It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: "Million Dollar Baby" Causes Backlash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Is it a movie intended for a mature audience or political propaganda? That seems to be the very question the National Spinal Cord Injury Association and other health care professionals are raising. In the new Clint Eastwood film, assisted suicide is used to comfort the pain of one of the movie's characters. The Oscar-nominated film is in a fierce battle for first place with "The Aviator," starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

www.cnn.com
"Million Dollar Baby" also has come under fire from such conservative commentators as Rush Limbaugh, Michael Medved and Debbie Schlussel, who predicted on her Web site that Eastwood's film will triumph at the Oscars "because it's Hollywood's best political propaganda of the year. ... because it supports killing the handicapped, literally putting their lights out."

Eastwood declined an interview request but told The New York Times that the film stuck closely to its source material, a story by F.X. Toole.

"How the character handles it is certainly different than how I might handle it if I were in that position in real life," Eastwood said. "Every story is a 'what if.' "

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is absolutely ludicrous. If every movie portrayed human beings in our finest moments, making our wisest decisions, and using the most cunning intellect, then we would all be bored to tears and feel incomplete next to these flawless creatures.

Film is an art, a medium of expressing one's self that should not be limited by its ability of offering either a positive or negative view of real life.

Especially when the portion of the story under such heavy fire isn't even representative of the entire film....

Related News Links:
theedge.bostonherald.com
www.startribune.com
www.austin360.com

Odd

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I love how free we are with the word "literally" these says, as in "literally putting their lights out" above... do the handicapped really have lights?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Actually films that are debated and under criticism are the ones that become classics, so the more the criticism the more people will run to see it.

I watched the interview with Clint and he described the firm as a love story between a girl and an older man like a father and daughter.

I think the move Will do just fine.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Haven't you ever heard of a SPOILER warning? Yeesh

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Oh, my I am spoiling anything? it was in the news for everbody to see, you know.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

*shrugs*...eh....lol

I considered putting a spoiler warning in there, but what the hell.....like I said - it's not an extremely pivotal scene in the movie....I put far less detail in my explanation than the media did....

You're probably right marg - I can see the potential for build up....

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
I love how free we are with the word "literally" these says, as in "literally putting their lights out" above... do the handicapped really have lights?

I did not know that you had the stereotyped Asiatic difficulty with this English letter. It was meant to say "rights".

Riterarry.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
uhhh....ok so you think the film is misinterperted,...so what....I don't get the point...it's a movie aout the handicaped,...ok...it's cute.......whatever......theyr'e just like us,.....what's the point?....maybe you have a complex...?????!!!!!!!!!!!!?????...
It's just art immitaitng life,...? where's the prolem,...there ARE hanidcaped people around us,.....just because they're in a movie is no ig deaL!...Are you friends with any handicaped peole?...SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I think you severely misunderstood something or have just had a bad day....looking over my own comments and those of my fellow ATS members, I see nothing to justify your reaction....

That is, unless your comment is a rhetorical one addressed to someone we simply haven't been introduced to yet....

Settle down....

new topics

top topics

join