It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Deflect: White House/GOP Digging up Dirt on Journalists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You did not read my posts. I agree in theory , i did in several posts that journalism should be totally free.
I understand and have no problem with bias, that's nature of humans.

I DID however, raise the question: How to handle when the press, journalism in general is not living up to it's task in a democracy to provide us with the news we need to make our decisions? Either out of greed, a hidden agenda, plain old dollars, or political motivation or a combination.

edit on 12-7-2017 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

It is unethical and should be raising serious Constitutional concerns in you Constitutionalists.

I am going to leave this here. Full quote so context can be accounted for.

SCARBOROUGH: Exactly. That is exactly what I hear. What Yamiche [Alcindor] said is what I hear from all the Trump supporters that I talk to who were Trump voters and are still Trump supporters. They go, 'Yeah you guys are going crazy. He's doing -- what are you so surprised about? He is doing exactly what he said he is going to do.
' BRZEZINSKI: Well, I think that the dangerous, you know, edges here are that he is trying to undermine the media and trying to make up his own facts. And it could be that while unemployment and the economy worsens, he could have undermined the messaging so much that he can actually control exactly what people think. And that, that is our job.

he can actually control what people think.....And that, that is OUR job.

People like that get exactly what they deserve.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Well going by that, then the free press has never existed in this country because the press has always been owned by private interests pushing their agendas. This harkens all the way back to the 1700's and Ben Franklin running his propaganda campaign to leave the Crown. So you may want to try a different argument. That one is rendered silly by even a passing knowledge of history.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

There are plenty of people that are willing to trust the free market when it comes to things like healthcare and the environment. Why should the press be any different?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I have no idea what you are trying to tell me here and why that means the press should be investigated and possibly silenced in direct violation of the 1st Amendment. Police your own camp first and do this # on Fox News then maybe I'll believe your sincerity here. Start with Sean Hannity.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I actually don't like the way those two are going either.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Yes! The US Media qualifies as free press! Jesus H Christ on a stick!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant

You did not read my posts. I agree in theory , i did in several posts that journalism should be totally free.
I understand and have no problem with bias, that's nature of humans.

I read your post. It was a bunch of bS of you trying to convince me that we should ignore the First Amendment because you don't like what is being reported.

I DID however, raise the question: How to handle when the press, journalism in general is not living up to it's task in a democracy to provide us with the news we need to make our decisions? Either out of greed, a hidden agenda, plain old dollars, or political motivation or a combination.

The only answer to that question is show them with your attention and dollars or lack of. The government shouldn't be involved here. You are just making up a circular argument to infringe on the First.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Journalists are supposed to print the news

Says who?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
originally posted by: EartOccupant

I read your post. It was a bunch of bS of you trying to convince me that we should ignore the First Amendment because you don't like what is being reported.

Feel free to point out where i posted that!
edit on 12-7-2017 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

The response wont be memes

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I don't think the WH should be doing this - if true.

I think and independent commission needs to be formed to set journalistic standards and root out people in the profession that are not fit to do their jobs. Outlets like CNN should certainly be closed down, or at least have their political operatives replaced with real journalists. The role of the 4th estate is too important for it to polluted with the Tappers or Maddows of this world. There should also be much more control on who owns media outlets and a guard against monopolies. Too few people are controlling the mainstream media right now.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Well going by that, then the free press has never existed in this country because the press has always been owned by private interests pushing their agendas. This harkens all the way back to the 1700's and Ben Franklin running his propaganda campaign to leave the Crown. So you may want to try a different argument. That one is rendered silly by even a passing knowledge of history.

C'mon dude, you and I both know you've got enough smarts to recognize there is a world of difference between a system in which a businessman owns a newspaper in a city and one in which a single corporation owns an entire global TV network, online provider, and the major newspapers of 100 cities.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

This post basically comes off like you are defending Trump's actions here. I don't give a # if you think it is a witch hunt. I spent years yelling at conservatives that the Benghazi scandal was a witch hunt but never once demanded the journalists pushing these narratives be investigated by the government. Y'all would have called that # out in it a skinny minute. Yet here YOU are giving me some song and dance about the Russia thing being a witch hunt like that validates Trump's play here. If this were truly a witch hunt then you have to let it play its course and it will go away. Well maybe not. The witch hunts conservatives shat all over the Democrats never went away. Oh well. Pay backs a bitch.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

My sides! You doubled down!!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

C'mon dude, you and I both know you've got enough smarts to recognize there is a world of difference between a system in which a businessman owns a newspaper in a city and one in which a single corporation owns an entire global TV network, online provider, and the major newspapers of 100 cities.

This is what -I- know:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Have a good day.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I have no idea what you are trying to tell me here and why that means the press should be investigated and possibly silenced in direct violation of the 1st Amendment. Police your own camp first and do this # on Fox News then maybe I'll believe your sincerity here. Start with Sean Hannity.

lol
idiot on msnbc tells the world "it is Our job to control what people think"
Krazy..yeah but sean hannity

lol

What part of the 1st protects journalists from investigation and criticism?
That is what you are crying about here.
Are journalists now a protected class?
How will exposing bias and shoddy reporting infringe on their 1st rights?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You too. Sorry you got indignant because I told you how I feel about your opinions. I'm tired of pulling my punches with you guys. Y'all need a dose of reality.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

lol
idiot on msnbc tells the world "it is Our job to control what people think"
Krazy..yeah but sean hannity

lol

What part of the 1st protects journalists from investigation and criticism?
That is what you are crying about here.
Are journalists now a protected class?
How will exposing bias and shoddy reporting infringe on their 1st rights?

The government investigating journalists REEKS of press suppression any way you slice it and you are being very disingenuous not to see it right now. And the reason I brought up Hannity is because he is the biggest pusher of opinions disguised as factual news on television right now. But I know you don't want to clean your closet and are only looking to attack liberals because you are a sycophant and not a real patriot.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join