It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will Jesus return, according to the NT?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
In the New Testament, specifically in the Book of Revelation, we are told that Jesus will come back when least expected, "like a thief in the night." So what does this really mean?

While most people seem to interpret this to refer to Jesus appearing to everyone, could it not have a more individualistic interpretation? Perhaps it means that Jesus will appear to people upon their deaths.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: polyath

In regards to human knowledge of history and evolution, religion is corrupt thievery

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   

I have a question. Supposedly when he left he stopped and said, I am leaving now, but I will be back.

Where did he go that it takes thousands of years to go there and then return?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Like nearly everything in scripture, it's ambiguous and can be interpreted in many ways.

-could mean Jesus will return at "the rapture."

-could've meant he'd return when Jerusalem was destroyed back in 70 AD.

-could just be the rantings of a man in exile hallucinating.

More than likely, they're talking about Christ in the metaphysical sense returning as a loving consciousness that one finds in themselves at their highest self.

....but it's anyone's guess

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

He'll appear as a theif in the night to those who are not prepared.

That's actually a verse that pre tribbers like to pull out of context in order to teach the doctrine of imminent return.

In context it's more understabdable:

For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
1 Thessalonians 5:2-6

It reiterates the doctrine espoused by Jesus in Matthew 24 (I believe) and elsewhere; that the day and the hour are not known but that the time and the season can be recognized.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Actually you have it wrong. It's the day of the Lord that comes as a thief in the night. The term is used in 1st Thessalonians 5-2 and in 2nd Peter 3-10.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

He is above all other TRUE prophecy's but is not tied to a specific time, The holy trinity alone knows that time but when he does COME back to the earth he will come as he went with clouds and every eye shall see him, even those that persecuted him so assume that mean's most soul's are earth bound and will still be here then, even if asleep they shall be awakened to behold his return, God is beyond the normal concept of time as well.

As a thief in the night refers to his children, people whom have been stolen and enslaved by the devil and false God's, he will take them back, they stole from him so he shall simply take them back but in such as a way as to leave these thieves punishment for the judgement day and not to destroy them then which he can of course do if he want's.

God - the true one made a promise to Jacob, it does not only apply to the Jews but to all Jacob's seed, aka all of his descendant's and that is basically that all nation's shall be blessed by his seed which can mean if so interpreted that all people in the world will have him as there ancestor, this is not done by wiping out other nation's but by scattering his seed upon the threshing floor and into the nation's, time and time and time again until it is fulfilled, a remnant he will keep true to himself.

So Jesus as he is God among us - Emanuel, the son/word of God manifest will not reverse his/his fathers earlier promise/prophecy but he will come back anytime he wishes and yet it shall not alter this earlier promise, he come's to fulfill the law after all.

Non can say when he shall come back but he, every attempt to date and time it is doomed to fail but he shall come back and indeed he is also still with us right now - I am with you even to the end of the world.

This earth is temporary, everything here dies, every flower loses it's petals, every beauty is pure vanity and illusion that lasts only for a short time yet in our materialistic culture we make the mistake of worshiping physical reality when we should be invested in the spirit of God, Jesus world does not age, does not fade and is above time, oh you can sleep but you will never truly die in that world and as long as you want he shall give freely of the water of life, an eternal wellspring of his own spirit he shall put into you, basically here we are incomplete and suffering, there he makes us complete and fixes our fault's and we become like the perfect angel's not like those imperfect demons that rule this world.

Jesus had very little time for most priests then and now, no time at all for the false priests whom know all the word's of the law and the scriptures but are hypocrites that dress in fine clothing, are fated by society and have position's of respect, in fact he did a lot of his preaching in the pub simply talking to people, socializing (something like many I am very weak on) and simply being with NORMAL people not the self righteous that think they are better than everyone, in fact those that thought they were better than others he often was actually angry with, he did debate in synagogues even as a child and there were men in the priesthood whom he loved but not the guy's in charge then as indeed now.

So only HE knows when BUT I believe he come's for special people or takes them to himself all the time, he also said let the little children come unto me, I shall forgive them what they do not know and as you treat the least of these (the poor and the downtrodden) so too do you treat me because we though twisted and corrupted were made in his image and are his children first and foremost.

So those that think they are better than the guy lying in the doorway whom is homeless, sick, drunk or mentally ill are actually put below those suffering people in his sight and he take's the side of the little guy, the poor whom he will have eating at his table while the rich of this world shall go hungry, not all but most of them.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Josephus

This is by far the best film on the timing of the rapture.

edit on 7/16/2017 by Josephus because: trying to get the video to show

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech
That's the same thing, because the New Testament "Day of the Lord" means the day when Christ comes.
He says "Lo I come as a thief" in Revelation ch16 v15, and the coming of the Son of Man is compared with the unpredictable arrival of a thief in the night in Matthew ch24 vv43-44.
The point is that he will come at a time when many are spiritually "asleep", and not on the alert to receive him.

edit on 16-7-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

If he said he's coming back then thats what he meant. One reference makes that a spectacular event, 'coming in the clouds with great power and glory...'

I'm not going to suggest the obvious reference to the only world shattering event that most closely matches that description that has already occurred.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

The "Rapture" is hookah, based solely on the verse "one shall be taken and another shall be left".

That happens when a bomb goes off.

The notion all 'good' people will be swept up in an instant all over the world its not what was implied but rather, since the advent of hi explosives, this is a (to our perception) a common occurrence. To seers of their day, a total mystery.

What removes flesh from bone and burn eyes from their sockets, as they stand upon their feet?

What takes one person and leaves another alive?

edit on 16-7-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

This is the most direct answer to your question I believe.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:1-6

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

And saying, Where is the promise of his coming?

2 Peter 3:3-4a

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

But then consider this. What Jesus Christ said is in Matthew 24 on his return. And according to that and looking at the history of the past 100 years it would appear that the "day of the Lord" is already running. According to my analysis of Matthew 24 this verse is the first event of the Apocalypse.

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Assuming that the return of the nation of Israel was an end time event then it would appear the day of the Lord has been running since 1945 to 1948.

But don't fear. According to 2nd Peter 3-8 it's supposed to last a 1000 years.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Im not going to quote the entire book of Thessalonians for you. I suggest you read it.
edit on 7/16/2017 by Josephus because: I apologized for no reason as helpfully pointed out by another member.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

How you get the modern interpretation of the "Rapture" from that?

No where does it say it will occur all over the planet all at once.

Edit: Quit reading more into it than it says. By that I mean quit reading into it what men have added onto it.
edit on 16-7-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech
Your suggestion completely undermines the idea that the "day" is sudden and unexpected, which is the key point being made in these references.
Paul's normal usage of "day" is more specific;
"When he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints" 2 Thessalonians ch1 v10
"...as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ" 1 Corinthians ch1 vv8-9

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Josephus

Sorry, but Im just gonna not quote the entire book of Thessalonians for you. I suggest you read it.

Why you apologizing, if you're correctly interpreting just what he said and all...

I suggest you stop interpreting scripture to support some 'acceptable' religious agenda. I.e., that Judgement Day and the Rapture, followed by seven years of tribulation is a yet to occur singular global encompassing chain of events.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Your suggestion completely undermines the idea that the "day" is sudden and unexpected, which is the key point being made in these references.
Paul's normal usage of "day" is more specific;

Its simpler than that. Everyone has their day of judgement when they pass.

(life flashes before eyes)

Edit: For many the day of passing (dying) is sudden and unexpected. As in not knowing the hour or the day thereof?
edit on 16-7-2017 by intrptr because: edit:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Matthew 24:31

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Josephus

And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Matthew 24:31

The trumpet is an air raid siren...

during WWII thousand plane bomber raids decimated hundreds of cities, atomic bomb attacks in Japan killed tens of thousands in the blink of an eye.
edit on 16-7-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

Further: You must understand that this kind of focused total destruction of so many people in large modern cities would be (form the ancients perspective) a complete and total world ending tragedy.

We take our history and even our current technology for granted, they would be dumbfounded.

So would you, if you were there.

edit on 16-7-2017 by intrptr because: Further

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join