It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Defence of Partisanship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I am talking about the segment that no longer identifies as Republican or Democrat in this country... There's no representation there.. Forty-two percent of the voter Bloc no longer identifies as Republican or Democrat

That's not disenfranchisement, though. Either way, fractioning the parties into more parties is division.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Hey I'll take a read. Anything to do with Goethe is up my ally. May I recommend his Maxims and Reflections.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

True enough. I have to say, I get the gist of what you're saying in your OP, and I don't even wholly disagree. If it were to become a one party system, it wouldn't bode well. It really wouldn't matter if it was the right, center or left.

With a loss of any opposition comes a loss of any kind of balance whatsoever. However, some would argue we've already lost balance, which I tend to agree. However, I suppose that's more a matter of perception. Shrug.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I agree with you 100%

People need to start thinking for themselves.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Although I agree with most of you points you seem to be drawing the conclusion that partisanship is the goal. To me, partisanship is the vehicle and the goal should be the truth. In any given political issue the truth may be on shifting sands and therefore never truly achievable. What most are decrying is mindless partisanship that is more like rooting for rivals in a sporting event than a search for the truth.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Partisan debate and political religion, in my opinion, are two different things.

I long for the days when a debate can be had without shouting, shooting, rioting, and looting.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Partisanship the way you describe it may sound nice, but that's not what we have. What we have is more like an artificial partisanship designed to keep us fighting each other rather than looking at who our true enemies are.

If we had true partisanship, the stances taken by the opposing sides wouldn't change according to who was in power. For example, when Democrats were in power, Republicans who saw Russia as the enemy were "Cold War relics." With Republicans in power, things have flip-flopped.

If we had true partisanship, we could support the side that would do what we wanted done. In 2008, which side do you support if you are opposed to the bank bailouts? How about if you wanted to bring home the troops from Afghanistan and Iraq? How about if you wanted to see the torture camp in Guantanamo Bay closed down? Do you think you'll ever see an Obamacare "fix" that won't result in more money for insurance companies?

Then there are issues where we don't even have a fake choice. You won't see partisan support on either side for auditing the Fed, much less getting rid of it. Neither side will consider cutting our massive defense spending to improve our infrastructure. While both sides pay lip service to the Constitution, neither side has a problem with ignoring it when convenient.

If you look at the Yin Yang symbol, you may see equally opposing sides of light and dark. But when you step back, you see it's all part of the same circle.

<< 1   >>

join