It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: 4-year-old drives mom's car to video store

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
SAND LAKE, Michigan (AP) -- A boy drove his mother's car to a video store in the middle of the night, police said -- and he's all of 4 years old.

Although unable to reach the accelerator, the boy managed to put the car in gear and make his way to the store, a quarter-mile from his home, about 1:30 a.m. Friday, Sand Lake Police Chief Doug Heugel said. Finding the store closed, the youngster began a slow trip home.

www.cnn.com...

The mother told police her son tried to drive the car earlier after she let him steer from her lap.

"He's 4 years old. His mom didn't even know he was up," Heugel told The Grand Rapids Press. "I don't think he even realizes what he did."

No charges will be filed against the boy or his mother, Heugel said.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Now that's a kid who likes his movies! Veggie Tales all the way!

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
How does a 4 year old get the doors unlocked to the house, get the car keys and out of the house ?

The parents are sleeping soundly it appears...:shk::shk:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I tell you what when my son was 3 after I went to the baby sitter I made the mistake to leave the car on and the door open, as I was talking to the baby sitter my daughter that was at the time 5 started screaming as I look at the car my son was behind the wheel and the car was moving down the road.

I started running after the car, thanks God It was quite slow and it did not go that far.

My son is 18 now but onces in a while I still laugh about that day. Plus about several months latter he manage to dial 911 and you can imagine the rest.:shk:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's actually not hard for a child to escape. They only have to be quiet while in the area of the parents' room, after that, it's showtime. My little brother (who is now 32) was bad with sleepwalking. He'd be sound asleep and go right out the door into the neighborhood. We put a chain on and he got that off and left anyway. We finally had to install a lock that locked with a key from the inside. Even being asleep, he would pull a dining room chair over to the door, get on it and be out. The final time he was successful, he was found at the dead end where the woods began by a neighbor. Scared us to death. She said he was standing there with no expression, just total slack-faced look. It was as if his programming had run out or something. As she went to him (he ignored her calls), he laid down right in the street, curled up and started "normal" sleep again. If he can do all of that asleep at 5, then I'm not surprised at anything an awake and fully functional 4 year old can do!

Lucky for everyone that nobody was hurt.

top topics

join