It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Trump Snobbery

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
According to a Gallup poll, the majority of Americans who disapprove of President Donald Trump do so not because they are opposed to his policy and results, but because they do not like his character or personality. No surprise. We also know from the many negative, and often obsessive references to his mannerisms, his hair, his voice, his skin, his body, they also take issue with how he looks. These and other extrinsic critiques of a person are evidence of snobbery.

At the core of snobbery is the attempt to make yourself feel superior at the sacrifice of others, often by determining merit on external factors and other trifles. In the end it is the snob’s tenuous but exaggerated and extravagant view of himself that he needs to have confirmed by an outward display of his supercilious feelings. The only reward is the sudden but short-lived emotional currency, but the effects are often detrimental. As D.H. Lawrence wrote, “[snobbery] is the desire for what divides men and the inability to value what unites them".

No it isn’t about results or policy or even the politics, but how the president looks in comparison to how the snobs wishes he would look. With Obama, the snobs of the media could proudly virtue-signal to the rest of the world about their high-mindedness, all of it designed to impress, even if little changed in terms of policy and results.

Due to the sensational ridiculing of the president to the rest of the world (much of which was fake or false, but always snobbish), the media has only eroded America's image since Trump became president. Snobbery, after all, is always a process of diminishing returns.

The irony is that, though Trump's personality is labelled vulgar, boorish, a baffoon, a man-child, and a bully, snobbery is all of those things par excellence. But I'm very certain that if we were able to put Trump beside you, the reality wouldn't live up to the over-exaggerated view of yourself, and you'd find yourself to be a little bit inferior in all aspects.

LesMis

Replace the word "Trump" with "Obama" and this could have been written any time between 2008 and 2016.

Oh, and its not your media making Trump look bad. The rest of the world hasn't taken your news media seriously for decades.
edit on 15-7-2017 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Dude you are 100% wrong on this, people do not oppose Trump due to Snobbery please just accept that.

I think it's inevitable that some people that dislike Trump do so for snobbish reasons. There's certainly an element of people that think they're "better" than he is and voice that opinion.

My issue has been with trying to include disliking his character as somehow being the behavior of a snob, and with trying to conflate making jokes about him with snobbery. That's reaching a bit too far for me, much the same as those who cried that people only disliked Obama because they're racists.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Do you admit that you ignore the rest of my argument, a point of which you have already admitted you are guilty? The body shaming? You said yourself he resembles a scrotum or something. What was it?

So what was the rest of your argument because so far all I have been able to gather is that you think that people who dislike Trump because of his character and personality are doing so because they are snobs.

As for "body shaming", what a load of rubbish, you know as well as I do that trumps looks are just the butt of a few jokes, nobody in the poll that you are using to back up your argument cited his looks for reasons for opposing him. Its hardly being snobbish to remark on a politicians looks, what about all those who made fun of the way Hilary looked? they must also be snobs right?

Making fun of the way someone looks does not make one a snob

You were way wrong on the whole premise of this thread and now your grasping at straws.

Just say it!!!

Those who oppose Trump because of his character or personality are not snobs!

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

That's more fair of an argument. The definitions can disputed.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I think it's inevitable that some people that dislike Trump do so for snobbish reasons. There's certainly an element of people that think they're "better" than he is and voice that opinion.

I would not dispute that there are some who probably do dislike trump for snobbish reasons.

What I do dispute that anyone who opposes trump due to his personality or character are snobs as they OP has stated.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

That's more fair of an argument. The definitions can disputed.

So now definitions can be disputed because when I wrote my thread about how Trump supporters were guilty of hypocrisy you were toeing a very different line!

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

What I do dispute that anyone who opposes trump due to his personality or character are snobs as they OP has stated.

There you go. Now move on to the next argument, where I explain how that is snobbery.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

There you go. Now move on to the next argument, where I explain how that is snobbery.

We seem to be going round in circles because you refuse to admit to being wrong.

If it is snobbery to oppose someone because of there personality or behaviours as you put it then it would also be snobbery to oppose anyone who's personality or behaviours you disprove of, i.e., serial killers.

Your logic on this point is laughable.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

You're going in circles. At least compare, as the poll did, the Trump, Obama and Bush, instead of talking about serial killers and ISIS. No one dislikes serial killers because of their personality. The fact that they murder people might have a say. No, people who dislike murderers are not snobs. It's the second stupidest thing I've heard today.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

your are so wrong on this its almost funny

People who oppose Trump because of his personality or behaviours as you said, are not Snobs.

Its that simple, I am not going to waste anymore time arguing this with you.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yea.. right, sure... I dislike Trump because of his tone, hair color and crassness, not because he is vastly under-qualified for the job he is doing, is doing it poorly, is trashing anything related to Obama whether it makes makes sense to or not, has pissed off allies and praised enemies, couldn't care less about the environment (typical corporate billionaire attitude), tweets like an angsty teen on social media, making our leadership look buffoonish to the rest of the worlds leaders, is a massive hypocrite, and two-faced on more subjects than I can keep track of.. list goes on and on.

Keep thinking that. It's amusing that people try to deflect all the reasons Trump is bad, into snobbery.. as if that is why people like don't the clown as POTUS.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Best reason to disapprove of Trump. (Almost) everything he has ever said in public is stupid.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tearman
Best reason to disapprove of Trump. (Almost) everything he has ever said in public is stupid.

Then according to the OP you're a snob!

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

your are so wrong on this its almost funny

People who oppose Trump because of his personality or behaviours as you said, are not Snobs.

Its that simple, I am not going to waste anymore time arguing this with you.

It is definitely snobbery when his personality is combined as a target with his supposed lack of class, inexperience in politics and brash attitude though, right?

Winning points that are literally needle sharp, go you.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

That's because you can't or refuse to. Even now you refuse to include body shaming— the mockery of his looks (scrotum was it?), his mannerisms, his voice, his lifestyle, his class—in your straw man. I wonder why?

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

That's because you can't or refuse to. Even now you refuse to include body shaming— the mockery of his looks (scrotum was it?), his mannerisms, his voice, his lifestyle, his class—in your straw man. I wonder why?

There have been jokes made like that of every politician to have ever walked, Obama got it, Bush got it, Clinton got loads of it.

It does not make it snobbery, its called having a sense of humour.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Yes it does make it snobbery when those and not policy and results are the only issues of contention. You guys don't like how he looks, how he acts, how he tweets, how he talks, his lifestyle, his mannerisms—he's a buffoon, a child, a bully, a baby, thin-skinned—and then you all turn out to be the same or worse as your accusations. That is evidence of snobbery.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

You guys don't like how he looks, how he acts, how he tweets, how he talks, his lifestyle, his mannerisms—he's a buffoon, a child, a bully, a baby, thin-skinned—and then you all turn out to be the same or worse as your accusations. That is evidence of snobbery.

hmmmmm

so I don't like a bully so I must be a snob.

OK whatever....

I hate trump for a lot more than that but yeah the way he bullied the people of Aberdeen is up there at the top of my list (feel free to look that one up then pretend to know what I am talking about)
edit on 15-7-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Yes it does make it snobbery when those and not policy and results are the only issues of contention. You guys don't like how he looks, how he acts, how he tweets, how he talks, his lifestyle, his mannerisms—he's a buffoon, a child, a bully, a baby, thin-skinned—and then you all turn out to be the same or worse as your accusations. That is evidence of snobbery.

We're judging Trump on a lifetime in the public eye and some severe vetting via a presidential campaign. And you're judging "us" based on a few anonymous posts on a conspiracy website. Yeah, that makes sense.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I don't mean you specifically, so no virtue-signalling required. I'm being fairly general.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join