It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how does facebook know things about you if you dont have a facebook account?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
its creepy man.
i just signed up for a facebook account last night. my brother is a pro fighter and he was piping his fight to facebook live so signed up.
so i signed up and right away the first thing was here are some people you may know.

there were a couple people i work with.
a dude i used to work with
a chick that works around the corner at the gas station
a dude i used to talk to and his girlfriend

i dont understand how they know these they might be connected to me

i did not sign up with an email. i used my phone number.
none of the people they listed are in my contacts list. i have never called or texted any of them.
i would text back and forth with the dude i used to talk to but not with this number. never his girl.
never the girl at the gas station.
the dudes i work with and used to work with have never had my number and i have never emailed any of these people and i did not sign up with an email anyway.

its #in creepy man. it makes me wonder what type of database i am in and how they make these connections.

anyone know how they do it?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Skynet.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The Matrix Has You.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

You "friended" your brother? They're probably "friends" with your brother. Anyone linked to your "friends" gets channeled to you.

edit on 16-7-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Your "friended" your brother? They're probably "friends" with your brother. Anyone linked to your "friends" gets channeled to you.

this was immediately after i signed up. i had not added anyone or messaged anyone yet. their recommended list came up immediately.
and my brother is not friends with any of them.
i am in ohio and he is in south carolina. he has been there for years. long before i met anyone i mentioned. thats not the connection.

its just very strange man

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

they are people that where friends with someone on your friends list.

or they are people who have at some point searched out your name on Facebook,
or they may have photos on Facebook with you in them, (facial recognition software)
or they may just have people on their friends list with the same surname as you and live nearby.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: pryingopen3rdeye

they are people that where friends with someone on your friends list.

or they are people who have at some point searched out your name on Facebook,
or they may have photos on Facebook with you in them, (facial recognition software)
or they may just have people on their friends list with the same surname as you and live nearby.

the only one that makes sense is they may have searched me. i dont know why the dudes girl or the chick at the gas station would but i guess it could happen

there definitely is no photo's on there with me in the pic. certain about that.

i guess the same name thing is a possibility too but its small cause i dont have the most common name.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If you gave them any info like birthdate, area, schools etc they can reach you-they have algorithms for finding out everything about you-they are evil-you have no privacy once you join.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

People are blissfully unaware of how far along the AI actually is.

Every purchase you make, google search, email, quite literally everything is being collected and put through high level algorithms.

It is funny to realize that we have a virtual lab that has been set up all around us and now you got people like Regina Duggan, ex Darp executive, ex Google executive, and now FB artificial executive, this nut job advocates something she calls Vitamin Authentication.

It is public knowledge that Cambridge Analytica, has 5000 data points on each and every American.

Cambridge Analytica famously states its database contains over 5,000 data points on nearly every American consumer. The company is hardly the only big data company to make grand assertions about the power of analytics. Nearly every firm that TechRepublic spoke with while reporting this story agreed that big data is undeniably powerful and expressed concern that "magical" claims undermine the true value of analytics.

Odds are the competing big data companies are all a show and that ultimately there is a hub that all of this information is going to.

Best to pray for benevolent coders to be sneaking benevolence into the AI, IMHO!
edit on America/ChicagoSundayAmerica/Chicago07America/Chicago731pmSunday12 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
If you gave them any info like birthdate, area, schools etc they can reach you-they have algorithms for finding out everything about you-they are evil-you have no privacy once you join.

gave my name, birthday, and phone number
still baffles me how this info connects me to a lady i see everyday at the gas station
just strange

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Proximity, cookies, etc. Your phone number is usually area-dependent (with cell phones not as much as it used to be.) You've got tons of information in cookies stored on you own computer. Just look yourself up on google. There's a lot of public information known about most people.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yeah. All the below X all your friends, neighbors, bosses...if you exist...theres a record of you cross indexed through the INTER-NET.(why its called a WEB)

Postal Service
Driver License
Car registration
Car Insurance
Graduation Record
Social Media
Employment
Emails
Phone Carrier
Internet Provider
All your friends and family
Mortage or Landlord
Bank or Credit Union
Credit cards
Debit Cards
Doctors
Dentists
Clubs you belong
Mail Lists

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

They know your card purchases, and all other kinds of personal data linked to your credit/ debit card. All of your internet purchases, and all of your internet searches.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Yeah. All the below X all your friends, neighbors, bosses...if you exist...theres a record of you cross indexed through the INTER-NET.(why its called a WEB)

Postal Service
Driver License
Car registration
Car Insurance
Graduation Record
Social Media
Employment
Emails
Phone Carrier
Internet Provider
All your friends and family
Mortage or Landlord
Bank or Credit Union
Credit cards
Debit Cards
Doctors
Dentists
Clubs you belong
Mail Lists

lol not so much, but some.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkwingduck

They know your card purchases, and all other kinds of personal data linked to your credit/ debit card. All of your internet purchases, and all of your internet searches.

no...

where are you guys getting this? so much no, unless you link it first.. lol

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Proximity, cookies, etc. Your phone number is usually area-dependent (with cell phones not as much as it used to be.) You've got tons of information in cookies stored on you own computer. Just look yourself up on google. There's a lot of public information known about most people.

so proximity and my area code would connect me to the girl at the gas station?
it weirds me out cause she is not a total stranger. she lives in my neighborhood and has a kid the same age as my daughter so my wife and i talk to her when we go to the gas station and she always gives my daughter suckers. we have met at the park a couple times for the kids to play.
never exchanged numbers or emails though?

thats the real creepy part. its like facebook knows that i know her and they shouldnt know that.

like the dude that was on the list from the place i used to work at. creepy
i left the foundry and went to that place for just a few months then back to the foundry.
i talked to that dude while i was at work. never exchanged numbers or emails.
he lives in the same county but not the same city. much younger than me and has no connection to anyone i know.

i know a month or so ago my wife googled her name and our address showed up. showed i was her husband. showed the names and addresses of others in our neighborhood as well as their age. that was all from voter registration.

facebook throwing a connection to a girl at the station or the girlfriend of a dude i used to talk to is just creeping me out.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Them, like Google, being a component of "The Deep State", that alone has them access to all sorts of databases most mortals know nothing about.

Then having billions allows them to buy access to all the endless databases collected by endless bots and surveys and etc across the Interwebs.

Then if people talk about you in their Facebook then their AI has that in the pool too.

And so on.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
In this day and age with all the BS that goes on why would anyone join facebook????....!!!!!!!

You make one comment that is perceived as inappropriate to someone (It always is!!) you can land in proper deep water, that comment you made yesterday could still be accessed years from now, be it political or even asking a girl to get her baps out.. Can you see how that can be used against you???..

The people I know that have been blackmailed or lost careers, wife kids, the lot and for what???.. If you want to chat to someone pick up the phone, Facebook is destructive as hell.

Sure if you have never used it then who am I to saying anything just know the pitfalls and where innocent and not so innocent comments can land you..

RA
edit on 16-7-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Facebook gets data from thousands of sources. From your browsing history using tracking cookies and google analytics, to what others post about you.

You no longer need to be involved in your own online presence for you to have one.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Justso

gave my name, birthday, and phone number
still baffles me how this info connects me to a lady i see everyday at the gas station
just strange

Not really.
You both swiped cards there around the same time on multiple occasions. They know the proximity you two were to each other.

They know more about you than you do.

Carry a cell? Grocery stores can and do track it- aisle by aisle, then compare that data to what you purchased.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join