It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello fellow ATSers from abroad (not the United States)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: RomeByFire

At the end of the day, if Trump is genuine, the risk is definitely worth the reward, because like I said, if we are wrong about Trump, and (s)election is just an illusion, we all lose regardless.

So what is there really to lose? A bit of pride and ego? Pfft.

We said the same about GW Bush. Not only did he completely screw up the Middle East but he threw away a lot of American leverage. Look at the 2006 Israeli invasion of Lebanon, when nobody - not even the Israelis - would take him seriously; the State Department ended up watching the whole thing on TV. Look at the way China became the number one player in the developing world as well as buying up a huge chunk of American Treasury Bonds and flooding the west with cheap consumer goods that undermined western manufacturing.

We said the same about David Cameron here in the UK. We're only just starting to count the cost of his five year spree, starting with a massively inflated national debt, an economy bumping along the bottom with the lowest growth projections in the west, huge loss of international prestige and public services at breaking point.

The recent G20 showed us that Trump isn't likely to do any better than Bush or Cameron. What reward is worth this risk?

This is some very poor logic.. you compare him to Bush then went on to state a bunch of irrelevant points, and then did it again with Cameron.

Please tell me what exactly did he do at G20 to show you this?

And if I have to explain to you the risk-reward, there's really no point.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Culturally america has done great things for the world , its given the world alot of good things but has brought with it alot of nasty things

america is its own worst enemy

the people are lovely the government not so much , the ideals it stands for are of paramount importance
and should be the standard the world over , but unfortunately as others have said through absolute power comes corruption and
over time America will crumble unless of course the wonderful people revitalise the nation and bring it out of the depths of materialism and ego

with all that being said I still think America what it stands for is great
and what it gives in culture is great but then look at how they treat the world so Americans can live that dream
its not so great

we can chalk it up as another failed attempt at human utopia

keep on truckin though

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
I thought you were done with ATS, after complaining about the back and forth divisive rhetoric for that matter?? And yet, many of your own replies open with insults themselves, and you tend to end up right here in this forum that you have derided more than once. I guess flies are attracted to # huh? Is it fun to be a hypocrite on the internet ?

I'm sorry that I've hurt your feelings. I thought I had provided some nice words about America. It's the signal to noise ratio here in this thread that has me annoyed. I made that quite clear as well. Nothing hypocritical about asking Keyboard Kommandos to stick to the topic.

As to what drew me to the thread, it was not your #, it was the title "Hello fellow ATSers from abroad (not the United States)".
But once again, my apologies if that has made you feel bad.

edit on 11-7-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: yes

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
thank you for all the abroaders who participated in this thread. Maybe the percentage on ATS is more than I thought.

I know each person has a background story and opinion that sways one way or the other but there IS a trend...America is a pompous b*tch! Something I already speculated.

America IS great, but we are not without faults. Trump i feel pulls us backwards in keeping up with the big dogs.

Thanks again for all of your input.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
My 2 cents...

Most of my lifetime I was mad at the US...playing the world police and all...

During that time I have come to reject the left ideology that is prevalent in EU today...first time in a long long time...I started cheering for the US.

And mostly..because you stood up against the corrupt media...and because you chose a "wild" president. For better or for worse...things will shake up no doubt.

At least there finally really is...change in the works.

Oh how i wish it were "wild" in a good way

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll
Growing up in the UK, the mention of 'America' conjured up images of glamorous movie stars, impressive sky-scrapers, big fancy gas-guzzling cars, a confident and protective military might, space rockets and astronauts, ELVIS, and an affluent society where everyone benefitted from their own efforts at work no matter what that job was, and opportunities for all. America was on the world's pedestal and the rest of us looked up to it with envy.

After JFK it all went tits-up.

It's the corruption and the warmongering and the deceit and lies and cover-ups by wealthy bent politicians that are destroying all that is wonderful about America.

Today, thanks to the criminal politicians, America is viewed as the heart of corruption.

JMO.

I dont understand why we can say it over and over...criminal politicians...big money...greed...taking over America...but people still vote these demons in anyway.

Perhaps we need more of a bench to choose from.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

a reply to: veracity

Has anyone mentioned the way Americans know what's happening in the UK better than the Brits do?

Its a proven fact that visiting shonky websites gives you a better insight into British life than actually living it.

So, while we Londoners think Sadiq Khan is a liberal London boy made good who addresses the Pride parade, yanks know he's a Muslim extremist just waiting to introduce Sharia.

We think that we have a very low homicide rate compared to the US but the yanks know we are very vulnerable.

We think we are more likely to be hit by a bus than attacked by a terrorist - particularly us oldies who remember the daily IRA attacks in the seventies - but yanks know there are hundreds of thousands of heavily armed jihadis around every British corner.

And so on...

Luckily, there are many many Americans who are passionate about showing us the reality of our own lives!

I dont doubt that there are Americans out there that think they know it ALL. I like to call them trump supporters...they are also the ones who do not care what other countries think about us. Its easy to spot them.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Just curious, but now that we've established that America sucks, blahblhblah, what is the most perfect country?

What is the ideal country with the ideal laws, ideal weather, ideal citizens, ideal way to approach war, ideal history?

Because I want to move there, if they'll have me.

Pointing out our flaws does not mean that we "suck".

Its good to know in the back of our minds what we probably need to work on and as citizens of the US...vote in favor of fixing these flaws.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

^ This is exactly why you US-Americans are so "loved" by the world.
Yes, I should stop using sarcasm, but it was just so worth it.

Nobody loves a BULLY.

If it were up to me, I'd cut you all loose and let you stand on your own two feet for a change.

I wonder how long it would be before your country becomes Ukanistan?

1 year? 2 tops?

Please dont cut us loose, we need you.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: veracity
I am just gathering some info for my own personal agenda on how other countries view the United States.

I would like to know where you believe we stand compared to other countries on political issues such as climate change and immigration issues. Feel free to discuss anything actually, religion, G20...anything.

I would also like to know your views on America as a nation and how Donald Trump has either changed these views for the better, worse or no change at all.

I know there is a low percentage of abroad ATSers on this board so Im hoping to gather all opinions in one place for a great discussion.

Thank you.

So...eight pages in and your confreres have walked all over the conversation, telling those of whom you asked their opinions just how totally insignificant they and their thoughts are.
I guess my question is, what have you learned? Have you gained any new perspective, based not upon the international response but from the unbidden one? I would venture to guess that a lot of your ' abroad ATSers' are going 'Uh Huh' at this point.

yeah, its pretty embarrassing that some of my fellow Americans prove in their posts that they think they know it all and bash intelligent conversation. It brings into the spotlight in a sense WHY we are viewed so lowly.

Please know, we are not all like that. In fact, they are a small minority...just unfortunately also the loudest

edit on 11-7-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Has anyone mentioned the way Americans know what's happening in the UK better than the Brits do?

Its a proven fact that visiting shonky websites gives you a better insight into British life than actually living it.

So, while we Londoners think Sadiq Khan is a liberal London boy made good who addresses the Pride parade, yanks know he's a Muslim extremist just waiting to introduce Sharia.

We think that we have a very low homicide rate compared to the US but the yanks know we are very vulnerable.

We think we are more likely to be hit by a bus than attacked by a terrorist - particularly us oldies who remember the daily IRA attacks in the seventies - but yanks know there are hundreds of thousands of heavily armed jihadis around every British corner.

And so on...

Luckily, there are many many Americans who are passionate about showing us the reality of our own lives!

I dont doubt that there are Americans out there that think they know it ALL. I like to call them trump supporters...they are also the ones who do not care what other countries think about us. Its easy to spot them.

Now I clearly see the partisan reasons for you starting this thread. You have no idea how many Canadians are rooting for Trump to have success in his leadership. He may be considered " wild" to some , but he's the best kind of wild I've yet to see.

You have no idea how many Canadians would trade Trudeau for him in a heartbeat. Trudeau is destroying Canada and Canadian values and selling it off to the highest bidders.

Nice try on trying to make it seem outsiders think America is crap as well as its leader. ATS is only a small spectrum of people.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Whats your problem.

I said my peace. Accept or ignore

The OP cant set rules. You and him should start your own website.

Its ok, i expected and actually wanted ignorant blatherings in this thread to prove my point that we can point out the jerk boneheads very easily.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

And so on...

Now I clearly see the partisan reasons for you starting this thread. You have no idea how many Canadians are rooting for Trump to have success in his leadership. He may be considered " wild" to some , but he's the best kind of wild I've yet to see.

You have no idea how many Canadians would trade Trudeau for him in a heartbeat. Trudeau is destroying Canada and Canadian values and selling it off to the highest bidders.

Nice try on trying to make it seem outsiders think America is crap as well as its leader. ATS is only a small spectrum of people.

im sure there are lots and lots and lots, probably everyone you know...in your friendship circle.

OH how i wish we could trade for Trudeau...

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

yeah, its pretty embarrassing that some of my fellow Americans prove in their posts that they think they know it all and bash intelligent conversation. It brings into the spotlight in a sense WHY we are viewed so lowly.
Please know, we are not all like that. In fact, they are a small minority...just unfortunately also the loudest

Hey, I always like going to the states...and I always like coming home. I like Americans. I was in St. Pete's on Inauguration Day. Did I sit around and loudly proclaim over my gator nuggets that Trump is an oaf? No...I like to be a respectful guest. I entertained visitors from Virginia recently, and I suspected that they were Republicans...did we talk about politics? Well I didn't bring it up but they were very curious our health care system. Civil discourse is possible.

Don't feel too embarrassed by what you find in the mud pit...lay with dogs and you're gonna get fleas. I came for the thread...not the ritual hurling of the feces. But there ya go, eh?

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

And so on...

im sure there are lots and lots and lots, probably everyone you know...in your friendship circle.

Actually not in my friendship circle , but many on twitter who see him as a good thing. You want Trudeau... please take the child and his stinky socks.. and his government payouts to terrorist criminals.

The fact that you would take Trudeau over Trump shows how much you don't care about your own country. I care about the future of Canadians and that is why many of us want Trudeau gone badly.... so we'll send him and his stinky socks to live with you.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I am in a deep red state and have many republican friends that I fully respect and admire. Republicans are not really the issue today...its the extreme right trump supporter that identifies as republican. The are, and i quote Hilary...deplorable.

I like how they ask you about your health care system. Im glad they are intuitive enough to even ask.
I imagine you are a musician and are the token "Canadian" when you play in America and after the show they ask about the token political subject of canada - healthcare for small talk?

I could swimmingly get along with a group of republicans, I would not want to talk about politics but good thing there are many other subjects to talk about. I can respect respectable people...it doesnt matter what their views are.

The only time i engage with disrespectful people are on forum boards like this one. In person I am sure to keep them at bay and if I ever do come into contact with one...Its easy to just walk away.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

And so on...

Actually not in my friendship circle , but many on twitter who see him as a good thing. You want Trudeau... please take the child and his stinky socks.. and his government payouts to terrorist criminals.

The fact that you would take Trudeau over Trump shows how much you don't care about your own country. I care about the future of Canadians and that is why many of us want Trudeau gone badly.... so we'll send him and his stinky socks to live with you.

you mean your like-minded twitter friends?

OK, give me Trudeau and his stinky socks but keep your sweeping judgment about me not caring about my country.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

And so on...

you mean your like-minded twitter friends?
OK, give me Trudeau and his stinky socks but keep your sweeping judgment about me not caring about my country.

We have them too, eh? LOL

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Whats your problem.

Its ok, i expected and actually wanted ignorant blatherings in this thread to prove my point that we can point out the jerk boneheads very easily.

So you admit that this thread was just started for " ignorant blatherings" and not at all for actually wanting to know and respecting how people viewed the US.

Says more about you and your sick motivation than it does about what you perceive as ignorance.
Then you wonder why libs aren't trusted... how sad for you ... tsk tsk.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Whats your problem.

So you admit that this thread was just started for " ignorant blatherings" and not at all for actually wanting to know and respecting how people viewed the US.

Says more about you and your sick motivation than it does about what you perceive as ignorance.
Then you wonder why libs aren't trusted... how sad for you ... tsk tsk.

did i make a thread just for you guys to be miserable in? NO

did i expect it to happen? Yes

and its welcomed on this anonymous message board bc it coincides with why America is viewed so negatively.

thanks for your participation.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join