It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visa looking to help small businesses go cashless

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I can see this causing problems really. I'd say robbery would be on the up for one. if people can't eat because they don't have 'cash' anymore, they'll be hunting down those who use cards and those they see with grocery bags!

Drug dealers & Prostitutes won't be able to do cash deals either, so they'll be wanting some other type of payment and they won't be able to do that by card.

I know of or heard of a few people who made their buddies "arts and crafts" and "craft supply bags" and used that app SQUARE to charge.

NOT THE SMARTEST if you ask me, but they did it.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Drug dealers & Prostitutes won't be able to do cash deals either, so they'll be wanting some other type of payment and they won't be able to do that by card.

That'll turn into barter and trade deals, email money transfers will be noticeable if constant. It can be done, but people will have to set up a legal business to hide the illegal one. Babysitting, dog walking, housecleaning, the tax man will be waiting for his share.
Then the Visa card reader could be set up on their iphone🤔

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

United??

Really??

Tell me you don't fly United in coach...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
United??

Really??

Yeah, I live 6 miles from EWR which is a fortress hub for United, they have 80% of the flights out so if I need to get somewhere I have to fly that carrier.

Tell me you don't fly United in coach...

I never ride in steerage.

edit on 13-7-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Agree...

Poor Tommy won't be getting paid for mowing the lawn until he has a card reader on his phone. Jane won't get paid running a lemonade store with a car wash on the side either.

Seems to me a cashless society would stifle innovation and entrepreneurial skills in development. Especially with VISA in your pocket leaving a paper trail of transactions for the taxman to come collect his due.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Terminal1

I never ride in steerage.

Good to hear though the world will miss out on phone video of you getting dragged off the plane because you were bumped and refused to get up from your seat...

Damnit...

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

I am the one who bumps.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Problem I have with not carrying cash..

If you have no cash and the power is out for any reason (not just the worst case scenario in the video) you are stuck with zero purchasing power.

Consider that while on a road trip, or a vacation etc, you could be stuck somewhere completely dependent on the kindness of strangers.
edit on 13-7-2017 by Irishhaf because: I forget words all the time

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, in the UK with chip and PIN debit cards and contactless payment, I could live a life without cash. At least I can when I go to London. In the sticks where I live such tech has not reached my local pub, so still need cash.

At the end of the day cash is on it's way out.

Norway has an economy like this. All the bars/restaurants had the portable card readers. The bar staff just walked up to your table with the drinks and you entered the amount + gratuity, then paid the bill with your credit/debit card.

Supermarkets and shops took both cash and cards, especially since a weeks shopping can run into a four figure sum. But it was only the elderly who still used cash and had separate purses for each denomination of coins. So they would spend minutes fumbling through every purse to pay the small amounts.

These days, I take out about £100/week to pay taxi, train and make shop payments. While making a PPI claim once, I had to request all my credit card statements over 20 years. From those, I was able to trace my own movements across London and other train stations when going to interviews.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If cash is outlawed, people will simply move to something else that holds value.

Got tide?

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It so nice of Visa to "help"..help themselves to all your data and purchase info, control of your funds..etc, then market your info.
That is the goal generally speaking.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I can see this causing problems really. I'd say robbery would be on the up for one. if people can't eat because they don't have 'cash' anymore, they'll be hunting down those who use cards and those they see with grocery bags!

Not just that, but how a bout yard sales? How about me an you being able to exchange goods or barter? I like how you think though!

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Assets, it will be the only real thing.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Blimey what the guys around here advertise on whatapp is insane.
A pal was telling me that on the dark net (Never checked it out so dunno the validity of this but) people who sell nasty substances do it all through the post with bitcoins as payment. No cash involved.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Also cash won't be worth anything anyhow If SHTF so does it matter now? you can still buy stuff without cash what will be worth stuff when SHTF.
Depending which type of cashless currency you use is more important I think seeing with bitcoin you can get stuff without anyone knowing but with visa they know exactly what you are buying.

posted on Apr, 14 2021 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I only use cash unless I purchase something online.

You mean, "if"? If you use 'unless', it means you do not use cash when purchasing something online, but you use it every other time.

posted on Apr, 14 2021 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

So they would spend minutes fumbling through every purse to pay the small amounts.

On the OTHER hand, I spent minutes waiting for a card reader and someone slowly punching in their numbers, then the machine processing, and when that didn't work, they used another card, etc.. this took SO long, it would've been quicker to process 10 cash payers.

When my turn came, I had the exact change, handed it in, took the receipt, and was out there almost not even slowing my walk for the minuscule duration of the transaction.

You may debate on both sides, but often cash is just so much faster to pay, as you never have to WAIT for a machine, for inputting numbers, fumbling the numbers and having to re-input them, for the 'order to go through' or whatnot. I don't know what those machines do, but card paying SLOWS DOWN EVERYTHING.

What terrifies me is the 'self-paying' systems that have crept up even in the most tiny local grocery stores. The machines now speak nonstop in a loud, robotic voice (I know it's a 'human recording', but that doesn't help), where it used to be relatively quiet previously. The cold 'thank you' that's not even aimed specifically at you (the machine doesn't see you the same way cashier does) is just creepy - always repeated with the same, meaninless tone.

The world we live in is soon such a nightmare that I seriously hope suicide booths become more common (it's been invented already, but the public doesn't have access to it yet - you can google it)..

posted on Apr, 14 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shoujikina
a reply to: Metallicus

I only use cash unless I purchase something online.

You mean, "if"? If you use 'unless', it means you do not use cash when purchasing something online, but you use it every other time.

Is English even your mother tongue? He IS using the word correctly.

unless
conjunction
us
/ənˈles/ uk
/ənˈles/
B1
except if:
You can't get a job unless you have experience (= you can only get a job if you have experience).
Unless you call me to say you're not coming, I'll see you at the theater (= I will see you there if you do not call to say you are not coming).
More examples

They threatened to kill him unless he did as they asked.
Most wild animals won't attack unless they are provoked.
I can't let you in unless you give the password.
Students are not allowed to handle these chemicals unless they are under the supervision of a teacher.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I have two debt cards that are not linked
One for me to get cash at the bank atm for day to day use and my checks SSA VA and pension go into it.
i never use ether card at point of sale because of the problems out there

The other one is for internet use only and i keep very little in it unless i plan to buy something.
For this account i use the pin only at my bank to check how much I have in the account.

Someone got the number on my internet account and somehow used it in person to person actives
like renting a motel room for two night and buying something at a iPhone repair shop that cost around $735.

How did they use my account number for inperson sales without my pin numbers as they have only been used by me at my bank.

I can see how they got my card numbers but since i only use the CVV over the internet and never the pin number. and even the tellers at my bank never see the pin number.

At least 4 businesses got debt chargebacks for selling products to these thieves and lost around $900 dollars.

And it took me about a month to be able to use my internet card.

Until they find a way to increase the security on debit and credit cards i will/can never go cashless.

i would love to see changes on debit and credit cards
photos of the card holder.
longer pin numbers that include letters and numbers
busnesses that check other id when a card is used.
edit on 15-4-2021 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
It would keep the poor, homeless, and anyone else with a terrible credit rating from having the ability to even feed themselves.

The mark of the beast, you don't have one you will be sheep dip out of luck.

No, no, and no. This is only a payment infrastructure, it supports credit cards but you can also use it for debit cards and pre paid cards. Anybody with a compatible card, phone or smart device can pay, so even if you can't get a credit card you can pay using any other compatible card.

If you have cash you simply buy a pay as you go gift card over the counter and then swipe it.

Cash is a pick pocket's pay day. A pre paid visa card needs a pin so they can't use it.

This isn't a conspiracy it's a company trying to get you to use its product.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join