It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comey Memo's Contained Classified Info

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It's beginning to make a bit more sense as to why Comey let Hillary off the hook... He is incompetent has no understanding of the protection of classified information or of the law.

Either that or he feels he is above the law, which would also explain why he came to his conclusions about Hillary.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Krakatoa

The information he gained from within the meeting was in his head. HE decided to transfer that information from his memory to a written form. Once that is done, regardless of his location at transcription, is the property of the FBI.

I don't think his observations and personal notes on concerning behavior of the president belongs to the FBI. IF he kept a journal of his feelings about his FBI adventures and his colleagues, would that be FBI property too? These memos weren't official FBI documents, in my opinion.

Period.
No argument.
That is the law.

That is rarely the case. We'll just have to agree to disagree and see how this pans out.

Any recollection of that kind related to those type of meetings need to be vetted first to determine of there is anything that is classified FIRST, before being released as unclassified. If I did that with information and impressions of meetings I have been in without them being vetted would result in me being in jail and losing my clearance.

But then, I am a simple cog in that machine so I don't get special dispensation for being "reckless".

Comey was THE classifying authority for classified information at the FBI. Unless something was classified by another agency he holds the keys to the castle on classification of information at the FBI. He would have the authority to vet his own documents.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Allow me to bold my own emphasis:

includes all recorded information, regardless of form or characteristics, made or received by a Federal agency under Federal law or in connection with the transaction of public business and preserved or appropriate for preservation by that agency or its legitimate successor as evidence of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the United States Government or because of the informational value of data in them; and
(B) does not include—

Comey's notes were not a requirement of his duties under federal law. They didn't reflect a transaction of public business. They weren't required to be preserved. There existence wasn't required to even be reported. They served no evidence as to the policies, functions etc., of the FBI.

His official meeting with the President of the United States WAS a transaction of public business. By definition, the FBI is a public entity....and he was on official business as a representative of that public entity.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

includes all recorded information, regardless of form or characteristics, made or received by a Federal agency under Federal law or in connection with the transaction of public business and preserved or appropriate for preservation by that agency or its legitimate successor as evidence of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the United States Government or because of the informational value of data in them; and
(B) does not include—

Comey's notes were not a requirement of his duties under federal law. They didn't reflect a transaction of public business. They weren't required to be preserved. There existence wasn't required to even be reported. They served no evidence as to the policies, functions etc., of the FBI.

His official meeting with the President of the United States WAS a transaction of public business. By definition, the FBI is a public entity....and he was on official business as a representative of that public entity.

A private dinner with the president is an official meeting?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

The information he gained from within the meeting was in his head. HE decided to transfer that information from his memory to a written form. Once that is done, regardless of his location at transcription, is the property of the FBI.

I don't think his observations and personal notes on concerning behavior of the president belongs to the FBI. IF he kept a journal of his feelings about his FBI adventures and his colleagues, would that be FBI property too? These memos weren't official FBI documents, in my opinion.

Period.
No argument.
That is the law.

That is rarely the case. We'll just have to agree to disagree and see how this pans out.

Any recollection of that kind related to those type of meetings need to be vetted first to determine of there is anything that is classified FIRST, before being released as unclassified. If I did that with information and impressions of meetings I have been in without them being vetted would result in me being in jail and losing my clearance.

But then, I am a simple cog in that machine so I don't get special dispensation for being "reckless".

Comey was THE classifying authority for classified information at the FBI. Unless something was classified by another agency he holds the keys to the castle on classification of information at the FBI. He would have the authority to vet his own documents.

If that is true, then if these memos are reviewed and later determined contain classified information, then he was incompetent in his duties in that role. Therefore, his firing was justified.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

(B) does not include—

A private dinner with the president is an official meeting?

As far as I understand it, this meeting was not part of a private dinner. Official business was not being transacted at that dinner by multiple people.

ETA: There was one small conversation that was at a private dinner. Comey testified that:

In another conversation, which took place during a January dinner at the White House, Comey confirms that the president asked him for his loyalty.
"I need loyalty. I expect loyalty," Trump said, according to Comey

Source: Comey details Trump meetings in opening statement
But that conversation is not the topic if this discussion nor the accusations being investigated, is it? Nice try at deflection and minimization, but the facts contradict your prior statement.

edit on 7/10/2017 by Krakatoa because: Corrected a logical fault and added source quote

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Period.
No argument.
That is the law.

If that is true, then if these memos are reviewed and later determined contain classified information, then he was incompetent in his duties in that role. Therefore, his firing was justified.

Maybe you should stop because you dont know how classification works.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

His official meeting with the President of the United States WAS a transaction of public business.

Really? You think the President of the United States asking the Director of the FBI for a personal favor regarding an investigation he's doing on his friend was "public business"? I think the president would disagree. Asking the Director of the FBI for his personal loyalty also wasn't "public business" either.

But it's all public business now, and even though they're classified, they must be preserved.
edit on 10-7-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I think people are not grasping the fact that public officials can and do, quite often, talk or publish their personal recollections of events that occurred while they are in high power positions, after they leave office.

The memos Comey gave to the FBI/Mueller may have been classified, but the personal memo Comey gave to his friend may have been perfectly legal.

Just like a politician that publishes a book after they leave office, Comey has released his personal recollections which do not contain classified info.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Ask general patreus about those recollections.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

His official meeting with the President of the United States WAS a transaction of public business.

Really? You think the President of the United States asking the Director of the FBI for a personal favor regarding an investigation he's doing on his friend was "public business"? I think the president would disagree. Asking the Director of the FBI for his personal loyalty also wasn't "public business" either.

But it's all public business now, and even though they're classified, they must be preserved.

As I quoted earlier, the request for loyalty cane during a private dinner, So that one line is a private recollection on his part. No need to classify it. The others, however, we cannot say the same for at all. Until the memos are reviewed and determined/sanitized publicly viable, then they can be released for public scrutiny.

Until that time, I agree with you we are simply all guessing and will have to wait for it to all come out.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I think people are not grasping the fact that public officials can and do, quite often, talk or publish their personal recollections of events that occurred while they are in high power positions, after they leave office.

The memos Comey gave to the FBI/Mueller may have been classified, but the personal memo Comey gave to his friend may have been perfectly legal.

Just like a politician that publishes a book after they leave office, Comey has released his personal recollections which do not contain classified info.

And just like in those cases, the Feds get to look at the draft manuscripts before they are published to ensure no classified information is released. When the Feds are satisfied, and have redacted anything they see fit to censor, then they get the green light to publish.

That did not happen in this case, did it?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

When Comey hides classified info, sends it to his mistress, and then lies about it, I will be more then happy to ask Patreus.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

And just like in those cases, the Feds get to look at the draft manuscripts before they are published to ensure no classified information is released. When the Feds are satisfied, and have redacted anything they see fit to censor, then they get the green light to publish.

That did not happen in this case, did it?

Comey was the FEDS at the time. He was the classification authority at the FBI. He could, unless otherwise prevented by law or other agencies classified material, do what he wanted with FBI documents. So even IF the documents where government documents Comey had the authority to release them as he saw fit.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Perhaps you misunderstand how classifications work? It is not the media that gets classified, but the content.

Right. Comey testified that he deliberately wrote the memos, being sure that no items of a classified nature were included . His memos were only about his observations and concerns about Pres Trump's behavior, he testified.

If we believe that, then the Comey had no reason to believe that the content of the memos should be considered classified. As Director of the FBI, he would have authority to use his discretion on such matters, not the press.' discretion, HIS.

Also, during the HRC email scandal we learned that lots of government officials use personal email accounts. Condoleeza Rice and so did Collin Powell. There's no reason to assume that Comey couldn't legal have sent an email, he authored, to himself. On a personal note, my daughter hasn't work for UCLA for 10 years, yet she still uses her .edu address. They never disconnect those things! LOL

By removing the media, he broke the law by taking something that did not belong to him.....it belonged to the FBI.

His recounting of the content is irrelevant IMO. Merely hearsay until such time as the special prosecutor (or commission) reviews the content to determine if the topics and words were classified at the time of the meeting. If they deem that the content was classified, then he is also guilty of leaking classified information.

As I said before, he broke the law, it is still to be determined how deep a hole he has dug himself into here.

Can he be charged with stealing federal property?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Either that or he feels he is above the law, which would also explain why he came to his conclusions about Hillary.

Comey reminds me of this janitor (Mr. Pailvich) when I was in High School. Because he had a key to every door in the building, he acted like he owned the place. A real jerk.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Comey could be in big trouble, maybe he should get over to a country with no extradition process with the US.

The Columbia University Law School professor and confidant of former FBI Director James Comey refuted a charge by President Donald Trump and his advocates in the media Monday: that Comey shared classified information with journalists.

Daniel Richman, with whom Comey shared at least one memo -- the contents of which Richman shared with New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt -- said President Trump was simply wrong.
"No memo was given to me that was marked 'classified,'" Daniel Richman told CNN. "No memo was passed on to the Times."
www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

He did all of those things.
He removed classified info and government documents.
Sent it to his buddy.
And lied about having classified info under oath.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Sigh - I am no lawyer and yet I even get what your saying as valid.....I think some people will argue - meh I cant even understand why its gone for so many pages - the very act of creating the record as per the definition creates an official document. Even here in Australia its pretty well cut as to the Legislation for record keeping. Interesting times.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: RuffNick
a reply to: carewemust

Comey could be in big trouble, maybe he should get over to a country with no extradition process with the US.

The Columbia University Law School professor and confidant of former FBI Director James Comey refuted a charge by President Donald Trump and his advocates in the media Monday: that Comey shared classified information with journalists.

Daniel Richman, with whom Comey shared at least one memo -- the contents of which Richman shared with New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt -- said President Trump was simply wrong.
"No memo was given to me that was marked 'classified,'" Daniel Richman told CNN. "No memo was passed on to the Times."
www.cnn.com...

Apparently, the law school professor's statement holds no water here on ATS. I posted it a couple pages back, but it was ignored.

There's something underhanded about the entire Comey memo thing. It's weird that even the Senate Intelligence Committee has not been allowed to see them. Perhaps the memos were doctored, or fabricated after the fact somehow. It's easier to find an honest politician, than it is Comey's memos.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join