It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Terrain Features Compared to the Great Barrier Reef on Earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r
a reply to: audubon

Not in terms of extant corals on the surface, I doubt anyone assumed that to be the case.

It's more the thought of whether or not ancient marine organisms, like corals or stromatolites, would have left behind any distinct large-scale patterns in the terrain that would be visible long after their demise.

I think they would. Obviously fossilisation on Mars seems unlikely, but the fossil reefs we have here on Earth show the persistence of the outlines of such formations after eons.

One thought has occurred to me since you started this thread. What is the elevation of the land where your reef-like formations sit?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

According to the global elevation map available in GE, it's in the lower regions of the scale:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

Now, that's encouraging!

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Mars Terrain Features Compared to an Ice Cream

Mars' south pole

Ice cream

Nom!

edit on 11-7-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Early Mars photos were dead ringer for AZ desert through an instagram filter. Now it's zoomed in snaps of Ben N Jerry's

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Come on now, we all knew there's ice cream on Mars!

But I get your point about hunting clouds, pareidolia and basing assumptions upon visual evidence only, which is not very scientific. However, the existence of marine organisms in Martian prehistory is a real possibility. We actually already found hints and strong indications that would support this assumption.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join