It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NBA is full of stubborn idiots..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Ok I just found out the most insane little tidbit about the NBA..

Here is the episode that goes over it all: itunes.apple.com...

Everyone knows what a free throw is.. whenever a player gets fouled he gets to take a couple free throw shots from the line.

This is a very central part of the game, as the better you are , the more you are fouled and the more free throws you end up taking.

Well countless EXTREMELY talented players have trouble with free throws..

In fact most of the best have..

Wilt chamberlain, Shaq, exc..

Well here is the kicker... they are all doing it wrong..

Appearently shooting a free throw under handed is literally twice as likely to be successful and none of them do it because "it makes them feel like sissies.."

Isn't that nuts...

People who's only short comming in the sport is free throws.. still continue being bad at free throws, because they don't want to change to a way that people view as "sissified!"

And the data is unquestionable..

Every person who is in the record books for free throw percentage, shot underhanded..

Mathematically comming at the rim from the top gives you way more margin of era than an over hand shot straight at the rim.

This is not a secret..

They all know this and still keep doing it wrong..

Wilt chamberlain shot a 40% free throw rate for all his early career , which is horrible.. then for 3 seasons he swapped to underhand shots. During those three seasons his success rate literally doubled to 80%.. then he went back to overhand shooting and right back down to 40%.. AND NEVER CHANGED BACK!!!

I can KINDA understand the superstars who decide not to shoot underhanded, their jobs are not really in question so they can afford to be stubborn, but how many guys are on the bubble who don't??

How many people would have made the team if they shot better free throws???

How many people would be in the hall of fame if they had shot free throws better?!?!

Honestly this says something even bigger about humanity..

You would think the best ideas would rise to the top and take over, but appearently that is not always the case.. at all..

edit on 10-7-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Nothing beats proper footing, perfect form and over hand follow through with one hand.

LOL maybe Shaq should have tried underhand though, he tried everything else!

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

WOW, interesting!!! LOL....I guess we do let our egos get the best of us.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Mikehawk

No it isn't close..

Everyone on the list of best free throw percentage shot underhanded..

Wilt chamberlain even freely admitted that's the better way to do it "I just felt like a sissy when I did."

It's not even close.. all the stats and math say that is the more efficient way to shoot free throws.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

The main guy who didn't was considered the most hated guy in the NBA..

"Half the league didn't like him, the other half hated him.."

He was appearently so ubber competitive that he rubbed people the wrong way, and literally had some psychological switch where he literally didn't care what others thought..

He cared about winning and screw the rest.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

PS this is only concerning free throws. The rest of the shots are better over hand.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I agree that underhand free throws are easier to make.
But.....
These nba players are all about the image they sell.
Nobody buying air Jordan's gives a damn what his free throw percentage was, they only care about the image of the player.

Image, image, image.

Baseball is the same way, swing for the fences to get your 50 home runs. Doesn't matter you strike out 200 times.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I always heard as long as your winning no one cares..
and like I said in the OP the superstars have to worry about image..

What about those on the bubble???

What about those where an 80% free throw percentage means they make the team???

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

A players free throw percentage is rarely a factor in his playing time. When you only play 4 minutes a game the higher free throw percentage would only make maybe a 1 point difference. Playing great defense of ball handling is of greater value.

Again I'll use baseball as an example. Nobody is kept on the team because they can bunt. They better have other skills that will be needed more often. The bunt would be way down the list of important skills.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I disagree..

A bad free throw shooter cannot be allowed in the end of a close game..

A good player who can't shoit free throws just gets fouled..

A great free throw shooter is invaluable in a clutch situation, where a bad free throw shooter is useless... or worse than useless counterproductive.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Did you know the guy with the most free throws last season took 881 attempts lol..

Almost a thousand points "doesn't matter that much?!?!"

Lol

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I agree that it's a skill that is overlooked. But I also know that the nba finals was 5 games long and the closest game was a five point win. Every other game was a 9+ margin of victory. Free throws were not a factor.
Until that changes, image will be more important.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

So? Throwing a baseball underhanded or lobbing it like a softball is better for your arm. People do what they are going to do. I would agree with you if you bringing up something like the NFL not accepting medical marijuana and pushing pain pills instead, but this is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Did you know the guy with the most free throws last season took 881 attempts lol..

Almost a thousand points "doesn't matter that much?!?!"

Lol

He also hit 85% shooting over handed.
One of his strengths is free throw shooting so he tries to get fouled.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

PS this is only concerning free throws. The rest of the shots are better over hand.

My response was in response to free throws, as this is what your OP is about.

Is it not?

An underhand shot attempt with someone guarding you wouldn't work too well lol.
edit on 10-7-2017 by Mikehawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Again I'll use baseball as an example. Nobody is kept on the team because they can bunt. They better have other skills that will be needed more often. The bunt would be way down the list of important skills.

I don't know much about basketball but don't overlook the bunt! It has and will continue to be a game changer. Some games are won and loss by 1 run and moving a runner into scoring position can make the difference. NL pitchers are great bunters for this very reason. Though, I agree a player probably wouldn't be traded or signed because of his bunt skills but it definitely can be a game changing factor.

And some of the best hitters just can't do it

edit on 10-7-2017 by FauxMulder because: foul ball

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Clearly you're not a basketball fan.

I can name a bunch players from the top of my head that have over a 90% freethrow for their career, shooting regular form.

Ray Allen
John Stockton
Kevin Durant
Stephen Curry
Jose Calderon
Steve Nash
Dirk nowitski
Chauncy billups
Larry bird

These are from the top of my head, and there are thousands of players that shoot between 80-90%

Stop with this.

ETA: btw you used 2 of the notoriously worst free throw shooters in history to make your argument. Shaq and Wilt. Lmao..

edit on 10-7-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Shaq's legacy is great but it would be even greater had he been able to make FT's. The traditional over hand shot for him did not work well because I believe he was never trained to shoot anywhere outside of 7 feet. He was always bigger and stronger so he just overpowered everyone. Also shooting a basketball is probably like me shooting with a softball. Very awkward.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Well. The guy who is has the free throw record made a convincing case for it. I put a link in the op

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The league average for freethrow I think is about 77% IIRC. There are many great free throw shooters.

Using the 2 worst shooters in HISTORY for an argument is not fair.

It's fine if you don't like basketball, but your title is just dumb. It has nothing to do with being stubborn or being sissies, they use their regular shooting form to stay consistent with their shot when they aren't at the line. It's called muscle memory and basketball is a lot more than a freethrow shot.

This thread is so much ignorant. Sorry.

edit on 10-7-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join