It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of children being referred to gender identity clinics has quadrupled in five years

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

An age-appropriate conversation is the key. No need to go into any more detail than "you know how you have a mommy and daddy who love each other? Well, some kids have 2 mommies who love each other just like that." Then when they have a friend at school with two gay parents, they're like no big deal, I already know about that stuff.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Wait, we were talking about school programs. That means school age. But yeah, gender dysphoria could present itself as early as 3.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

But how is it possible when a 3 year old doesn't even understand what a gender is? What kind of behavior can a 3 year old exhibit that would tell you it's suffering from dysphoria?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Some kids might have 2 mommies, and some might have 2 daddies. The Prince might fall in love with another Prince instead of a princess. It doesn't totally explain the subject, but could introduce the subject without talking about sex.

If my 5 year old had a friend with two mommies - - and asked me why.

I'd tell him "Because they love each other". Nothing more needs to be said.

And I know five year olds who would say " but my mommy loves her friends .. why didn't she marry them instead of daddy? "

Some 5 year olds ask that anyway, even if homosexuality is never brought up. How would you respond?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Telling a kid with gender dysphoria that girls are always girls and boys are always boys is psychologically harmful to them. A kid who doesn't have gender disphoria will not feel suicidal if you tell them that sometimes a girl might really be a boy.

I talked with my own daughter about gender dysphoria in an age-appropriate way when she was young and she never got confused. She just got more knowledgeable, and didn't freak out when one of her on-line friends told her about their own journey to transition.

Unless you don't talk at all about gender issues and wait until the kid wonders by itself and comes asking you.
Personally, I was a kid with anxiety and never thought about sex either. I was just troddling along, when we discussed being gay at school.
OK, for most kids that's it, for me with OCD and anxiety, I suddenly worried that I was gay. I didn't even know exactly what it meant, and when I told my mum she laughed and said that it wouldn't matter if I was. But that wasn't my issue at all.

My issue was that I feared the unknown and the un-understandable as I had no concept about it; but because it was mentioned before I was ready, I started worrying nevertheless.
I am not gay but I had a few months of panic attacks because of that!
In the same way I worried about tumours and dying when I first heard about it when a boy at school died.

Trust me, I was happier before it was shoved down my throat. I would have preferred to learn about these things a little later and from my parents or friends.
Always thinking about themselves, there are other people, with other problems that are just as bad but it's ok to confuse, scare, hurt them because they are normalos and deserve it. As long as the little possible transgender person gets to know all about sex, gender and gay issues by the age of 3 all is well.

Nice.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I think it could mean a couple of things:

1. While still very rare, Gender disphoria may be a little more common than we originally thought,

2. Just because someone is referred to a therapist who specializes in gender dysphoria, doesn't mean they are 100% going to move to the next phase. It may end with counseling.

But, No - Let's go with the sky is falling.

3. Young children are very impressionable. Bringing up any topic, and they want to empathise with the topic. In some cases, they confuse the topic with their own reality.

Ergo, stop talking about this crap in schools and the incidence will drop. It's not anything a pre-pubescent elementary student should need to hear about. Seriously, 2nd grade!?! Let kids be kids.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I don't get it. Who are trying to confuse the children and why? I see that claim all the time with no evidence.
And why is 84 children out of billions "many"?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

3 year olds aren't as retarded as you think they are. They have a sense of self, and they have a sense of boy and girl. 3 year olds with gender dysphoria have been known to argue vehemently about not being a boy when everyone refers to them as one.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

originally posted by: Annee

Some kids might have 2 mommies, and some might have 2 daddies. The Prince might fall in love with another Prince instead of a princess. It doesn't totally explain the subject, but could introduce the subject without talking about sex.

If my 5 year old had a friend with two mommies - - and asked me why.

I'd tell him "Because they love each other". Nothing more needs to be said.

And I know five year olds who would say " but my mommy loves her friends .. why didn't she marry them instead of daddy? "

Some 5 year olds ask that anyway, even if homosexuality is never brought up. How would you respond?

There are many types of love. My love for you (my son) is not the same love that I have for your mommy. Mommy's love for her friends is different than her love for you or daddy. Now go play outside.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
I don't get it. Who are trying to confuse the children and why? I see that claim all the time with no evidence.

A 400% increase is many.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

This is where your argument falls flat.

How can a 3 year old argue vehemently about being a different gender when they don't understand what a gender really is?

You're giving 3 year olds way too much credit for the sake of confirming your beliefs.

NO, a 3 year old does not understand gender.

Please answer this, what type of behavior can a 3 year old exhibit to show it suffers from dysphoria???

link   

Yes this is pretty much what they are looking to do, create confusion.

link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

A 400% increase is many.

84. Think about it.
And do you mind addressing my other question?

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

3 year olds aren't as retarded as you think they are. They have a sense of self, and they have a sense of boy and girl. 3 year olds with gender dysphoria have been known to argue vehemently about not being a boy when everyone refers to them as one.

Retarded? How insensitive.

Here's what I asked my kid:

Me: Are you a boy or girl?

Him: A boy

Me: How do you know?

Him: Because I looked in a mirror and my hair doesn't look like mom's,

Me: Do you have a pee pee?

Him: Yes

Me: Do boys have pee pees?

Him: Yes

Me: So you're a boy

Him: Mmmm hmmm

Me: Thanks. Now go outside and play.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I am sorry you had OCD and anxiety, but frankly, anything being discussed at school could have set you off. Talking about wars could make you think war will hit your hometown. Talking about the invention of the atomic bomb must have kept you up for weeks.
You needed serious therapy, and I sincerely hope you got it.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

That 84 only represents a tiny demographic that actually went to the clinic. There is still the rest of the world Deaf..

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Such a simplistic condescending argument. It only further prove that you lack understanding of gender dysphoria.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

That 84 only represents a tiny demographic that actually went to the clinic. There is still the rest of the world Deaf..

Talk to me when that changes.
Now can you address my other question? Seems that people are avoiding that question.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

anything being discussed at school could have set you off

Look, you yourself just admitted that something discussed at school can set him off.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

What question?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join