It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soylent (Green?) Now Being Sold at 7-Eleven

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Soylent Now Being Sold at 7-Eleven

Quartz reports that the chain launched its first run of Soylent products Monday in 18 stores across the greater-LA region. It’s the first time the meal-replacement drink has been offered in stores.

It might not be made from plankton from the oceans or lentils (spoiler alert) - it's people - (see Soylent Green) but it's pretty freaky to see it on the market.

Makes you wonder why the guy names it so? Self fulfilinh prophecy or a gimic?

"Eating isn't easy," Soylent’s website says, vowing to make meals less stressful via its range of drink and powder mixtures described by Quartz(snip) Marketed toward millennials, the time-starved hacker-set, and efficient Silicon Valley-types, the products offer a nutrition-dense meal replacement you can down in a few gulps rather than stopping to get lunch.

Make them love it... It's 'trendy'! It's fassssssssst! (It's gonna kill you)...

The article goes on to say how it takes like 'licking stamps' or 'stale cheerios' - but hey, I remember when quinoa came out. All the 'trendies' ate it. I thought it tasted like hamster food.

So - just another bit of freakyness brought to you by... Harry Harrison?

edit on 3859Tuesday201713 by silo13 because: ) fix

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I would like to get my hands on a bottle or can for my bookshelf with my other strange # but a big ole glass or bowl of stamp licking does not sound attractive

Eh. Would have been better if it were silent green.
I have to go through my mental hard drive cause I feel like someone had some soylent here at work a couple weeks ago. Might have been something else but after looking at the lox I'm pretty sure it was. I'm in Ohio though
edit on 11-7-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
Makes you wonder why the guy names it so? Self fulfilinh prophecy or a gimic?

Movies predict the future.

There's nothing inherently wrong with eating human meat. It's good food. It has the closest "protein" to that required by humans for sustenance. It's just that we think killing another human just to eat his or her flesh is wrong. But, if they die of natural causes, or car accident (road kill), why feed their flesh to the birds (Tibet), or to the fish (India), or destroy the flesh with cremation, or feed the flesh to the worms (burial), etc..Just make sure you don't eat the brain, which can have dangerous "prions".

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Darn it why didn't I have this Idea it is genius...great marketing.
The actual product though the description to me just means beer.

" the products offer a nutrition-dense meal replacement you can down in a few gulps rather than stopping to get lunch"

Yup thats beer.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I remember reading about this stuff like 5 years ago or so.
It sounds interesting, but I like food too much to live off some protein shake things.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Agreed, I wouldn't make a shake out of us though.

People taste like pork, just roast'em up.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Pretty gross.

Seriously though - why would anyone want to 'drink' their meal? Give me a sloppy burger or a nice thick steak to chew on!

Now if we’re talking apocalypse food... Yummm...

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Do you guys have Weetabix drinks?.

www.weetabixonthego.co.uk...

Not bad tbh.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I just did a little search to see if there might be a remake of the movie in the works, but I found no evidence of that. There is a remake of 'Logan's Run' in the works... supposed to be a series of movies.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Marketed toward millennials

Hmmmmm aren't they the same generation that preaches SJW nonsense? I wonder if there's something in these types of foods and drinks that's causing them to act that way......
edit on 7/11/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
From a practical point of view, a society that has adopted "eating people" as a food source, will never run out of food, until they run out of people. So, no one ever starves to death, except the last man standing. For the majority of its existence, then, that society would always be "well fed." You'd need an additional food source, however, to sustain the society indefinitely. But, in times of temporary famine, that society would always recover, while other societies might go extinct.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Reminds me of when people started eating each other during times of famines in Communist countries like China and North Korea.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Like pork?

I hear the taste varies from person to person.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It was like good, fully developed veal, not young, but not yet beef. It was very definitely like that, and it was not like any other meat I had ever tasted. It was so nearly like good, fully developed veal that I think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal. It was mild, good meat with no other sharply defined or highly characteristic taste such as for instance, goat, high game, and pork have. The steak was slightly tougher than prime veal, a little stringy, but not too tough or stringy to be agreeably edible. The roast, from which I cut and ate a central slice, was tender, and in color, texture, smell as well as taste, strengthened my certainty that of all the meats we habitually know, veal is the one meat to which this meat is accurately comparable.
source

You can go here if you'd like to see the nutrtional value and caloric chart.

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I've eaten some meat types most wouldn't think to eat when I was overseas but I've not really thought about human flesh much. I hope that's a good thing.

edit on 1952Tuesday201713 by silo13 because: source fix

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'd probably try it! I usually don't eat lunch and breakfast is iffy most days too. One good balanced meal usually works.

I typically drink Naked Juice's Green Machine which has spirulina (yep, that green algae also known as 'pond scum') as a dietary supplement because I rarely have breakfast during the week. Tastes like apple juice, looks like something served on Star Trek, lost of vitamins and stuff that is good for you.

So I don't see this as much different. Soy+lentil = soylent which is how they marketed the protein in Soylent Green (see, just need a good PR person!). Even so, still need solid food stuffs.

This has been on sale at Amazon for a while. Why LA? Figured it would be more trendy like San Fran or something.

soylent

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
ahh, the same stuff they have one sci-fi movies, it's becoming real!

Foodstuffs being replaced by nutrient pastes, real food being reserved for those with the coin to buy it. Imagine going to the local gas station and being a double cheese burger flavored nutrient enriched paste.

Does that mean that the number of overweight americans will decline?

I'd start worrying once the military starts using it instead of you know, food.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

First saw these in Bulgaria...bizarre drink!

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Does that mean that the number of overweight americans will decline?

Not likely...lol

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I can't wait for Mad max times I know who I'm going to eat first and how to cook em.
Finger licking good.

But I will take advice from Big Cats such as lions etc only eat Vegetarians, don't eat other meat eaters.
edit on 11-7-2017 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: watchitburn

Like pork?

I hear the taste varies from person to person.

You're right, good catch.

Americans taste like pork.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join