It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Two US Air Force B-1 bombers have dropped “inert weapons” near the DMZ,

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The MiG-29, with the right load, at the right range will beat anything the West has, short of an F-22. At long range, just about anything we have will handle it.

I'm sorry Zaphod...

I Have a hard time believing that anything Russia has would make it off a runway in full deployment of the F-35 and F-22...

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I have a vivid imagination and the F=35.... I would # down Putin's throat for it's capabilities.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
I have a vivid imagination and the F=35.... I would # down Putin's throat for it's capabilities.

Why does the F35 take off with one of the cockpits open? Can it lift straight up, and zoom away too?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoh, I dont know... faith in Youtube?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

That's not a cockpit opening. That's the cover of the lift-fan.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull
I liked my reasoning better...

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Trillium

Sounds like a new kind of bomb!

They still cost 1.3 million each.

Jk, I dont know, but I gotcha didnt I.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Most of their equipment is either older Russian, or Chinese license built of Russian equipment. Their most modern aircraft is the MiG-29B/UB, although they might have some MiG-29S Fatbacks. They're still flying MiG-17s and -21s as a big part of their inventory. Between the MiG and Shenyang/Chengdu versions, they have somewhere around 380 MiG-17s, -19s, and -21s.

I bet one of our jet fighters could take out 10 of those..EASY.

Likely a hundred due to the fact most of them cant take off due to lack of fuel!

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
This situation is a powder keg and both sides are playing with a flint and steel.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Question...

Why not use a B-2 for something like this if the object is to flex and scare?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

The cockpit isn't open. That's the lift fan on the B model. They CAN use it to take off vertically, but they can't carry any kind of payload if they do. They can land vertically or do a short rolling landing, which lets them land on small carriers like the America, or Bonhomme Richard. It allows the Marines to use them for air support, without having to rely on a large carrier like the Nimitz or one of her sisters.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Because there's a more or less permanent bomber presence on Guam that doesn't include B-2s. The B-1s were convenient and could be there faster.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

why make it a lifting hatch,a sliding one would reduce drag on horizontal take offs,seems like a design flaw to me.

edit on 9-7-2017 by modified device because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: modified device

Because it's used to direct air into the lift fan, like an intake. It's only open for a minute or so on takeoff. Almost as soon as they takeoff they're transitioning to forward flight and closing it.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: soccermom
a reply to: Zaphod58

Is North Korea capable of shooting down B1's or B52's flying high over their country?
If they are, the USA better watch out.

They were in SK, not NK I believe.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trillium

Thank for the second source bit not info
But it just Trump kicking up sand back at NK Face

I'm really hoping that President Trump will order a cruise missile strike on Kim Jong. He's not hiding in a bunker.

Jong said that he's worried that he will be raided and "Osama'd" by Navy Seals. IMO, we shouldn't risk one American life going after him like that. Let a low-yield C.M. get the job done.

So I see you're one of those warmongers that will risk a world war to attempt to kill a man for no reason. Ok?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
So this is what passes for news these days huh?.

...Seriously?...

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: modified device

why make it a lifting hatch,a sliding one would reduce drag on horizontal take offs,seems like a design flaw to me.

Flight stability it creates a low pressure area over the wings inoted of the body of the plane by controlling the flow of the air. Incredibly smart compared with trying to tilt the engine.
edit on 7/9/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The MiG-29, with the right load, at the right range will beat anything the West has, short of an F-22. At long range, just about anything we have will handle it. As for the others, it would be a turkey shoot,

I will have to disagree. the Mig-29 is a easy target.
first the US navy top gun school trains navy pilots on how the MiG-29 flies and fights.
and the navy fights in two to 4 plane groups making it hard for the MIG to get a clean target on US planes.
en.wikipedia.org...

The US navy AIM-9X is way better then the air to air heat seekers the russians use.
the russian K-13 (NATO reporting name: AA-2 "Atoll") is reverse engineered from a early AIM-9E/D
en.wikipedia.org...(missile)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

They tested the MiG-29 against everything in the Western inventory in the 90s. With the AA-10, at about 10-15 km I believe the range was, the Fulcrum beat everything. Period. It already had a HOBS, long before anything in the West did, and the AA-10 had a performance envelope similar to the AIM-9X has now. The only thing that's changed since then is the F-22 coming online. It came as a hell of a shock to the pilots.

Russian missiles have had a slight edge for years. They copied the AIM-9 for the AA-2, but not long after they took off and surpassed many USb missiles.
edit on 7/10/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join