ladies and gentlemen. The problem is not that "people" is bad, it's that ladies and gentlemen isn't bad.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Ah, who cares... maybe they're right... ladies and gentlemen is a bit old fashioned...

I agree and not every woman is a lady and not every man is a gentleman. How about "Attention passengers - you are being taken for a ride"?

I am fine with that .. or they can do ladies and gentlemen. The problem is not that "people" is bad, it's that ladies and gentlemen isn't bad.

After reading the book "The Women's Room" by Marilyn French, it made me take a second look at this type of outdated reference and other gender references, so I think we should not blindly accept questionable old-fashioned social norms.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ototheb85
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This has made me so mad, Pandering to snowflakes!

what about the majority like me who this offends? don't I get a say?

which part offends you? is it just change in general , or is it a change to a gender neutral phrase , I dont get how changing one phrase to another offends you.

Is acceptance of different people that offends you ?

I cant see why you are offended by changing a phrase to a gender neutral phrase , how can that possibly offend someone

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
which part offends you? is it just change in general , or is it a change to a gender neutral phrase , I dont get how changing one phrase to another offends you.
I cant see why you are offended by changing a phrase to a gender neutral phrase , how can that possibly offend someone

Fortunately I am not easily offended.

However as I am not gender neutral I feel I am not being catered for.

therefor others are being catered for at my expense ....

So I am asking for fairness rather than equality .....

Is that wrong of me

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

After reading the book "The Women's Room" by Marilyn French, it made me take a second look at this type of outdated reference and other gender references, so I think we should not blindly accept questionable old-fashioned social norms.
No one is blindly doing anything except the people saying ladies and gentlemen are outdated terms that need to be abandoned.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

originally posted by: ototheb85
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This has made me so mad, Pandering to snowflakes!

what about the majority like me who this offends? don't I get a say?

And what about the people who WANT to be called a lady or a gentleman? Why does the small minority need acceptance and to be catered to only? Is acceptance of people different from them so offensive to them?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Which avoids the argument of whether ladies and gentlemen is offensive. Hint, it's not.

Neither is passengers

And I would not care if they used the term. It's not the term, it's WHY they changed that matters.

What, are you the thought police?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

No one is blindly doing anything except the people saying ladies and gentlemen are outdated terms that need to be abandoned.

The company is in the business of selling a product (subway rides) to a diverse range of people, so they have to be inclusive in their terminology and keep their eyes open to future changes and change as is appropriate. Individuals do not have to change if they don't want to, they can cling on to outdated references and use them at will, but don't expect businesses to cater to the few, they will always cater to the many.

"...“Good evening, ladies and germs,” Berle would announce."

www.psychologytoday.com...
edit on 17CDT01America/Chicago05510131 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Neither is passengers

No, apparently that would be the London Underground.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Last I checked there are still only 2 biological sexes. Last I checked a huge part of the LGBT fight was to call a TS man by their chosen gender, to call them a lady, and now doing so is outdated. Claiming something is outdated does not make it so.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yes, there are two biological sexes - men and women. Using the ladies and gentlemen terminology puts labels and or expected behaviours on people that may or may not be present - usually not present.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well I self-identify as a 65-year old. I plan to start collecting social security now.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Yes, there are two biological sexes - men and women. Using the ladies and gentlemen terminology puts labels and or expected behaviours on people that may or may not be present - usually not present.
Sorry, that's PC bullcrap. There is no expectation put on anyone when someone says that.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Sorry, that's PC bullcrap. There is no expectation put on anyone when someone says that.

Yes, there are always expectations (realized or imagined) put out there. Whether or not one realizes it is another issue.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonymousCitizen
Well I self-identify as a 65-year old. I plan to start collecting social security now.

Wish I could identify as that.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Neither is passengers

No, apparently that would be the London Underground.

Thinking, yes...police, no...it's just business.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

That seems like that is your problem, why are you putting expectations on people?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

That seems like that is your problem, why are you putting expectations on people?

It's not whether or not it is a problem, it is whether or not one accepts this as a fact of life and social interaction.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join