It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon says personal data of 6 million users leaked online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Hi.

www.charlotteobserver.com...

The personal data of 6 million Verizon users has leaked online, the company said Wednesday.

“Human error” caused the leak, Verizon told CNN Tech.

The error, a misconfigured security setting on a cloud server, made customer phone numbers, names and some PIN codes publicly available online, CNN Tech reported. PIN codes are used to confirm the identity of people who call for customer service, the media outlet said.

I use a different cheap service. So glad.

Edit - has this been posted?

edit on 12-7-2017 by Yourmomsentme because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2017 by Yourmomsentme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Yourmomsentme

Do you perform a search prior to posting content to check if it has already been posted? Judging by your edit you probably don't.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I didn't see it when I searched. Im interested in this. I have Verizon

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaestroMind

Do you perform a search prior to posting content to check if it has already been posted? Judging by your edit you probably don't.

So what, I'm also interested in this thread. I didn't see a competing thread in "new"

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Well I S&F you anyway. Good post.

I use T-Mobile on an older electronically modified Nokia non smart phone. My account information is as phony as a $3 bill(don't ask me how, tradecraft secret) and is paid for via old fashion money order so I am good to go!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I didn't.

Was I supposed to lie?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Don't worry about if it is posted yet.

If it is you will know in a hurry....

Your thread, this is a problem when the info consumers trust corps to handle with care is not. This is going to be a larger problem because security will demand more $$$ as cyber thief's become ever more sophisticated. And companies will try to get security done on the cheap. Leading to more problems like this.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=22453106]Yourmomsentme
I didn't.

Was I supposed to lie?

Oh no. I see you are fairly new. Just for future reference you may want to utilize ATS's search engine to check if content you plan on posting is already up. That's all.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I don't see any prior announcement...

Sucks to be anyone who uses Verizon.

I used Google fi, though, so I'd rather be part of the Verizon leak.
At least then I'd have a phone that works.

Pixel XL and Google fi service are the worst investment I've ever made.
And I bought stock in Blockbuster. And circuit city.
Fifteen years of smart phone use and I've never been so let down.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yourmomsentme
Hi.

The personal data of 6 million Verizon users has leaked online, the company said Wednesday.

The error, a misconfigured security setting on a cloud server, made customer phone numbers, names and some PIN codes publicly available online, CNN Tech reported. PIN codes are used to confirm the identity of people who call for customer service, the media outlet said.

“Human error” caused the leak, Verizon told CNN Tech

Welcome to India managing the servers that hold the world's personal data
With little to no training

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I miss the old 'clone' and true 'burner phone' days. Programming cellphones using live accounts and made up numbers sticking it to the man big time.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Some of the no contract cheap service/s such as Walmart, TracFone, Straight Talk and lease access to AT&T and Verizon towers, for example. Though, I don't believe some of those have your personal info, such as name attached unless requested, but search history is something they will have according to older privacy issues-f that pertains to the OP hack. Would check into this is one has a carrier that may be carried by Verizon.
edit on 12-7-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Wonderful.😠

I'm going back to a residential landline and a separate answering machine which worked perfectly fine. I talking rotary dial and mini cassette tapes for storage!

I apologize ahead time that I may not be available to answer your call until I get home....which happened to be completely okay years back as well!

These electronic leashes/trackers disguised as "can't live without" boredom pacifiers can kiss my grits.

Who's with me?

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Those were the good old days. Except along with that was breaking down by the side of the road and waiting in unsafe conditions for a good Samaritan to stop, or walking for miles for help. It meant carrying around quarters and hunting for a pay phone if on the road when you need to call someone - I have not even seen a pay phone in years. It meant not being available as easily when your kids need you. It meant not being able to call your kids to find out where they are.

The other day I forgot my phone at home and went to work. All day it was on my mind - felt like I was missing an arm or something.

I have Verizon, so this does bother me. But going back to landline? nahhh

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
Wonderful.😠

I'm going back to a residential landline and a separate answering machine which worked perfectly fine. I talking rotary dial and mini cassette tapes for storage!

I apologize ahead time that I may not be available to answer your call until I get home....which happened to be completely okay years back as well!

These electronic leashes/trackers disguised as "can't live without" boredom pacifiers can kiss my grits.

Who's with me?

Rotary dial may be unsupportable in the near future. I have a landline and a separate answering machine [digital] and mainly get spoofed number robocalls on it. About half the time, they just hang up and the rest is offers to give me a new credit card [scam], sell me home security systems, and any other thing they can think of.

I want to send them the home phone numbers of every Congressman and Senator and see what they'll do about it then. I have offered to pay for the electricity, drugs, ropes, or ammunition for the execution of the owners of such boiler rooms and robodialers. Should that be too harsh, a ten year sentence in a special prison used only for such miscreants would suffice. Said prison would have random ring tones greeting the prisoners every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

So what, I'm also interested in this thread. I didn't see a competing thread in "new"

Yeah better two than one post on THIS TOPIC.
Jeesh this is important!

Correct it If it burgers you olaru. Jeesh

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I don't use the #ing cloud.

I already don't trust my data being stored on a server somewhere in Utah.

I sure as hell don't trust my data just floating somewhere, non-tangibly in space.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Is this /s?

Because the cloud is just a buzzword meaning servers somewhere.

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Yourmomsentme
Hi.

“Human error” caused the leak, Verizon told CNN Tech

Welcome to India managing the servers that hold the world's personal data
With little to no training

My friend works for IBM. He is basically the only person in the world who understands one of their products (he worked for the company they bought and then fired everyone). They gave him the work of 3-4 Indians and expected him to do it all on the same pay he always got. In the end they won and he quit like they wanted him to. Can't have Americans filling jobs, now they can claim they need to fill it with Indians because Americans won't do the job.

new topics

top topics

join