It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study: Being Transgender Is Not A Mental Disorder

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Butterfinger
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Everyone knows if you have a gay friend you dont ever mention it, if you do youre a liar?

I guess youre lying too?

Why, should we deny we know and associate with gays

I don't get it

I know its an old cliche to say "Some of my best freinds are gay/black/minority of the day" but honestly what else would you say if that were actually true?

Well one would want to express that to show impartiality or favor in that area. We are talking about people here, gay or not and non-flamboyant one actually exist, more so than the queens that live out loud at every event.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

No problem, I was just curious to hear your story of how you knew you were different at 4. There is about 30 or so pages of meaningful discussion, and it went far beyond the premise of the OP.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

You know what, I am actually enjoying a few of the discussions going on in this thread.

This discussion with you however I find annoying, I think its just you, you are annoying me, your posts I just dont like. Why waste my time. I disagree with you, you disagree with me, end off.

So because of that please do not expect me to respond to your future posts in this thread, i would ask that you try to show some respect, but I can already tell from your posting so far that you are probably not capable of that.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Well as a christian I think it's important that other Christians see me as a person who loves and doesn't judge
We as a Christian community have a pretty atrocious record to those who are different
That does need to change

None of those I know live out loud
I probably know anger more, maybe

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Your

*you’re

talking about the eradication of speech

Why does the conversation always devolve to a discussion about “free speech”? Seriously. Why?

That is dangerous and oppressive

and we are the sensitive snowflakes lol..

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Cos some need hate in their lives. This week it is Trans folk.
Live and let live people have some empathy for others and try aND PUT YOURSELF IN OTHER PEOPLES SHOES BEFORE HATING BECAUSE IT IS NOT YOUR WAY OF LIFE.

oH BUGGER SORRY MY KEYBOARD KEEPS PUTTING caps lock off and ON....GRRR.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

So just let the morons be morons. You don't suggest we eradicate those with homophobic beliefs do you?

Our laws kind of already are, at-least in the UK, the law is very strict on this matter, if you say "no your not staying in my hotel because your gay".... its n the national paper.

The initial post I replied to, first talked about finding solace in the fact that in a few decades we would all be dead and the new generation would be freedom open minded utopia (my interpretation), then shifted to "no just eradicate all the toxic beliefs".

To be honest with you I can see why it came off that way to you.

I do think that as time passes society will just be even more so accepting of LGBT, that is how i took it, not to mean that we will never speak of homophobia again.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Okay there buddy...where is your expert scientific proof of this?

Read what i said, I did not claim anything in that statement to be a fact rather a personally held belief.

Yo...the article used in this thread was on a "scientific" level to prove something. I would expect anyone making statements contrary or for this would also use backup to their claims.

So if what you are sharing is just your beliefs, then say THAT from the beginning not after you made a claim or "argument".

I can see your point and am not disrespecting that. I also THINK GM Foods aren't the causality of TGism, but then again, GM Foods were healthy to eat until it was PROVEN they cause tumours to grow inside rats.

So yeah, maybe GM Foods are to blame for the rise of TG conversion? Damn, need to do some expert scientific research on this. However, since I have better things to do I won't be doing this.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

No problem, I was just curious to hear your story of how you knew you were different at 4. There is about 30 or so pages of meaningful discussion, and it went far beyond the premise of the OP.

Part of me would like to share that but honestly I do not feel as if anything would be gained. Also I would have to share very private details and thoughts that I would rather not expose in such a hostile public forum. I just feel like I would be opening myself to be attacked with nothing to be gained. I will say that my very first and earliest memory on the matter is pretty concrete in my own mind and to put it vaguely I was pretty confident between the ages of 4-5 that the plumbing was wrong.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

You know what, I am actually enjoying a few of the discussions going on in this thread.

This discussion with you however I find annoying, I think its just you, you are annoying me, your posts I just dont like. Why waste my time. I disagree with you, you disagree with me, end off.

So because of that please do not expect me to respond to your future posts in this thread, i would ask that you try to show some respect, but I can already tell from your posting so far that you are probably not capable of that.

You are right, the morning coffee hasn't set in for me...I am a little grumpy this morning and the sparks aren't flying yet in my ways of critical thinking like they should be.

That said, I am apologizing to you if my posts seem rude or disrespeckful to you and you only.

Also, please respeck Vit C.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

Part of me would like to share that but honestly I do not feel as if anything would be gained. Also I would have to share very private details and thoughts that I would rather not expose in such a hostile public forum. I just feel like I would be opening myself to be attacked with nothing to be gained. I will say that my very first and earliest memory on the matter is pretty concrete in my own mind and to put it vaguely I was pretty confident between the ages of 4-5 that the plumbing was wrong.

I think it is really sad that ATS has turned into a place where you feel like that.

I have to say i have enjoyed reading what you have written so far and as I have said above this has actually made for a very interesting thread into a topic i would probably not normally get into.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Even then, "toxic" is quite subjective and relative to the person. If we truly want an honest and open discussion, we have to allow all forms of opinion, regardless of how extreme it may be. Let the individual discern what's toxic on their own and they can filter at their own leisure.

Asking for it to be completey eradicated, is the wrong approach, and is oppressing somebody else's right to their freedom of expression.

Again to use homosexuality as a example, homophobia has been pretty much eradicated, just a few idiots who think a person who is in a same sex relationship has less value.

A phobia is a fear of someone or something. The days of people actually fearing homosexuality and/or behaviors is pretty much all but done away with. You want to know why? Because folks simply adopted the live and let live attitude towards it.

However, that STILL doesn't seem to be enough for the LGBT community!
It's almost as if the situation has been flipped over and the LGBT community has a heterophobia! Or maybe it's too much to be ignored now even though in being ignored, they just can't see the freedom that allows being who they are!

Why can't this be enough? What more is there to do?
Round up the last of the so-called homophobes and hang em from the nearest lamppost??

Believe me...you will have hard time finding them because nobody really gives a kick anymore.

Now, if only the LGBT community could realize that fact, they might have a more fulfilling life, instead of trying to force feed a problem on everyone else, where there's frankly hardly a problem at all.

You keep using the term eradicate...not good. There are more constructive terms that would benefit your position in a more positive way. It makes it sound like a war on people's minds, and folks don't like that. Especially, folks that really don't give a hoot one way or the other.
edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 11 Jul 2017 10:18:03 -05007amTuesdayth10am by EternalShadow because: add/correction

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Personally, I have no problem with LGBT. I come from Toronto, which is the most diverse city in the world, home to the largest LGBT community in the world, and is possibly the social progressive capital of the world, so I totally understand what it's all about.

But the opressive thought process - wilfully or otherwise - that he/she was exhibiting is a dangerous precedence to set, especially if you're claiming to want an open and honest discussion.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Not asking a personal question here, just trying to learn something. Generally speaking, at what age does reassignment surgery get Done?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I think the source (Time) did their readers a disservice with their title, which seems to have gone from "Being Transgender is not a Mental Disorder Study," to "Transgender Diagnosis Study: A Matter of Mental Health?" -- and neither is accurate. Contrary to the title, the study does not address the root causes of dysphoria, but rather the social effects of being a transgender person. Nor does it even address one's mental health, but rather one's emotional health. Even in terms of what the study did determine, let's just say, "Good job, Captain Obvious!" Of course bullying by others has a detrimental effect on one's emotional well being -- DUH!!!

Beyond that, I will simply say that people suffering from gender dysphoria deserve a helluvalot better than what they're getting from the booming transgender industry, which is victimizing a whole class of people at least as much as society in general.

God don't make no junk. Each and everyone of us is perfectly imperfect in our own special way, and I can't think of anything more cruel than to tell someone they aren't good enough just the way they are and that they have to make themselves chemically dependent for life -- or worse, chemically and/or surgically castrate themselves -- to be "okay."

We all deserve better than what we're getting.
edit on 11-7-2017 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

A phobia is a fear of someone or something. The days of people actually fearing homosexuality and/or behaviors is pretty much all but done away with.

AHHHH!!!

Again with you people and your pitiful mastery of the English language!

You seem to think that a word has its definition and that is that, yet if i look at any two dictionary's they will give two different definitions of homophobia, legal and academic definitions will also be different. when someone talks about homophobia they do not mean someone who fears homosexuals rather a individual who prejudiced against that group it is being use colloquially. You know exactly what I mean yet you try to hind behind definitions, it really annoys me and i suspect it is done because you might not like the fact that you yourself may fit that label of "homophobe".

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I understand, you don't have to share. But I do have a few questions if you're able to answer them.

Were you aware of a vagina at that age? Or did you just not feel comfortable in your own body?

Were you aware of transgenderism, or what it meant to be a boy or girl? Did you understand what "genders" meant?

And lastly, if it isn't too personal, did you yourself come to the conclusion, or did you have any external influences? And if so, at what age did you know for sure?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

Your

*you’re

talking about the eradication of speech

Why does the conversation always devolve to a discussion about “free speech”? Seriously. Why?

That is dangerous and oppressive

and we are the sensitive snowflakes lol..

You're not for free speech which is probably the reason people keep bringing it up.....or as you said always "devolving". That's why.
edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 11 Jul 2017 10:25:43 -05007amTuesdayth10am by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Speak freely..

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

A phobia is a fear of someone or something. The days of people actually fearing homosexuality and/or behaviors is pretty much all but done away with.

AHHHH!!!

Again with you people and your pitiful mastery of the English language!

You seem to think that a word has its definition and that is that, yet if i look at any two dictionary's they will give two different definitions of homophobia, legal and academic definitions will also be different. when someone talks about homophobia they do not mean someone who fears homosexuals rather a individual who prejudiced against that group it is being use colloquially. You know exactly what I mean yet you try to hind behind definitions, it really annoys me and i suspect it is done because you might not like the fact that you yourself may fit that label of "homophobe".

Gimme a break...LOL. Cherry pick and deflect all you want, you didn't address my point, just my grammar... lol. Real mature of you.

This was fun and certainly enlightening. You guys or gals take care.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join