It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My bepuzzlement with the males of this age continues to prove limitless.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I graduated HS in 2006 and it was a Catholic school. We all talked more # than I could say, fist fights were common and as we got older we learned that if we fought off school grounds and no one caught us there would be no trouble for us in school no matter how jacked up we looked. We swore like sailors, smoked, drank, organized gambling and pretty much whatever we wanted. Usually we knew how to stay out of trouble and occasionally we would run from the cops. We knew what ethnicity we all were and the appropriate slur to go with. We also knew when to lay off. If a kid was getting bullied I or someone else would usually step up and put an end to it. We didn't rat on each other and took our licks. Funny enough we called our do gooders Jesus freaks. Not because we ourselves had no faith or were meaning to be disrespectful to God but to illustrate how they would use some kind of medieval devotion to judge our acts. I always was the first to remind them that sinners were Jesus' favorite company as I'd laugh and sneak off for a smoke.

The cops you could see changing in my youth. I remember being caught by a couple once and the older cop was chill like a back in the day kind of cop, the other one was calling us scum and assholes and what not. We were being assholes but it wasn't anything criminal. The sarge came over and told the rookie to shut up and get in the car and then proceeded to call our parents and slap us with a fine. I convinced him my mom was nuts and he was better off just driving me to my brothers house a few blocks away; surprisingly, he complied. WIthout the specifics, if we were the same kids doing the same thing now there would have been guns drawn on us and we would have been arrested or in danger of being shot for no reason. Not surprisingly, the 2 dumbest kids in our class ( graduates number 52 and 53 and sub 900 SAT scores) became police officers.

Long story short, you're right. America's youth is being pussified. Both male and female are being taught to be extremely sensitive and non violent. What happened to fighting for the right reasons? Since when did people start becoming so startlingly offend-able? Everyone thinks there's someone with a badge nearby to keep them safe, bull#. Keep yourself safe.
edit on 18-7-2017 by Caughtlurking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Kettu

originally posted by: roadgravel
So how does trash talk for a meaningful conversation?

Well "trash talk" is "tough" and being "tough" is manly...and being "manly" is prime-choice, yo!

I know its shocking, but intelligent women like intelligent men.

So, what kind of women like men who have to "act tough"?

It has nothing to do with acting tough.
I don't think it can be explained to you.
Intelligent men act like men around other intelligent men.
It has nothing to do with you when you are not around.

I'm a 70 year old woman.

You think I slept through all those years?

Intelligent men act like intelligent men around intelligent women who demand they do so.

That's not the point.
My point is those intelligent men act differently when they are not around a woman.

My husband use to tell me how men would act and what they would say when women were not in ear shot. Once we went to a cigar bar and he overheard the young male customer service fella say to another man "Who let the skirt in?" - meaning me. The point being, who gets to define whom?
edit on 17CDT11America/Chicago059111131 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Op you seem to be missing large parts of history and human culture. What you are describing is a James Dean / John Wayne double feature. It's a slice of your child hood and isn't a norm for history or even the US.

As far as all those kids that could take a joke, they probably just didn't engage you because you were a bully I highly doubt even in this vaunted conservative golden era that people who didn't like you or the way you acted fawned over you and searched for your attention.

I have to side with other who pointed out that the post reads like a self congratulatory justification rather than an argument. I'm not even sure what you're point was.

Also your Star Trek analogy was way off. Klingons and Romulans are warlike Conquistadorian empires. A hybrid of the two would be aggressive ego-maniacal sociopaths, that is if you just ignored all the bards and scientists and traders and farmers and merchants inherent to either society. This is what really made me decide to post, it's such a backwards and incorrect analogy to try to use, especially to define someone your portraying as soft hearted/wimpy/crybabies whatever..

" GAWD YOUR SUCH A PIRHANNA-TIGER! ALWAYS CRYING AND BEING SO TOUCHY JUST LIKE TIOGERS AND PHIRANNAS"

Go back and rewatch each series, for someone who's using that universe as a source of analogies you seem to be unfamiliar with that branch of subculture and what the whole philosophy behind the series is about.

At least I don't feel so left out now. I can count star trek as my trigger so I can further empathize with the liberals and conservatives on ATS.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Well "trash talk" is "tough" and being "tough" is manly...and being "manly" is prime-choice, yo!

I'm a 70 year old woman.

Intelligent men act like intelligent men around intelligent women who demand they do so.

That's not the point.
My point is those intelligent men act differently when they are not around a woman.

My husband use to tell me how men would act and what they would say when women were not in ear shot. Once we went to a cigar bar and he overheard the young male customer service fella say to another man "Who let the skirt in?" - meaning me. The point being, who gets to define whom?

To me thats not very intelligent , and not very man like , I think a real man is a reflection of a woman and vice versa

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nemonimity

set phasers to stun !

hehe I couldnt resist

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

originally posted by: InTheLight

I'm a 70 year old woman.

That's not the point.

To me thats not very intelligent , and not very man like , I think a real man is a reflection of a woman and vice versa

Yes, yin and yang...a balancing act, if you will.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I must admit that there is at least a fair to middling chance that i got distracted by something temporarily amazing, and subsequently forgot that i had posted in this wonderful thread.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Is there any reason anyone should care about the OP's 'bepuzzlement'?

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Today I read a post from a liberal dude having a total meltdown because a politico said "The lightweight, mannequin, pretty-boy from California? I think he’s a yellow-bellied coward. And I don’t think he will show. But if he does show, he will regret it for the rest of his life". Note that statement doesn't inherently mean there was going to be a beat down. My impression is the prettyboy by nature is a coward and since he would be made to look bad if he showed, would regret it, therefore he would not show up.

Smack talk like that when addressed to a member of Congress who is conducting an inquiry can easily be construed as obstruction of justice or, alternatively, obstruction of governmental administration and certainly contempt of Congress.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join