It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comey Memo's Contained Classified Info

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Read the OP link like everyone else did.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I distinctly remember Comey explain, in his oral testimony, that after the meeting, he sat in his car and typed the memo out on his computer. Maybe he emailed them, I think he probably emailed them to himself, then CCed interested parties. The thing is, I don't believe that they were tangible items, taken from the property. They probably existed in cyberspace.

edit on 10-7-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
Classified information DOES NOT fall under the whistle blower act. You agree to that when you sign your forms to get your clearance.

Do you have a citation for that assertion? I'd have to do some digging, but I doubt that's true. Besides, the contents of the memos were designated classified after the fact. At the time, he wasn't transmitting classified information.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I distinctly remember Comey explain, in his oral testimony, that after the meeting, he sat in his car and typed the memo out on his computer. Maybe he emailed them, I think he probably emailed them to himself, then CC interested parties. .The thing is, I don't believe that they were tangible items, taken from the property. They probably exited in cyberspace.

On the FBI provided laptop or his own?
In an FBI official vehicle or his own?
To his official FBI email address or his personal one?
Using an FBI provided Internet connection or his pwn personal account?

If he used FBI resources on any one of those items, he broke the law.
If he used any one of his personal resources, then he could have violated national security depending upon the content of the notes. If the content contained topics and words that were considered classified at the time of the meeting, then he leaked classified information....period.

See either way, he seems to have broken the law. The question now is how much was broken, and how deep is this hole he has dug for himself.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Using an FBI provided Internet connection or his pwn personal account

Official FBI all the way, as I remember. But, as head of the FBI, at the time, he had authority to use his discretion if he emailed them to a non-government personal email to himself. But, since they were his notes, sent to others at his professional discretion and the memos weren't classified at the time, I doubt he actually broke the law.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Official FBI all the way, as I remember. But, as head of the FBI, at the time, he had authority to use his discretion if he emailed them to a non-government personal email to himself. But, since they were his notes, sent to others at his professional discretion and the memos weren't classified at the time, I doubt he actually broke the law.

Ugh, not this moronic ASSumption again. They are classified at origination.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

a reply to: yuppa

Right, that's why the DOJ appointed a "Special Prosecuter".

Better read up...all he can be is “impeached” until out of office...

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

LOL

“Impeached” because he has been convicted of High Crimes and/or Misdemeanors by Congress!

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Perhaps you misunderstand how classifications work? It is not the media that gets classified, but the content. If the content, at the time of the meeting was already deemed and declared a classified topic, then not matter where or when it was recorded, it remains classified as a topic. The media it is on is irrelevant. Try not to focus so much on the medium, but the content and when the content itself was classified.

Does that help explain it a bit more?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Again, better read up. Cannot legally transmit or receive classified marerial on ANY machine not designated to send/receive it. There is no discretion...it is Federal law, and I would hope the FBI Director would know that. I held a security clearance for almost 40 years, until it was no longer necessary to have one for the my position (different job).

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
Classified information DOES NOT fall under the whistle blower act. You agree to that when you sign your forms to get your clearance.

Do you have a citation for that assertion? I'd have to do some digging, but I doubt that's true. Besides, the contents of the memos were designated classified after the fact. At the time, he wasn't transmitting classified information.

and

Protecting Whistleblowers with Access to Classified Information(direct .pdf link)

Did Comey's 'friend' possess the necessary clearance and have the requisite 'need to know' in regards to this information?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Which allegations exactly?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Perhaps you misunderstand how classifications work? It is not the media that gets classified, but the content.

Right. Comey testified that he deliberately wrote the memos, being sure that no items of a classified nature were included . His memos were only about his observations and concerns about Pres Trump's behavior, he testified.

If we believe that, then the Comey had no reason to believe that the content of the memos should be considered classified. As Director of the FBI, he would have authority to use his discretion on such matters, not the press.' discretion, HIS.

Also, during the HRC email scandal we learned that lots of government officials use personal email accounts. Condoleeza Rice and so did Collin Powell. There's no reason to assume that Comey couldn't legal have sent an email, he authored, to himself. On a personal note, my daughter hasn't work for UCLA for 10 years, yet she still uses her .edu address. They never disconnect those things! LOL

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Perhaps you misunderstand how classifications work? It is not the media that gets classified, but the content.

Right. Comey testified that he deliberately wrote the memos, being sure that no items of a classified nature were included . His memos were only about his observations and concerns about Pres Trump's behavior, he testified.

If we believe that, then the Comey had no reason to believe that the content of the memos should be considered classified. As Director of the FBI, he would have authority to use his discretion on such matters, not the press.' discretion, HIS.

Also, during the HRC email scandal we learned that lots of government officials use personal email accounts. Condoleeza Rice and so did Collin Powell. There's no reason to assume that Comey couldn't legal have sent an email, he authored, to himself. On a personal note, my daughter hasn't work for UCLA for 10 years, yet she still uses her .edu address. They never disconnect those things! LOL

By removing the media, he broke the law by taking something that did not belong to him.....it belonged to the FBI.

His recounting of the content is irrelevant IMO. Merely hearsay until such time as the special prosecutor (or commission) reviews the content to determine if the topics and words were classified at the time of the meeting. If they deem that the content was classified, then he is also guilty of leaking classified information.

As I said before, he broke the law, it is still to be determined how deep a hole he has dug himself into here.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I think that when Comey said that he sent copies of his memos to FBI departments heads as well as the heads of the CIA and the NSA, maybe others IDK, was an act of "protection". I believe Comey's motive was to defend the Constitution and protect the integrity of the FBI and the Intel community. That's my personal opinion.

Again, the memos were not classified at the time. They were retroactively classified, to keep the integrity of the investigation, and keep them out of reach of the prying press and the impressionable public, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

By removing the media, he broke the law by taking something that did not belong to him.....it belonged to the FBI.

I'm not convinced that that's true. IF they were formal forms that needed to filled out, then yeah. But these were personal notes to himself, noting oddities in his conversation with the president that he felt needed to be documented. I think they fall under whistle blower protection.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

There is no 'retroactivly classified.' Just the facts, no opinion necessary.

And, you seem to want to leave this out

"It is unlawful to disclose classified information to any unauthorized entity (for eample, the media, non government organizations), even if the information is not marked classified."

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I'm not convinced that that's true. IF they were formal forms that needed to filled out, then yeah. But these were personal notes to himself, noting oddities in his conversation with the president that he felt needed to be documented. I think they fall under whistle blower protection.

Taken during an official meeting with the President of the United States in an official setting. Any and all notes about that meeting would be considered property of the department, not himself. That is the price of that position. I will repeat, if this was at some personal dinner or golf outing with the President of the United States, in an unofficial venue, then you would be correct.

It....was...not.

Accept that as fact.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I think that when Comey said that he sent copies of his memos to FBI departments heads as well as the heads of the CIA and the NSA, maybe others IDK, was an act of "protection".
...... SNIP ........

No...just no. This means you are obligated to protect the INFORMATION not yourself.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The hoops people are jumping through to prove Trump right would be fun if not so sad.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join