It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study: Being Transgender Is Not A Mental Disorder

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

😉👌🏻

Edit: So then I what is your objective here? It seems like your goal is to convince as many people as possible that Trans identity is illegitimate?? Way to contribute positively to the world 👍🏻👍🏻

edit on 12-2-2018 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I believe transgender-ism is nowhere near a mental disorder but a physical disorder of chromosomes and hormones.
I also believe (which disputes one of this study findings) that the biggest source of stress and anxiousness for any transgender person is feeling transgender in the first place. Everything else takes a second place. It's similar in effect to extreme poverty but worse. Cannot imagine how profoundly off you must feel when something so fundamentally fundamental such as your own body doesn't feel right. I wish we had a magic wand to help.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

😉👌🏻

Edit: So then I what is your objective here? It seems like your goal is to convince as many people as possible that Trans identity is illegitimate?? Way to contribute positively to the world 👍🏻👍🏻

If you want an echo chamber, you should not bring a topic to a discussion board.

Nothing I have said would indicate I seek to delegitimize anyone. Quite the opposite. I favor empowerment. That said...I balk at the notion of "trans identity". None of us can be boiled down to what we do in our nethers. "Identity" is 100% a product of self, not group.

My "objective" is to discuss things that are of interest to me. Human psychology is interesting to me.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

That’s just it though, you don’t get to tell me how I feel about your intent. I don’t believe you and I think your intent is to deligitimize Trans Identity despite what you say. Also I’ll have you know my identity consists of more than my “nethers” and I hope yours does too otherwise we are nothing more than the sum of our genitalia and that would make you a “Richard”. As for echo chamber I’m perfectly fine with debating opposing views but I do find it tedious when the “usual suspects” keep perpetuating their anti-Trans rhetoric which is dangerous to us. It legitimizes hostility towards us for being seen as odd at best or freaks at worst in the minds of the lowest common denominators. Some people are not as civil and gentle as you and would use the very same viewpoint you hold to justify
treating us inhumanely. My point earlier is that we will never agree, so what’s the point? 🤷🏻‍♀️

edit on 12-2-2018 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

There is no "anti trans rhetoric" coming from me. I've said time and time again that I support people living their lives however they feel. I just don't see why that means I have to say things that I don't believe are true.

If you believe there is a "trans identity" then, by virtue, it identifies based on genital configuration. People are free to do such, I just think that the human being is far more complex than those tiny little boxes that people like to fit into. And that complexity is a true thing of beauty.

There is no agenda. There is discussion, here on a discussion board. Its preposterous to post stuff up on a discussion board, then begin insulting people and employing logical fallacies when someone doesn't agree with you.

ETA: I am free to tell you what I choose to tell you. You are free to disregard it. If you aren't fond of it, please report it. But gatekeeping these discussions is absurd. There is no need to post anything if you have no desire to have discussion.

The most ridiculous part: you asked me a question, and when I answered it pulled out your grandstand to tell me I "don't get to tell you" something. LOL
edit on 2/12/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

One thing Id like to know and rule out , is that if we follow or assign to the evolution of life on earth , we all share a common ancestory wayyyyy back when we were single cell organisms

what if the "parthenogenesis " and "asexual " , "sex changing" genes from amphibians are somehow already in our DNA
and these are just the genotypical expressions of these genes passed onto us from that chain of animal life ?

I understand its a pretty big reach but think about it, what if we have inherited these genetic traits from our common ancestors
. Like the aggression and dominance come from the ancestoral species that were predators, the different aspects of our sexuality come from the species that can change and morph and reproduce on their own.
just a thought

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

just because you dont agree on something doesnt mean there is no point in discussing it , as there may be a point which you have yet to discuss that you may actually agree on!

that is the point in discussion with opposing views to see the other side , or to shift your paradigm etc !

of course you may never agree but that fact alone isnt cause to stop! there would be no movement or change if you were simply not to attempt discourse because you didnt agree to begin with.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

As i understand it, it is theoretically possible for self cloning to occur in women humans. I don't think there's ever been an example of it, but the genes are there.

I suspect that the sexual fluidity we have in our species relates more to crowding and/or social need, and derives from epigentic markers. In areas where there is more crowing/less resources, it would be a wise adaptation among social creatures to have some among the population not bear children, and maybe even contribute to child raising on the behalf of other tribal members. I know there are traditions for this in the south pacific, with gay men being treated more like revered aunts by other tribal members. If i recall correctly there is a gender that they have assigned to such a person.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Final reply, ok. That’s it I’m out so have fun discussing amongst yourselves in an echo chamber unless someone else decides to come along and play with you but I’m finished.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Im not sure if you are replyng to me or the thread in general ?
I have a genuine interest in trans issues , I want to understand what trans issues are and how trans people live in our society, so I can better understand them and their needs.
How else can we learn unless we ask questions , discuss facts, talk about the lives of trans people albeit with respect.
I was stating that the medical community class it as a biological phenomenon and the medical/scientific community have defined it in great detail as yet. So this is an area where people will need to ask questions .
I understand its a sensitive subject but if you want change to happen you have to concede the fact questions will be asked. I am unsure why you would start a public discussion on ATS if you werent willing to discuss the subject.

I understand if you no longer wish to participate thanks for starting the thread and giving your thoughts and feelings on the subject.
Also we will continue the discussion as it wasnt an echo chamber to begin with as there are conflicting views on the subject from the jump!
So be it if you wish to stop the discussion, but no christopher wallace if you come back and continue !
All the best

edit on 12-2-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

then neither is schizophrenia

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Hey texan that is an angle I hadnt considered before , we simply forget that we as a species will be evolving socially ,our physiological evolution may have slowed , but our conscious evolution is probably still going along.
My Fiance' and I arent planning on having children either and we live in the city , I can totally see what you mean.
I guess it will be a collaborative effort over many different scientific disciplines before humanity deciphers this enigma.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Im not sure if you are replyng to me or the thread in general ?
I have a genuine interest in trans issues , I want to understand what trans issues are and how trans people live in our society, so I can better understand them and their needs.
How else can we learn unless we ask questions , discuss facts, talk about the lives of trans people albeit with respect.
I was stating that the medical community class it as a biological phenomenon and the medical/scientific community have defined it in great detail as yet. So this is an area where people will need to ask questions .
I understand its a sensitive subject but if you want change to happen you have to concede the fact questions will be asked. I am unsure why you would start a public discussion on ATS if you werent willing to discuss the subject.

I understand if you no longer wish to participate thanks for starting the thread and giving your thoughts and feelings on the subject.
Also we will continue the discussion as it wasnt an echo chamber to begin with as there are conflicting views on the subject from the jump!
So be it if you wish to stop the discussion, but no christopher wallace if you come back and continue !
All the best

I think humanity as a whole has a need to feel normal and accepted. So those who identify as trans want to hear they are normal and “the way they are supposed to be”.

Science and medicine don’t do “supposed to”.. they do “is”..

What I find interesting is...

Say it is an agreed upon biolocal mistake. Where their brains are literally wired for the opposite sex.

If we should diagnosis it in the womb and fix it. Should we???

I think most trans people say no. Misery loves company and people want to feel like there are others like them out there..

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox
Well there are obvious medical ethics involved do we start determining what genes are right or wrong for our species!
if it were a genetic issue then if it were my child , I wouldnt want them to suffer in any way so of course id take the opportunity if available to ensure that my child didnt suffer gender dysphoria.

Also what everyone does forget is we are not alone there are 7.1 billion of us we are all the same species on the same life boat floating through space. So it is within our best interest to co-operate

Eugenics can be a really ugly thing , but it can also be very beneficial if it helps eliminate disease or various other genetic mutations which have negative side affects on the human body, I believe in diversity and the diversity of our species through normal reproduction to ensure the strength of the gene pool.

It is a question which does carry a negative stigma , especially when the fallacy of race gets thrown around.
Do we have a debt to our species to ensure we keep our gene pool strong and disease free? , just s we have debt to our planet to keep it clean and healthy?, as we have a debt for each other to care and protect our fellow humans?
In order to ensure the survival of the human race.

Anyway I will wait on more research on the subject to delve into the origins of this biological phenonomenon , scientific classification aside, its a very real tangible thing which people live the planet over on a daily basis and we have to remember its a human issue, its peoples lives we are talking about and dealing with.

edit on 12-2-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Not when we know it is a genetic malfunction..

Like Down syndrome..iif we can fix Down syndrome “in the woumb”. We so it 100% of the time..

We don’t ask “will this person be happier without their higher functions?” We just fix them..

The problem with eugenics is they were doing it on subjective or religious terms...

So of course they got it wrong..

I had a ER doctor tell me if it wasn’t for modern medicine. Extreme cases of diabetes wouldn’t exist..

Those with that gene don’t survive to adulthood to reproduce.

He had a daughter with an extreme case of diabetes..

That was just the clinical reality.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
If anything is mentally disordered it is heterosexuality.

Bros and their fish-wives.

Flip, run to the hills!
edit on 12-2-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

There is no "anti trans rhetoric" coming from me. I've said time and time again that I support people living their lives however they feel. I just don't see why that means I have to say things that I don't believe are true.

If you believe there is a "trans identity" then, by virtue, it identifies based on genital configuration. People are free to do such, I just think that the human being is far more complex than those tiny little boxes that people like to fit into.

if it's so important to have open discussion on a public forum, if human psychology is really so interesting to you, then perhaps you will finally listen when a trans person tells you for what feels like the quadrillionth time, that being trans is
NOT ALL ABOUT GENITALS

a great majority of us find that a combination of hormones and social transition - being accepted for exactly what we are by those around us - alleviates most of our negative symptoms and allows us to live normal, happy, productive lives.

the only people who care at all about genitals are the ones who come into these threads, refuse to listen to a word from people who actually live these lives, and shout about genitals denoting gender for ream after ream of tedious repetitve argument.

if you can't take that on board, everything else you say, all that stuff about the lack of agenda and the preposterousness of being insulted, it all comes off as empty posturing, nothing but bluster.
if you want to take part in a discussion about our lives, LISTEN TO US, or you will always seem like nothing more than another moronic cis person with their fingers in their ears up to their second knuckle.
it's on you, man. you've clearly got a good brain in your head. please engage it.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Is this not about sexual identity?

The psychological angst comimg from society i get. But if its not about sex and gender....then what is it about?

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

gender is not genitals

genitals, not gender

not gender, genitals are

i don't
i don't know how to say this any other way
come on man meet me half way here

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder