It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comey Memo's Contained Classified Info

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: windword

What? Not even a slap on wrist if found guilty of High Crimes and Misdemeanors. Why did Ford need to pardon Nixon?

To prevent further prosecution.
And perhaps to cover his own ass and the others not joining nixon in resigning.

Nixon's resignation protected the dignity of the Oval Office. It didn't protect him against prosecution for his crimes.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
So, his handwritten memo's contained confidential information,
He admitted to giving 1 of these memo's to a friend to leak

call me ignorant but, as director of the FBI investigating crimes of confidential information wouldn't it seem fair that he'd have hand written notes of this info?

Also, he gave 1 memo to his friend to leak, any proof this had confidential info on it?

Seems like nothing much will come of this.

Precisely,
It is pretty routine for classified information to be leaked, (as in stamped) or even released to foreign agents/government..as Trump liked to point out when he did it himself. This is just another one sided assessment from, The Hill' to create more frivolity as a way of demonising anything other than a Republican way of doing things, which in fact has been shown to be just the same. More hypocritical rubbish in our forums.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: shooterbrody

That doesn't preclude the motive of retaliation. Comey is protected under federal Whistle Blower protections, I'm sure.

You are wrong.
There are procedures whistle blowers have to use to get protections.
Leaking memos to get special prosecutors in service is not covered as a protected class.
You are not only wrong you have done no research and are ill informed.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

You are correct the resignation spared the country the full impeachment process.

Fords pardon protected him from prosecution. As would his own pardon if he were to write one before resigning.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

So the head of the FBI leaking secrets presents no issues for you...

Even though he did it for political reasons and, rather than actually have the courage of his convictions, sent it to a "friend"...

Even though the same guy created a precedent and redefined the words gross negligence which allowed the decision to not prosecute Clinton to be made...

The same guy who allowed himself to be told exactly how to define a case by Lynch...

None of this is a problem because...?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

As would his own pardon if he were to write one before resigning.

"He shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.". "except in cases of impeachment" is critical in this case. because he can pardon anyone else but himself.
www.quora.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Fords pardon protected him from prosecution. As would his own pardon if he were to write one before resigning.

What the... Why would you think that Trump would be allowed to pardon himself?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

As would his own pardon if he were to write one before resigning.

"He shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.". "except in cases of impeachment" is critical in this case. because he can pardon anyone else but himself.
www.quora.com...

This just means he can't stop impeachment proceedings against anyone.
Whether he or any President can pardon themselves is debatable

Undoubtedly it would be challenged in court, but it is feasible that Trump could pardon himself and all those around him for any federal crime they had ever committed - even those where no indictments had yet been brought.

That said - there isn't going to be an impeachment and there is no evidence of any crime committed, so it's all speculative anyway.
edit on 10/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

What the... Why would you think that Trump would be allowed to pardon himself?

Because technically he could - even for federal crimes no one knows about or where charges had yet to be brought. He could even just pardon himself for ALL or ANY federal crimes. Not that he will need to of course.

Discussion here:
foreignpolicy.com...
edit on 10/7/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Your link is behind a pay wall. Though I can easily find a news article that claims he can't pardon himself or if he tried no one would consider it legally valid.
Trump pardon
edit on 10-7-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

LOL If Trump tries to pardon himself, he will be lynched in the streets by the American People. There will be no place for him to hide. His best bet would be to wait for President Pence to pardon him.

edit on 10-7-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Your link is behind a pay wall. Though I can easily find a news article that claims he can't pardon himself or if he tried no one would consider it legally valid.
Trump pardon

I read up on this very issue back when people were concerned Hillary could pardon herself if she won.

If a president were to pardon themselves it would be unprecedented and it appears the consensus in the legal community is that pardon would be thrown out.

The president cannot be on both sides of the pardon and there has to be a degree of separation.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I seriously can't believe Trump's supporters are floating this idea like it is a sane one. Yeah pardoning yourself of a crime you are under investigation for doesn't make you look incredibly guilty or anything.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I seriously can't believe Trump's supporters are floating this idea like it is a sane one. Yeah pardoning yourself of a crime you are under investigation for doesn't make you look incredibly guilty or anything.

I would say that pardoning one's self would be the epitome of political corruption.

Hard to think why we would want our elected officials to do such a thing.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Does it really matter, yall are tilting at a windmill that will not matter, say he is impeached do you really think his VP will not pardon him before he resigns just like Nixon.

Of course he will, that way he keeps the protection available for himself.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Double posting noob.
edit on 10-7-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Trump pardon

www.newsday.com...

You can find varying opinions, but the constitution does not preclude it.
It would go to the Supreme Court and is certainly not cut and dried. Technically, he could, as I said, pardon himself of all and any federal crimes he had ever committed up to the date of the pardon. I have no doubt it would be challenged.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I would say that pardoning one's self would be the epitome of political corruption.

Nobody would want that - at least I hope not.
It's all pretty irrelevant anyway, though I do think that Congress should move to implement specific law against this for the next Presidential term.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Trump pardon

I read up on this very issue back when people were concerned Hillary could pardon herself if she won.

If a president were to pardon themselves it would be unprecedented and it appears the consensus in the legal community is that pardon would be thrown out.

The president cannot be on both sides of the pardon and there has to be a degree of separation.

There is no consensus. I have read both sides - most I have read find the idea wrong, but none can find any part of the constitution that limits the President's pardon power to pardon himself.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Nobody would want that - at least I hope not.
It's all pretty irrelevant anyway, though I do think that Congress should move to implement specific law against this for the next Presidential term.

Honestly, I don't think Trump would try to do such a thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join