It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of children being referred to gender identity clinics has quadrupled in five years

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The suicide rate goes down post-op, but it's still higher than it should be. Why? Because of lovely folks like yourself.

Or, because it's a mental disorder and indulging the patients delusions to the point of surgically mutilating them isn't the correct/best course of treatment

edit on 8-7-2017 by imwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam

The suicide rate goes down post-op, but it's still higher than it should be. Why? Because of lovely folks like yourself.

Or, because it's a mental disorder and indulging the patients delusions to the point of surgically mutilating them isn't the correct/best course of treatment

Most transgenders do not have surgery.

And NO - - it is not a mental disorder. Unless you consider the brain telling you your gender a mental disorder.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: Annee

We started "You are who you are" at a very early age.

It doesn't have to be complicated.

It's not complicated at all.

I believe that I am God.

I've had this inner feeling since I was a kid.

The problem is that society doesn't accept me as God, they treat me like an ordinary person.

Is there a clinic I can go to and get all this straightened out?

How do I get my rights back?

How do I get everyone to treat me the way they would treat any God?

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚... perfect.. I think I have a kid alot like you πŸ˜‰.. jk

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
dailysignal.com...

1. Twin studies prove no one is born β€œtrapped in the body of the wrong sex.”

2. Gender identity is malleable, especially in young children.

6. Neuroscience shows that adolescents lack the adult capacity needed for risk assessment.

7. There is no proof that affirmation prevents suicide in children.

Advocates of the transition-affirming protocol allege that suicide is the direct and inevitable consequence of withholding social affirmation and biological alterations from a gender-dysphoric child. In other words, those who do not endorse the transition-affirming protocol are essentially condemning gender-dysphoric children to suicide.

Yet as noted earlier, prior to the widespread promotion of transition affirmation, 75 to 95 percent of gender-dysphoric youth ended up happy with their biological sex after simply passing through puberty.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: ClovenSky
a reply to: MisterSpock

Totally off topic but you must get really frustrated when your excellent brand of sarcasm is taken at face value. Those planes are flying so high, the passengers experience weightlessness.

What can I say, I'm on a whole other level.

Thanks though, sometimes I wonder....

Great answer, I for one enjoy your critiques and further questioning or challenge, it's important that we stay true to our perceptions and opinions and challenge others when it conflicts. That's often how we open eyes, minds and dive into a really meaty subject and really begin to truly learn about it.

Thank you and keep being you...

That goes for everyone else, you AREN'T going to always agree, so EMBRACE it but be cool and collected about it, no need to treat the conflicting opinion as a physical jab.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Yeah, I think this is heading in the wrong direction.

Gender dysphoria in children may not be that rare. Who wants to sign their kid up for sterility or something drastic? Ten years from now, or even twenty, there will be a portion of these kids wondering what the hell their parents were thinking.

Curse me and brand me non-progressive on this issue but kids are really getting confused by this.

I think there are definitely individuals with permanent gender dysphoria who could be treated for it but this is all feeling way too "trendy."

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

And NO - - it is not a mental disorder. Unless you consider the brain telling you your gender a mental disorder.

People's brains telling them they're something they're not is a common symptom of a mental disorder. If my brain tells me I'm a purple pony, does that make me a purple pony? I think not.

I say it's a mental disorder, all the "studies" that have been put forward here as proving otherwise are filled with "maybe's", "might be's" and point to no more than the possibility of a genetic component. And, plenty of mental disorders have a genetic component.

That it's not a mental disorder isn't established fact. It's not settled science. PERIOD

edit on 8-7-2017 by imwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
They don’t know whether it’s a mental disorder or not. Psychiatry and psychology is not an exact science.

Keep researching; meanwhile do what is best for the kids as best we can.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: imwilliam

Most transgenders do not have surgery.

Perception does not equal physical reality. While I may believe I can fly I will still fall and die.

It's a hardware vs software thing. The physical hardware is fixed, constant. The software running atop the hardware can not alter the physical reality of what the hardware is. Your statement was such an easy target for an obvious analogy.

That said, I have no problem with it. If you want to be what you want that's fine. Be it, but don't blame the hardware. Why can't that be acceptable. Why can't, "it's just how I feel", be good enough. Why try to displace the source in order to validate it. It's not necessary.
edit on 8-7-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=22438292]

Because you didn't have one.

However, many from your generation did/do.

Want to know why we didn't have one? It was due to my parents(not some #'ing school) teaching us before we were even school age. That is why.

Ahhhh NO! We were taught masculinity is OK - NOT that masculinity is toxic! Parents from my generation did not head# us into believing we were confused. That was called CHILD ABUSE back in my day. LIKE IT IS NOW! Only now it is GOVERNMENT sanctioned child abuse.

Penis = XY. Vagina = XX. PERIOD!

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CurlySue

American college of Pediatricians - "a hate group with a history of propagating damaging falsehoods against the LGBT community"

I can't post a link right now, but look them up on Wikipedia.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Hallelujah AB!!

Any rational human being should be able to recognize this is a disturbing trend, unless they choose to be willfully ignorant.

It's definitely becoming a trend, just turn on your TV.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Reminds me of this statue:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

American college of Pediatricians - "a hate group with a history of propagating damaging falsehoods against the LGBT community"

Yep. It took me a few, but then I remembered what I've learned over the years here on ATS.

The American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds) is a socially conservative advocacy group of pediatricians and other healthcare professionals in the United States. The group was founded in 2002 by a group of pediatricians, including Joseph Zanga, a past president of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), as a protest against the AAP's support for adoption by gay couples. The group's membership as of 2016 is estimated at 500. membersen.wikipedia.org...

edit on 8-7-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
the only problem I see here is if they start legally redetermining the gender of these children and commence appropriate therapy or operations. wait until you are old enough to at least drive, if not making your own money and paying your own bills, before you decide to switch genders. the alternative is that we completely overhaul the traditional gender system and substitute it with a much more complicated spectrum of identities which will create endless paperwork, headaches and social tumult for everyone.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
. . . wait until you are old enough to at least drive, . . .

Way too late.

Hormone blockers need to be taken before any physical changes that happen during puberty.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Reminds me of this statue:

Where is that statue located? In Washington, DC?
edit on 8-7-2017 by MaestroMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Since when is Wikipedia the book of all truths ? πŸ€”

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

Really?

That's your rebuttal?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

Go to your room

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join