It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter users sue Donald Trump for blocking them over critical comments

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

thanks

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Twitter is a private company. But twitter is not blocking people from Trump's page, Trump is. Which could easily be seen ad government blocking free speech.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: defiythelie
Which could easily be seen ad government blocking free speech.

Anyone can see Trumps tweets, except a blocked account - in which case those folks log out and can read his tweet plain as day - they just can't comment until they log in - therein lies the conundrum - they are free to speak their mind logged in - just not on Trump threads.

Sucks to suck.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Learned my lesson from our grade four teacher, Mrs. D.

If you were a 'mouth' you got the packing tape across your face for a while. Didn't take long to catch on and show some respect. Valuable lessons we used to learn in school. Nowadays, she'd get fired for it I'm certain.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: antoinemarionette

Poor poor snowflakes!

Ya know what? I don't even have a twitter account but yet I can go on an look at who is posting what. I just can't troll them. That's what this is all about!

Exactly - no one is being excluded from updates. A coordinated effort was made to flood all his tweets with troll responses and those doing it were blocked and are now crying. Funny.

I love the light being shone on liberal hypocrisy - when conservatives are banned they say twitter is a private company and they can do what they want...

edit on 12/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I fail to see why this is even an issue?

Did i miss something?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Don't sue me bro, don't sue me !!

Hands up, don't sue !!

Isn't is funny though, try to engage one of the sjw's in a debate, and SCREEEEEE!!

Should be a law against it I say. Replete with police brutality and a stern scolding.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: antoinemarionette
a reply to: badw0lf

President Donald Trump’s tweets “are considered official statements by the President of the United States,” because “the president is the President of the United States,” White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer explained patiently at Tuesday’s briefing.

If the tweets are official statements, then frankly, they should be viewed as such by all. Wouldn't you agree?

Yet there is no explanation or protocol for replies to Tweets. Any suggestions?

His personal tweets are his own words, his legally provided as a person, individual words, and are not statements of the government. right or wrong, his personal words are his. should he utter them? I am not in a position to say, but his blocking users is his right.

If he were to use his POTUS twitter account and block citizens, or political leaders should they tweet, then you may have a point. But that is not the case.

if I were running a forum, say like ATS, and in an administrative context were to reply to a thread, if I were to separate myself from my position as a staff member, my post would have a disclaimer that I was posting as a participant in a thread, not as a staff member. Any action taken by me would be only as a staff member, an administrator or moderator.

Strangely, ATS has such a distinguishing disclaimer. It helps to show that a post is not as anyone other than a participant.

Trump has his personal account on twitter, which is obvious to all, and an official one.

It was his personal one that has caused this issue, and as it stands, is a non issue.

edit on 12/7/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: defiythelie
Twitter is a private company. But twitter is not blocking people from Trump's page, Trump is. Which could easily be seen ad government blocking free speech.

If it were the POTUS official twitter, perhaps.

it's not. can you sue me if I block you on twitter, just because you want to goad me with sarcasm should I say something you disagree with?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
They have a story on a news network. They now a have thread on ATS. They are getting exactly what they wanted.

We have the right to block anyone we want. Even the president.

edit on 12-7-2017 by ConscienceZombie because: silly little typos

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
I understand the premise of the argument, I just don't think it has much merit. Twitter is a private company, it's not the government passing laws to prohibit free speech, which is what the 1st amendment is all about.

Most people these days don't understand the first amendment at all.
en.wikipedia.org...

No law was broken. The government is not restricting the right of the people .
Trump is free to do with his twitter whatever he likes.
Even if the tweeter account he uses as potus was blocking people
it still wouldn't be braking the law. Blocking someone on
twitter is in no way infringing on your right of speech.
I promise if he blocks you on twitter and you go out in the streets
and scream your opinion you will NOT be arrested.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I agree that no law was broken. I do sense a whiff of irony in this situation though...

If Twitter is used for official statements from the Whitehouse, then perhaps it would be better if no one is allowed to reply to the President's tweets.

That way his Twitter account will simply be consider an official US policy source, and not as social media, which is what Twitter was initially created to be.
edit on 12-7-2017 by antoinemarionette because: deleted word

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

But it is official. Sean Spicer said so.

Sean Spicer says....

Your avatar is truly disgusting, by the way. Kafka's Metamorphosis?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I don't think replying to the President's posts automatically means the poster hates the President.

Very true.

They disagree with the President. That is the correct deduction. The President is blocking those who disagree with his Twitter posts.

I would have to see the proof for that, but it is irrelevant anyway. The block button is used for whoever you want to use it on.

Do you too believe that Twitter is at fault and it is they who should be sued for providing a block function?

Well if a block button is somehow stopping people from their "right to free speech", which it is not, what do you think?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: antoinemarionette
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I agree that no law was broken. I do sense a whiff of irony in this situation though...

If Twitter is used for official statements from the Whitehouse, then perhaps it would be better if no one is allowed to reply to the President's tweets.

That way his Twitter account will simply be consider an official US policy source, and not as social media, which is what Twitter was initially created to be.

Or you could get over it and stop worrying about his twitter account which seems to get under the skin of the left so much.
So far liberals have attacked Trump for using it, which he has ignored... had the media contact twitter to try and get his account suspended or a tweet taken down.. and now it's off to the courts... then liberals claim they are worried about free speech

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
None of the comments are critical. They are all troll comments. If they want to call Trump a dog, they are free to do that outside the White House. Or are they too lazy to do that?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

What makes you think I'm from the left?

A presumptuous assumption on your part.

Everyone has to be from the left or the right with you lot.

Those of you who think these questions aren't worth asking, why not @#% off to another thread. Nobody made you come here, just like nobody made Trump use Twitter as his official mouthpiece.

edit on 12-7-2017 by antoinemarionette because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2017 by antoinemarionette because: words, words, words

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It's been a long time since I took a media law course, but I'm pretty sure harrassment is not protected as free speech! People are entitled to free speech, but not an audience. My understanding was that certain users were basically lying in wait for each tweet so they'd be the first to reply and usually with something negative regardless of the subject. Apparently some were also getting help from Twitter to be 'first' or top of the list in replies. Don't know if that is try or not, just what I've read elsewhere. Twitter really isn't my thing, although I do follow the associated drama surrounding their various policies.

The way I see it though, if Trump cannot block users, then I don't think any blue check mark "journalists" should be allowed to, either. Yet many block others at the first reply they find disagreeable.
edit on 12-7-2017 by Annagramma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annagramma

My understanding was that certain users were basically lying in wait for each tweet so they'd be the first to reply and usually with something negative regardless of the subject.

My god, that sounds so much like ATS!

And I agree with your summation. But again I must reiterate, because Twitter was chosen as an "Official" US platform for statements made by the POTUS, should there be criteria in place for "official" responses, or should Twitter remain the great free-for-all platform it has always been? That's where I feel that it is truly lacking and was a poor choice for officialdom.
edit on 12-7-2017 by antoinemarionette because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

If it was a violation of the first amendment then comment blocker on youtube would be sued and gone by now.

Trump has the right to select who shows up on his twitter feed. Its his feed. HE dictates what stays in his feed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join