It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima plant set to release radioactive material into ocean

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Oh, this is swell...

ARTICLE

Despite the objections of local fishermen, the tritium-tainted water stored at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant will be dumped into the sea, a top official at Tokyo Electric says.

“The decision has already been made,” Takashi Kawamura, chairman of Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc., said in a recent interview with the media.

As of July 6, about 777,000 tons were stored in about 580 tanks at the Fukushima plant, which is quickly running out of space.

Great idea, Japan... dump more of your poison into an already toxic part of the ocean, what could possibly be bad about that idea?

I gotta love this...

“Releasing (tritium) into the sea will create a new wave of unfounded rumors, making our efforts all for naught,” said Kanji Tachiya, head of a local fishermen cooperative.

The Japanese fish industry clearly doesn't give a damn about the actual safety of their product, they're all about perception. "unfounded rumors" suuure... "unfounded" my ass.

www.universityherald.com...

Recently, fishermen catching a newborn two-headed porpoise in the North Sea has generated a lot of excitement. Amid the warnings are dire comments that this is one of the results of the Fukushima disaster.

www.tribaltribune.com...

Last year, the Okanagan Nation Alliance found Cesium-134, the so-called fingerprint of Fukushima, in sockeye that had migrated up the Okanogan River to British Columbia.
Now, a study by Upper Columbia United Tribes has found trace amounts of radiation in Columbia River sockeye as well as Chinook salmon, UCUT biologist Marc Gauthier said Tuesday to the Colville Business Council’s Natural Resource Committee.

Someone really needs their nose busted over there in the Land of the Rising Geiger Numbers.
edit on 14-7-2017 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's some BS.

You'd think there would be some international outrage. I bet you if the US tried to dump a bunch of nuclear fuel or otherwise into the ocean on the California cost, everybody would loose their minds.

~Tenth

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

With the whole climate change deal and the push to stop eating red meat due to it's effect on the climate, now with the poisoning of our oceans with nuclear waste, I am most certainly glad I will be dead before Soylent Green becomes a reality!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Honestly, it reads to me like TEPCO is flat out saying "It's more advantageous for us to have government approval before we dump this into the Pacific, but the choice has already been made, it's going into the Pacific, period." I can only *hope* an American company who tried that would have a throng of federal agents descend on their headquarters and businessmen would be drug away in shackles before the end of the day. I say hope because I'm pretty sure any US company with enough skin in the game and enough media ownership would get away with it scott free.

+18 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
They've been releasing radioactive water into the sea since Day 1.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I would make the TEPCO CEOs and other bastards responsible drink the stuff.

Because lets face it for the want of proper backup redundancies that actually functioned half that nation is going to end up irradiated to some degree or another.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I would make the TEPCO CEOs and other bastards responsible drink the stuff.

50 or 60 years ago, those CEOs would have already committed seppuku over the shame they have brought to themselves, their corporation, and their nation.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The Japanese's justification was because the ocean is a large body of water and will dilute the radioactive material. Yeah...if you were able to evenly spread it across the entire body of Earth's oceans. Instead they will have a super concentrated discharge in a localized area and are going to kill everything.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I can't wait until Godzilla wakes up and stomps these asshats again.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

Following that logic not content with crapping on there own doorstep they now wish to dump there problems in to the worlds swimming pool.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
I bet you if the US tried to dump a bunch of nuclear fuel or otherwise into the ocean on the California cost, everybody would loose their minds.

We've got all that waste stored up there in Oregon (leaky barrels to boot).

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I really miss seafood.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't think they know what else to do with the water.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You put the lime in the coke and mix it all up

Fingers crossed 🤞 or perhaps Webbed?

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
I really miss seafood.

You won't beause we will have freakingly large shrimps.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

From what I understand, the technology needed to clean it up doesn't even exist.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Have done. Probably will do again. Thanks America. Whats the safe unit again ?

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The ocean's probably a good place to dump it. Because it's heavy and sinks to the bottom and it's covered up fairly quickly. Although there is always the danger of creating a new Godzilla.
edit on 14-7-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Oh, this is swell...

www.japantimes.co.jp... en-irate/#.WWkL1Yjyu70

Despite the objections of local fishermen, the tritium-tainted water stored at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant will be dumped into the sea, a top official at Tokyo Electric says.

“The decision has already been made,” Takashi Kawamura, chairman of Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc., said in a recent interview with the media.

As of July 6, about 777,000 tons were stored in about 580 tanks at the Fukushima plant, which is quickly running out of space.

Great idea, Japan... dump more of your poison into an already toxic part of the ocean, what could possibly be bad about that idea?

I gotta love this...

“Releasing (tritium) into the sea will create a new wave of unfounded rumors, making our efforts all for naught,” said Kanji Tachiya, head of a local fishermen cooperative.

The Japanese fish industry clearly doesn't give a damn about the actual safety of their product, they're all about perception. "unfounded rumors" suuure... "unfounded" my ass.

www.universityherald.com...

Recently, fishermen catching a newborn two-headed porpoise in the North Sea has generated a lot of excitement. Amid the warnings are dire comments that this is one of the results of the Fukushima disaster.

www.tribaltribune.com...

Last year, the Okanagan Nation Alliance found Cesium-134, the so-called fingerprint of Fukushima, in sockeye that had migrated up the Okanogan River to British Columbia.
Now, a study by Upper Columbia United Tribes has found trace amounts of radiation in Columbia River sockeye as well as Chinook salmon, UCUT biologist Marc Gauthier said Tuesday to the Colville Business Council’s Natural Resource Committee.

Someone really needs their nose busted over there in the Land of the Rising Geiger Numbers.

Tritium is a beta emitter.. only a problem if you injest it, it has a 7-14 day biological halflife which is fairly short and it's quite low energy... also they use tritium to study the oceans currents, and yes that means it is places there and then followed. I forgot though the world is sooo scared of radiation.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Treat the stuff and then freeze it and store appropriately would seem to be the most sensible option.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join