It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Corporate Sales Marketing Question??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
This is a weird topic for a conspiracy site, but I literally cannot find a forum that is used by restaurant managers/owners and employees.. so I'll try and explain this well enough for a lay person to catch on.

In corporate restaurants there are all these strange marketing rules that have been common place for decades..

All these weird phrases you should or should not use and all these crazy tactics meant to make the customer feel more comfortable.

Such as they tell you you should never use the term "speacials" and instead should call things "features".

Also it is commonly thought that if you have the chairs pulled out a few inches it makes the customer feel more comfortable and want to come in..

There are many more and it doesn't only apply to restaurants. I'm sure there are countless other crazy little policies in other businesses meant to influence their clientele.

Well I would like to know where I could find how they came to these conclusions and what studies established these hypotheses.

Was there actually double blind studies done, or is this all stuff that has basically only been circulated by restaurant people and after that kinda became a self fulfilling prophecy??

I kinda wonder if it isn't more the case of some corporate marketing group trying to justify their existence.

Kinda like some company asked..

"Now why are we paying y'all again?? "

And they just made some stuff up that sounded good and from there restaurant people started spreading their bs and it caught on..

You'd be surprised at the minutiae that businesses study to maximize sales / profits. Everything from how stores are laid out to lighting and background music is measured and analyzed; especially at larger companies.

There is no grand conspiracy. It is just understanding consumer behavior and what people respond to positively. There are studies but you won't find them in the public for the most part as most of this information is proprietary to the company. EVERY SINGLE COMPANY of any size studies this stuff. Most large companies have entire departments that do nothing but analyze this stuff. There are also many management consulting firms that provide services to companies as well.

The area of study you are asking about is known as consumer behavior and is a subset of marketing.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

But what study was done to establish "chairs pulled out three inches" made people more likely to come in and sit down???

I going to say it was most likely various focus groups who were asked to provide assessments of the hospitality environment without having been given specific details to be mindful of.

Keep in mind that most of these chain restaurants are owned by large conglomerates which have always been in the habit of trying to maximize spend on each patron that dines there by using as many of these marketing tactics as possible.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm with you..

I just wonder how much isn't fabricated or was poorly studied then was parroted by people who legit think it is true, but really it's only as true as people believing it is.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
You can tell who took B.M. classes and who didn't by the replies in this thread.

That's my observation and only contribution.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I just wonder how much isn't fabricated or was poorly studied then was parroted by people who legit think it is true, but really it's only as true as people believing it is.

I tend to think the methodology used over numerous studies and surveys would lead to a rather homogenous data set when compared to each other. I don't think they are fudging any of this, human psychological behavior is certainly a factor in our dining and spending habits.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Ok...start with a simple google and read up on Edward Bernays and his so goddamned simplistic genius, then follow the links from there regarding atmosphere and hospitality and you'll not only learn something yourself, but you won't have to credit ATS at all for your new found intelligence.

Really, there's a lot of literature and small studies for this or that when it comes to profitable business practices that I'm not sure where to start.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I'm with you..

And that's EXACTLY the uncertainty of the psyche that Bernays played on.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: essentialtremors
Ok...start with a simple google and read up on Edward Bernays...

I always found it ironic that his name was a homophone for a delicious sauce.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Ok...start with a simple google and read up on Edward Bernays...

I always found it ironic that his name was a homophone for a delicious sauce.

I hate the flavor, but people are convinced that they like it.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I'm with you..

The vast majority of the practices are effective or businesses wouldn't be doing it.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I hate the flavor, but people are convinced that they like it.

I personally like it, it's a bit rich so I only prepare it occasionally.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join