It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get your music to the people?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Hello ATS!

I am a musician and composer who has produced a number of songs on soundcloud, youtube and facebook but have not been able to find much information or much success in getting people to listen to my music. I understand that there is a strong possibility that the music just isn't good, but it is hard to make that determination without getting views. I reach out to ATS experts for advice on marketing and publicizing these songs so I can at least get some feedback. Right now I have linked my videos to soundcloud, youtube and facebook - even put together a website but still no luck.

I recently started a new project that is meant for movie scores at the moment - but may evolve if lyrics are added. It's a mix of electronic and rock from what I can tell. I am trying to focus more on youtube, since I have found most people don't know what soundcloud is (this is where I originally started).

Here are 3 pieces from the new project:
Youtube Channel Link

I went with something simple for the name of this project "Jason's Band" half because it's easy to remember and half because the website www.jasonsband.com was available, and that was way to convenient to pass up

So any advice that you have for modern marketing on youtube (or other sources) given the changes in their ad process lately. I have tried to find marketing tools on youtube, but the only thing I could find was related to making your own video ads, which is way over my head. I hope that is not the only option. I want subscribers and thumbs ups, but would very happily settle for at least some views

Please help ATS!

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Have you tried any of the older methods of advertising? Leave a single or compilation CD at a music shop(of course very few left), a guitar store, cafe, music venue or other, or even just a flier or flyer/card linking to your website.

Word of mouth? I've found depends on your area where you live if music is more of a word of mouth thing rather than a CL ad.

Maybe a local radio station(such as a college one) that might play your music during a select night for that.
edit on 9-7-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

That's actually an area I have avoided. I tend to be more introverted so I think that's why I leaned more heavily toward online marketing.

Great idea though.

Maybe the local music store would allow me to leave some CDs there, or bars or something?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Enjoyed this one very much.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Good work Infinitus! I like your compositional sensibility. I think you have what it takes to do film scoring but as for how to promote your work the only idea I have is to send independent filmmakers some demos. You may have to do some freebies to get your foot in the door though. Maybe local advertising agencies as well, they often need backing music for commercials.

I would be interested to hear more acoustic instruments and I think you could benefit from experimenting with odd time signatures and using a wider range of percussion instruments and sound effects. Finding your own sound and style can take many years but dont get discouraged. If music is your mistress you can't leave it, just keeping working at it.

It isn't the getting there that's important but the journey and the process.
I listened to all 3 tracks btw, I think you have the talent to put it together.
Cheers,
ATA

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Thank you so much!!!

I think that is a great idea to start. I will see about reaching out to local indie film groups. I grew up in L.A. and lived out there for over 28 years, but moved to Albuquerque a few years ago. Much smaller scene out here but movies do have some presence lately. I will see who I can share with in that group.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Infinitis

It also occurred to me that game designers need music as well.
Not sure how to hook up with them but I bet you could look them up.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
I have never even thought about that but that would be great for the type of thing I'm trying. Hmm. Now I have to figure out how I can approach them.

top topics

join