It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God is the biggest threat to mankind

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Note: I posted this in Below Top secret, but after reading this forum I thought it was more attuned to the nature of this board

More humans have died in the name of God, or a god, than any other cause in the history of mankind. Why is this? Isn’t the belief in a supreme power enlightening and wholesome? How could people, who have dedicated their beliefs and ideals to a power that is the definition of love and kindness, kill each other by the millions and millions?

Its simple: Humans aren’t perfect and humans created God. Thus “God” isn’t perfect.

God is a belief created by man to answer questions that cannot be answered. God IS the answer (at least for now). God is a tool people use to feel comfortable with things or events out of their control. Or seemingly out of their control. God is like divine super glue. God sticks all the pieces together that people seem to have trouble doing themselves.

Is this a horrible thing that people have this belief? Not at all. If it works for you then go with it. The problem with God is, the people who believe in him think that everybody else MUST believe in him. And not just believe in him, but believe EXACTLY what you believe. This is such a strong feeling among believers, they actually think that 100% of people who do not share their belief will go to a horrible place called Hell when they die. Its not even good enough that you believe in God, you must believe in their God.

Some people, will even KILL you for not sharing their exact belief. This has caused more deaths than any other single cause in the history of man. “God” is the worlds #1 terrorist recruiter.

Disturbing isn’t it? But its all true. Or so I think anyways. But that’s part of my point. I am “going to hell” because I don’t believe in a God. But am I really? Does a mans actions determine his fate? Or his beliefs?

For example: I am a nice guy. I am kind and polite and I have no criminal record. I dont drink or smoke and I walk old ladies across the street and I say things like “please” and “thank you”. I smile and do what I can to be pleasant. I have a wonderful wife and son. But I don’t “believe” so I am going to hell. Am I getting it right so far?

Now get this: A man of the cloth, or representative of God can rape young boys by the dozens. The whole hierarchy above him can cover it up and make it go away but they all believe. But these people, because they believe, will be forgiven and will go to heaven. A man can brutally murder an old women in her home to steal $10 from her. And so long as he finds God before he dies he will be saved. This makes sense?

Do you know why all this is like it is? Its because people are terrified of not knowing answers to big scary questions. People have developed things like religions to help cope with these questions. And people are so scared of these things, they have programmed themselves into a frenzy of believing. Everybody must believe this, as it justifies their own beliefs. To the point of murder in some cases. It gets to the point that everything that they cannot easily explain in their life is “Gods will”. BAH!!!

Gods will, kills.

Do you know in some ancient cultures they had many gods? They had a god for everything that they couldn’t answer. The Greeks, Incans, Egyptians all had many gods. There was even a Sun god. They believed in their gods as heartily as you believe in yours. If an ancient Incan was in front of you debating their belief in the Sun god, they would be as passionate as you are about your god. But any modern believer knows there is no Sun god, that’s just silly right? But is it?

Incans had no explanation for the Sun. The Sun was everything and all important. A very powerful influence in their lives. But they didn’t know why, so it must be a supreme being. It was the only answer, believe it or die!!! But guess what? They were wrong and religions that worshiped the Sun are no more. Because today we all know what the Sun is and we understand how it effects our lives. No more Sun god.

See where I am going with this? Today there is only one god in all the main stream large scale religions. Why? Because all the “silly” stuff has been explained away. But why is there still any belief at all? Two major reasons:

#1 People are scared to believe anything else. People kill people who don’t believe.
#2 There is still 1 huge scary question that has not been answered. The biggest of all.
-What happens to me when I die?

Because there is no proven answer for this question, the biggest, scariest question of all, people still need something to help their psyche’s cope. As long as this is still up in the air, God will always “exist”.

I know I will get flamed for this next remark, but some weaker people even think that God controls things like passion and desire. Hate and love and emotions in general. This is all bunk. They blame crimes on the Devil and their successes on God. God and the devil are just easy solutions to their weak wills and lack of control over their very HUMAN desires.

One day, when our mothers and fathers stop forcing their kids to believe one thing or another based on their own fears, humans will shed themselves of the plague known as religion. It’s a psychological virus that is the scourge of all mankind. Someday it is quite possible that belief in a God will end humans existence. Not by “Gods” hand, but by our own fears of the unknown. People kill people who don’t believe. Period.

How many people reading my dissertation here will “pray” for me? How many people reading this will wish me to hell for my sacrilege? How many will reply with an attempt at “saving” me? How many will plot to kill me as a heathen?

Well everybody, I don’t need saving. I am content in my own beliefs and I sleep well at night believing them. My failures and successes are my own and I am a very nice, good person with many loving friends and relatives. When I die I am dead and that’s Ok. I also don’t have an issue with people believing in religion per say. After all, if something you believe in makes you feel good then wonderful! But please, please don’t try to infect me with your beliefs, as mine are just fine.

Remember: People that don’t believe in God, rarely care about your belief IN God. You don’t see non believers killing people of religion in an attempt to convert you to non belief. Its because we aren’t scared anymore. Wait, scratch that, we ARE scared. Of YOU! As God has killed more people over belief than any other cause of death in history…

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
At this point the only thing I can really believe in is the infinite quality of the universe-- Infinite space outward, infinite space inward, infinite combination & possibility. I believe that the universe is weirder than we think & that we don't have all the answers--on this point I might diverge from a lot of liberal humanists & athiests who might think that such a statement allows for the possibility of the "supernatural" or a God belief. Nope, not saying God exists or Spirit exists or anything like that. I'm just saying that with the limited scientific resources we have avaliable we hardly have all the answers about the universe. I think this is a thoroughly weird universe.

The paradox of religious belief is that through intense belief a human can accomplish a lot--get through trying times, reform themselves, even perform tasks that are out of the ordinary--but that the object of the belief itself may not and is probably not absolute. Yet in order for the faiths of Christians, Jews, Muslims, and members of other religious faiths to work, they must believe 100 percent in the infalibility & absolute truth of their religion. Yet all these religions might be equally valid. It's a paradox. What to do? Can we move as a species beyond this?

Yes, I do think that humanity's attachments to the major religions is a big threat to our development as a species. But what to do? HG Wells towards the end of his life posited that the answer was a major world catastrophe or crisis that would bring us as a species together. But that is delving into NWO mentality, is it not? Or was NWO lore created by people who wanted to preserve their religions from the threat of alternate points of view?

To systematically dismantle through research & logic a person's tightly held religious beliefs is a very dangerous--though perhaps necessary--business. Wear body armor.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Mmm...Interesting. I have a side theory going on and my post here is proving me right to a certain degree. As I type this there are 50 views and no reply's.

Is it that the mere thought of questioning your belief so scary to you as to even respond? Not even questioning it, but reading words written by another scary enough to keep you from responding? This is the terror that religion holds above our heads. Its this terror that keeps the human species from becoming religion free. Question your God and go to Hell.

Its our parents fault. And thier parents, and thier parents parents, etc.

Do you know that as a non believer I have read the Bible? You know that I have read snippets and parts of the Koran? I am also NOT SCARED to entertain the thoughts and idea's inside these novels because they are just opinions and beliefs. I am also not frightened to tell people that I have opened my mind up enough to read about religion. Heck, I went to Catholic sunday school!

Anyways, its interesting that a thread on these boards has generated 50+ views with not one reply....Mmmmm....

Edit: Looks like me and Cassie were posting at the same time

[edit on 7-2-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
ehhh, u just turned me off right here by making assumptions...

"Its simple: Humans aren’t perfect and humans created God. Thus “God” isn’t perfect." what if God does exist, without us beliveing or not, than this whole thing is bogus, not a good argument against God believers son

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Maybe you are more religion oriented than you know. You make some very good points and the way you have done it is not inflamitory or derogitory but very educated. The thing I think you should put some serious thought to though is the fact that there is good and evil and if you try you can see a persons soul. Yes, there are souls in every person and the question remains who controls that soul? Maybe the theory of a God is wrong or just not completley understood when there is so much about our world we do not understand. Would you agree that there is a greater power whatever it is that controls mankind, even if that power is just Mother Nature or the evolution of our universe both of wich we do not fully understand.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I don't blame God, I blame Organized Religion and those who preach it. It's not God's fault, we're so blind and stupid, he gave us eyes and a mind, some of us just have to figure out how to see and understand the world around us a bit better.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
as Marx said, "Religion is the opium of the people"

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjcDo you know why all this is like it is? Its because people are terrified of not knowing answers to big scary questions. People have developed things like religions to help cope with these questions. And people are so scared of these things, they have programmed themselves into a frenzy of believing. Everybody must believe this, as it justifies their own beliefs...

#1 People are scared to believe anything else. People kill people who don’t believe.
#2 There is still 1 huge scary question that has not been answered. The biggest of all.
Fear, just as you say is what drives religion. Unfortunately the fear is so deeply embedded it cannot be isolated from common sense.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Fear, just as you say is what drives religion. Unfortunately the fear is so deeply embedded it cannot be isolated from common sense.

You just said in one sentence what took me a few pages

People are scared. Scared enough to eradicate and destroy any other notion or belief. And that my friends, is why "God" has caused more grief, suffering and death than any other cause ever.

But somehow, I am going to hell because I believe what I need to, to make myself content.

Ahh well, im certain some people reading this think that me and my personal "goodness" is somehow a dirivative of Gods will. But I am still going to hell!

Odd

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zekimro
as Marx said, "Religion is the opium of the people"

Marx said "opiate".

I believe in God... I was raised Catholic, but there was a period of a few years, when I was a teenager, when I began to question the whole thing. Then, I had a few experiences and epiphanies that really changed me... I agree with WorldWatcher, that organized religion is more of a problem than God.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
in a sense, God is the biggest threat to a fallen, sinful mankind. That is true. Those who will be unrepetent in their rebellion against the Lord of Hosts will find that God's judgment and wrath against them in the end times (very soon) more horrible than they could imagine.

It is important to diffferent the message of the Gospels of Jesus from Organized Religion. Religion, in its conception, is evil from the core. It is what Man's mind conceives to reach God. We build all this structure and oppressive rules and inevitably get involved in corruption (indulgences, fornication with nuns, aborting the resulting babies, the Jesuits who do the wet-work for the Vatican).

It is important to note that Jesus war when He was on earth was not against the Romans, not against slavery or tyranny of governments. It was against the organized religion of the Pharisees and Saducees of the time. Jesus is always clear that whatever the mind of fallen man conceives is always eventually corrupted and invested in some sort of evil and human history appears to show just that.

Organized religion from the mind of fallen man brought us the crusades, the Inquisition, and the greatest killing machine ever known to man in the catholic church. Just because someone does something in what they think is God's name does not mean is was God's will at all. God does not often violate the free will He gave mankind because our free choice to turn and return the love He first gave to us is most prized to Him. However, that same free will has most often led to men choosing absolute twisted evil, persecution, killing, rape, slavery. We sometimes happily agree to work with the devil himself and then have the lunacy of claiming that it was God's will.

In contrast to religion, my relationship with Jesus is a a story of how He reached down to meet me where I was, to redeem and change me to be more like Him (sometimes painful change) because I could not reach Him.
My relationship with Jesus was a call for me to love and sacrifice myself for others because He first loved me. I am not threatened by God or Jesus.

I am threatened by those who have rejected what Jesus has offered in direct relationship to Him. In fact, in the coming judgment on America and the subsequent tribulation, I will likely be killed by those who are involved in Apostate organized religion, the very people who from their own minds, have devised their rules (not the Lord's) for winning God's favor (see Inquisition).

Don't confuse organized religion with a relationship to Jesus Himself. These are vastly different things. For those who reject the truth of Jesus, God is the greatest threat to a fallen and unregenerate mankind, who, by their own choice of will, chose to disobey and reject God.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Sure am curious where the facts were found against God's reality?
Dallas

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
God isn't to blame for the events happening on this world. people follow different signs and some just make up their own religion to have fun and others end up believing them. everything that's happened is down to our choices and the consequences of making them. it's the only way we can learn and become better.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I can't see this at all. I don't think God is any threat to anyone (Yes I believe in aa all creating force energy...God) It is religion and the way mankind chooses to honor God that is the big problem here, everyone thinks their way is the right way, and too many people use thier religion as an excuse to hate others.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I don't blame God, I blame Organized Religion and those who preach it. It's not God's fault, we're so blind and stupid, he gave us eyes and a mind, some of us just have to figure out how to see and understand the world around us a bit better.

RIGHT!!!! If religions could dissapear and people beleive in god in themselves, that we are all equally part of god, beleive in OUR SOUL! That is when the world will change...change your beleifs, flush religions, find your true oneness with the world!

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
woa, no offense amelia but you seem pissed.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrisamatic
woa, no offense amelia but you seem pissed.

Well, I'm kinda pissed....people think that governments, economy, corporations, religions and all that crap will change the world...it's the population who have to stop having faith in that and start to have faith for themselves! You have to power to do it, we are on earth, it's our home! Do we have the right to have freedom at home? Religions is not preaching the right things....it"s always judging, discrimination toward other religions...god is not in a religion, it's IN YOURSELF!
That is why I'm pissed, people don't understand that they have POWER but they search for that somewhere else...

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i understand what you're saying. the problem is, people are just going to keep on following their religions because that's the way they've been brought up to be. i don't have a religion but i have beliefs. but if we knew the full facts then this world will be thrown into chaos.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrisamatic
but if we knew the full facts then this world will be thrown into chaos.

Right!!!!! You got it...so they keep fighting, make war and all because they are trapped in their little brainwashed bubble.
ANY WAY, one way or the other, the world will be in chaos...so start right now to pray dear ones....nobody but yourself will save you! And certainly not the people who control this world, religion included.

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Humanity is capable of so much more. Using a "God" or religion as an excuse to kill people is just taking away the responsibility from the act of killing. From this, I can say that Ignorance is very prevalent in the minds of some humans.

The biggest threat is an ignorant belief, a closed mind, fear of the unknown and an unwholesome attitude. You can say that humans are taught to accept certain beliefs while growing up and we are conditioned to accept a certain version of what is true. Humans can never arrive at the truth. Staying in our beliefs, even if those beliefs hurt others, is what will lead to the downfall of the individual and the greater whole (humanity).

There are many people out there who are trying to bring this message of questioning reality and changing attitudes. It's been done in the past as well. People of this stature become great in the eyes of history, champions for the cause of humanity.

Just imagine how changed our world would become if the leaders of Nations were those who championed the rights of humanity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join