It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misandrists and misogynists, I'm getting confused what they mean now

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
misandrist
mɪˈsandrɪst/
noun
noun: misandrist; plural noun: misandrists

a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against men.
"the counterpart to a misogynist is a misandrist"

adjective
adjective: misandrist

relating to or characteristic of a misandrist.
"the university is teaching misandrist lies"

misogynist
mɪˈsɒdʒ(ə)nɪst/
noun
noun: misogynist; plural noun: misogynists

a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.
"a bachelor and renowned misogynist"
synonyms: woman-hater, anti-feminist, male chauvinist, male supremacist, chauvinist, sexist; More
informalmale chauvinist pig, MCP
"a bachelor and renowned misogynist"

adjective
adjective: misogynist

relating to or characteristic of a misogynist.
"a misogynist attitude"

Seems simple doesn't it, some who dislikes others, or treats them bad, just over their gender.
But no, from what I read these days, if I call a a woman a "nasty woman" then the phrase in itself is now misogynistic, presumably because of the use of the gender. But if I call a man a "nasty man" then I've never heard anyone claim that is hatred for men.

It's like the term misogynist has been twisted to cover the most ridiculous things by some vocal groups, I don't get it.
Now I was inspired to write this because a current thread about the nasty woman t-shirt thing but didn't want to go off topic. I know Trump has made other statements which feminists will obviously criticise, so this thread is not about him. What I'm wondering is if I am arguing with a female now and call her a "nasty woman" are there feminists or whatever who will claim misogynist?

If so, should men start claiming Misandrists! now every time a woman calls us a "nasty man", you know equality?
Or, as I've found myself doing to avoid stupid sexist slurs back at me, I'll call a woman I'm arguing with either "nasty person" or if using expletives I now use typically male oriented ones like "nasty prick" or "nasty dick". I bet a hard core feminist would find something sexist about that though.

Maybe males are no longer allowed to insult women anymore, maybe that means they can't insult men either, don't see that happening in my lifetime lol

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
And....Why do we need to know these words?

We can't memorize every word someone with a degree makes up. I'm a Yooper, that even made the dictionary, and I do not expect anyone to know what that is.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Haha, I know!
It's just that 'misogynist' has become the buzz word these days, MSM, social media all crying about it over some of the most bull# stuff, like calling an adversary a "nasty woman". I'm calling it out in this thread, what are your thoughts about the questions in the topic?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: InceyWincey

They are both the same thing,
A dismissive insult used to derail a conversation.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I try not to engage with people who have a word for everything, there is zero chance of them thinking otherwise and all it serves to do is raise blood pressure.
The internet can make it seem its super rampant, but I generally find in real life I meet very few people who are assholes in that regard. Still plenty of assholes, but the generic kind.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: InceyWincey
a reply to: rickymouse

Haha, I know!
It's just that 'misogynist' has become the buzz word these days, MSM, social media all crying about it over some of the most bull# stuff, like calling an adversary a "nasty woman". I'm calling it out in this thread, what are your thoughts about the questions in the topic?

They use big words like that to describe the phrase "nasty woman" Yeah, it sounds like people are trying to impress others with big words. Half the time they do that, the word is not the correct word for the statement.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Oh I don't know any feminists in real life either, but online they are a vocal group.
Personally I compliment random females often, be it their beautiful nail painting I've noticed or their lovely hair, whatever. I have a 100% success rate of a smile and thank you because I'm not being a creep, I've just genuinely noticed some beautiful work and had to compliment it.
I'm absolutely sure if I lived in some places I'd be called a rapist or whatever, think the # you read on ATS and uni campuses.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Be nice!

The press worked hard to learn that new vocabulary word because they were sure they were going to be soooo busy writing stories about that nasty, misogynist Congress and the nasty, misogynist public who just don't understand what a wonderful, nice and well-intentioned woman our perfectly delightful madame president was going to be.

They need to get some use out of all those extra hours they put in learning a big, new word.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Half the time they do that, the word is not the correct word for the statement.

I agree, that's kinda my case in the OP. But, they also use shorter words like "sexist" if a male calls a female a "nasty woman", my argument is not the label, but the sentiment.
It seems like the only way to stay safe from ridiculous sexist claims is to say "nasty person", but it seems silly to me.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Haha yes it seems that way!
I bet the percentage of people who hate others solely for being either male or female is pretty damn small.
I don't know any, not one, never have.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

People like to think they know, even more so than the person speaking, what someone meant by what they said.

They apply motive to speecn. They apply intent behind the words. Usually without even knowing anything about the person they are desperate to throw a label at.

All this is due to the insecurities of the offended party.

So if someone calls you a misogynist, a misandrist, a _____-ist, it's because they have a problem.

So do them a favor and tell them to stop whining and man up.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Why understand the terms behind the subject being discussed. Guesses are good enough for much of the people in this country.

Facts and history are so old school now...

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
life is so much easier when you are an misantrophist

I dislike everyone equally

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I would say that a woman calling a man a 'nasty man' is no different than a man calling a woman a 'nasty woman'. Both could be considered misogyny/misandry. Plain and simple, we could boil this down to the fact that they are both very disrespectful things to say to a person and are both generalized on 'gendered' terms.

There is misandry and misogyny happening on an alarming number these days. The problem? No one points out misandry. No one points out the objectification or bashing of men. This quasi-new feminist culture that is continually being bred in women is turning hateful. I'm not saying that feminism is bad...or that ALL feminists are this way...but it has, in recent times, turned from a group of pro-women activists and has twisted into this anti-men hate group.

As a woman, I see this A LOT. Women crying feminism left and right, calling out misogyny. Especially within my place of employ. They will be totally against concepts like cat calling (which I can get, as a woman) but within the very same day start flirting with male co-workers who they know that are married and will proceed to swap pics of buff men in their underwear, talking about their appearance and objectifying them nonstop. Now...imagine if the tables were turned? A group of men objectifying a photo of a scantily clad female. Can you imagine the outrage?

Things have gotten so one-sided.

I know you briefly mentioned Trump, which...I personally would avoid (which I see you pretty much did, but again..you did mention him), as I would definitely say this is not a partisan issue. I have left leaning views and see this one-sided man-hating craziness...and I am a woman. People tend to think that women that lean left nowadays are all lumped into the man-hating feminist group. Which I can tell you is not always that case.

In some cases, I feel for my fellow woman. There is still a lot of sexism in the world that females do have to put up with, which is sad. But at the same time, I feel bad for men. They experience man-bashing by women. They are belittled. They are lumped into this idea that feminists have that they are dirty and perverse and are lesser. Which is not always the case for anyone of either gender. But for men...it's a little different. No one is listening to the misandry going on. Men are carrying on and are expected to not even be effected by it. Because, they are expected to be these big, brutish beings that don't experience hurt or pain or objectification.

I know this is pretty long. But...it's a forum and it deserves to be said. I feel for you guys. I get OP. Either women can shut up at being called 'nasty' or men should be allowed to call 'misandry' like women calling 'misogyny'. Women who consider themselves feminists need to get back to their grass roots ideas of trying to attain a normal and healthy label of equality, versus trying to make their gender appear superior. Because women are not. They're not inferior…but they're not superior.

Men and women are inherently different and therefore will be better and not-better at different things. It's not hate or oppression...it's science and biology. Instead of complaining non-stop about being called nasty or having men whistle at you on the street..or complain that tampons are taxed...start worrying about real feminist issues. Like femacide occurring throughout the world…Or female circumcision. Real issues. Not this stupid, hippie, free-bleeding crap.

tldr; You could call both misandry/misogyny. Bottom-line, people need to simply not say such things and should be kind and respectful to one another.

That is all.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
So do them a favor and tell them to stop whining and man up.

Hahaha you sexist pig!!! Man up, love it!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ReyaPhemhurth

Fantastic well considered post and I agree with all your sentiments

Be nice is my go-to phrase, but when someone is being nasty I will call reserve the option to say I think they are a nasty person, male or female.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with calling a man or woman (or any of the every increasing gender variations inbetween) nasty.

Just as there is nothing wrong with calling a person with white, light brown,dark brown, yellow, red, black or green skin nasty. Or someone who is tall, short, fat, American, Ethiopean or vegan.

Quite often they are!

What is wrong is disliking any group of people, per se, without rational reason.

Criticising a women is NOT misogyny. Those who suggest otherwise are, however, ignorant and foolish.

(Whats the word for disliking ignorant and foolish people?)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Be nice is my go-to phrase, but when someone is being nasty I will call reserve the option to say I think they are a nasty person, male or female.

Agreed. Remember the good ol' Bambi days where Thumper taught us that if we had nothing nice to say, not to say anything at all?

Misandry and misogyny are real things, and I completely get them when they occur..but..instead of teaching people to group everyone into some sort of category based on rude or hateful statements...we need to RE-TEACH people how to show their fellow human-being some respect.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

Using the gender reference seems to be the crime. It happened to William Hague (UK Foreign Secretary) in 2013:
MSM Evening Standard

Foreign Secretary William Hague faced accusations of sexism today after he was pictured saying “stupid woman” at a Labour MP asking a question in the Commons.

I guess he has learned to say stupid person instead after that lol
I have these days online, not in real life, I called a close female friend the other day a stupid blonde and lifted her up in a bear hug when she told me she was anxious about some deep emotional life decision thing going on. She wanted my support and approval, long story, but emotional, and my stupid blonde line and hug made us both laugh.

I don't know any extreme feminists in real life, people are pretty much equal where I live, except for free nightclub entry for females, don't hear any women moaning about that ever!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReyaPhemhurth

Agreed. Remember the good ol' Bambi days where Thumper taught us that if we had nothing nice to say, not to say anything at all?

Misandry and misogyny are real things, and I completely get them when they occur..but..instead of teaching people to group everyone into some sort of category based on rude or hateful statements...we need to RE-TEACH people how to show their fellow human-being some respect.

Agreed, but then we are in the realms of suppressing basic human emotions, I prefer emotions in real life, because, urm, it's real.
I would never want to be in a relationship with a woman who suppressed shouting "Stop being a #ing prick!" if I'm being a prick. I want fire and confidence because I've never hit a woman but confident passionate shouting when we disagree, hell yeah! That's when two people share their deepest emotions, intense, but not a situation where either fear violence, that's deep love to me, and something beautiful.

The make up after is always the best as well

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join