It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skies over London - 6th July 2017

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Hi ATS

I'm always one to reach for my phone's camera when something interesting is in the skies.

Here's two from last week:

Apache I think. There were actually 2 however I couldn't get my phone camera up quick enough. These were flying South West in the direction of Southwark. I'm not too sure why there would ever be Apache's over London?

I'm not sure what this is - identification help would be great. There were actually two flying East towards the Shard/Tower Bridge.111

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Loque76

Just a guess, new type of training drill? Or simply gauging response time? Hard to say. The way things have escalated over there they may be preparing stronger and faster responses.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Blue Thunder are known to have at least one apache in their arsenal. It could have been one of their training exercises I think or it could have just been a regular training exercise.

Still pretty interesting stuff.
edit on 16-7-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
These are not rare. There are military barracks with helipads in central London. If they are not transporting VIPs and staff, then they are exercising.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Some pictures in this article of Blue Thunder, but IMO its not the same helicopter, certainly different paint job

examples of Blue Thunder

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
Some pictures in this article of Blue Thunder, but IMO its not the same helicopter, certainly different paint job

examples of Blue Thunder

They use Eurocopters.

But they are also know to have at least one Apache in their fleet.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Cheers, I have zero knowledge of Army/Aviation vehicles, was just going with a laymans view

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The large helicopter looks like a 'Merlin' to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

first one is apache.
second one could be merlin as somone mentioned above.

googling apaches over london brings up the fact its not an uncommon sight.

nice pics.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Yup, I've seen longbows over London many, many times, as far back as early 2001, before 9/11 and "The Troubles 2.0: Now With Extra Falafel!"

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Whereas I am no expert by any means... I have something of an affinity for the Apache.

I doubt the first is an Apache. The front end is too angular.... comes to too much of an exaggerated point at the front. My aunt was a civilian in charge of logistics for the Huey during Viet Nam, then the Apache during Desert Storm. As a civilian, she had the equivalent rank within the military that would bump a lieutenant colonel on flights. She knew I loved Apaches when I was younger, and provided me with reams of non classified documents on them. I'm not an aviation aficionado in general, but I do love the Apache. I do not think that was an Apache. Particularly as I've had them flying about 3-4 hundred feet above me along 95 heading north towards the Pentagon. Freaked me the hell out at first, then I'm surprised I didn't cause a wreck from looking to the sky instead of the road

The second, I have no doubt at all was not an Apache. Looked bulkier, like something that would be a troop transport, but it seemed smaller than a blackhawk. Not sure at all what it was.

Great photos though

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

The first is definitely an Apache. The radar mast matches the Longbow, the landing gear matches, the tail rotor matches...

edit on 7/16/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

As stated, I make no claims to be an expert on the topic. However, I disagree with you. I do not *think* it is an Apache. I could very well be wrong.

To which, undoubtedly you'll immediately proclaim. *shrugs*

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Agree with you on that see them flying up here quite a lot.

2nd is definitely a Merlin as well.
edit on 16-7-2017 by Woody510 because: Extra information

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
They have Apache Longbows going through Duxford..

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Since when?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

No, I'm just going to point out that there are very few helicopters with a mast mounted radar like that one has.

The OH-58:

The Tiger:

The Apache:

The Kiowa, and the Tiger both have mast mounted sighting systems, but they're too round compared to the one in the image in the OP. That one is flatter, and only the AH-64 has a similar system mounted on the rotors like that. There are some others that have a mast mounted sight, but they're Chinese and Russian and probably wouldn't be seen flying over London.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
they usally fly down from norfork/suffolk using the a12 corridor and peel off around brentwood/warley to between woolwich and the qe2 bridge across the thames to the north downs then loop back or they carry on south of london to head towards salisbury, boscombe down etc for exercises

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The second is definitely a Merlin I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. As for the Apaches they are based in the Ipswich part of the country I see them a bit flying through Essex heading toward The Thames and London. You might get lucky and get a Chinook (twinning rotor helicopter) fly in London

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Sorry but you are wrong, it is an AH-64 Longbow as stated by Zaph, I dont recall if the UK currently has any E models delivered yet so it could be either a D or E, both are pretty much indistinguishable from a distance. Britain uses them and does not have anything else in their inventory that looks remotely like it.

The second aircraft is unmistakably an EH-101 Merlin.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join