It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Earth could turn into a hothouse planet like Venus

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
The military and Hawkings plus other reputable scientist... or...the fossil fuel industry and their paid for scientist?

Please remind me what Hawkings' credentials are regarding climate change? I thought he mainly dealt in theoretical physics.

It's like Bill Nye the Science Guy. Most people don't realize that he's just a TV personality. He has a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and he used to work for Boeing, but that is extent of his science credentials. He doesn't know anything more about climate change than any other random person does.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: Blarneystoner

book sense and common sense rarely go together.

Really? That's the kind of answer I would expect from someone who has neither.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
How do we know that is actually what the Prof is saying. It would be very easy to get the electronic speaking device to say whatever the remote controller wanted it to. Hawking would find it very difficult to show any protest or disagree.

I really don't mean to be cruel, but honestly I would like to see some proof that Stephen Hawking is (a) still alive, and (b) capable of forming rational thoughts. I mean, it's well known that doctors have no idea how he's managed to live this long with his degenerative disorder. Maybe he didn't?

edit on 10-7-2017 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: GuidedKill

What a conspiracy that would be, Hawking is no more than a vegetable being used as a voice box.

Even worse... imagine if he's really been dead for years, and it's just his taxadermied corpse sitting in that wheelchair.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Pretty creepy and disturbing.

If that is the case, I'll bet the earth is also flat. I mean if Hawking is a actually a corpse, everything else should be possible right?

Lol..

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

originally posted by: openminded2011

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: olaru12well i seem to remember they said by 2020 east coast and florida would be underwater you got three years or less to go . i dob't see it happening but who knows?

Whoever said that? They grossly underestimate how long it takes for ice to melt.

Sea level is definitely rising in Florida, you see it in saltwater intrusion, coastal flooding is becoming more frequent at high tides, especially in Miami. If you go down to the keys in some places you can see where places are starting to see the effects.

Could be and probably is in some places but the question is what's the cause of the rise?

For the record, in many places rising sea levels have more to do with the land subsiding, usually due to groundwater depletion from wells & irrigation. Subsidence is thought to be the main reason Venice is sinking: those swampy little islands simply were not designed to have a zillion tons of stone structures sitting on them.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

a reply to: olaru12well i seem to remember they said by 2020 east coast and florida would be underwater you got three years or less to go . i dob't see it happening but who knows?

Whoever said that? They grossly underestimate how long it takes for ice to melt.

Sea level is definitely rising in Florida, you see it in saltwater intrusion, coastal flooding is becoming more frequent at high tides, especially in Miami. If you go down to the keys in some places you can see where places are starting to see the effects.

Could be and probably is in some places but the question is what's the cause of the rise?

For the record, in many places rising sea levels have more to do with the land subsiding, usually due to groundwater depletion from wells & irrigation. Subsidence is thought to be the main reason Venice is sinking: those swampy little islands simply were not designed to have a zillion tons of stone structures sitting on them.

Yes... for the record... please give us your unsubstantiated opinion with absolutely no data to back it up. And please do offer a completely ludicrous explanation why those "little swampy islands" are inundated with sea water. Whoever "designed" those islands certainly couldn't have anticipated all the stone structures built on them... WTF were they thinking?

edit on 10-7-2017 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blarneystoner

Yes... for the record... please give us your unsubstantiated opinion with absolutely no data to back it up. And please do offer a completely ludicrous explanation why those "little swampy islands" are inundated with sea water. Whoever "designed" those islands certainly couldn't have anticipated all the stone structures built on them... WTF were they thinking?

Groundwater-related subsidence.
The San Joaquin Valley, New Orleans, Bangkok, and Mexico City are among the more prominent places where this has become a problem.

Venice's problems are caused by multiple issues: groundwater subsidence, compaction from building weight, and plate tectonics are all working in the same direction: down.

edit on 10-7-2017 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Are you trying to tell me that The San Joaquin Valley, New Orleans and Mexico city are being inundated by sea water due to ground water subsidence? Because that's what we're talking about, rising sea levels. Of course none of those places are being flooded by sea water because they have no coast line. The San Joaquin Valley and Mexico City are land locked with no ocean coastlines and New Orleans sits next to a fresh water lake. Nice try but that doesn't disprove rising sea levels.

And your second link, the article about Venice actually mentions rising sea levels.

Venice subsided about 120 mm in the 20th century due to natural processes and groundwater extraction, in addition to a sea level rise of about 110 mm at the same time, Teatini said in a statement.

Doh!

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I never said there isn't any sea level rise, just that in many places the bigger problem is that the ground is actually sinking. Which is true. New Orleans is already below sea level, and has been for years. And forget about the ocean: were it not for the levies, the Mississippi River would be flowing thru the city into Lake Ponchetrain by now.

ETA: For Bangkok, this paper puts the amount of subsidence at more than a meter over the past 35 years, which easily dwarfs the sea level rise. And it is attributed to groundwater pumping.

I concluded many years ago that the wars of the future will be fought over access to sources of fresh water.
edit on 10-7-2017 by AndyFromMichigan because: ETA

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Think of Earth as a very, very big closed goldfish bowl. You don't get to change the water, you don't get to add anything to the bowl. In a short while the water will grow cloudy and the fish will go belly up. You must use a bubbler to oxygenate the water in such an enclosure.

Now Earth is basically a similarly closed system. It does have some things which rejuvenate it. Deep ocean currents, geothermal activity, weather systems, tectonic plate movement. But those things are just mediators. Eventually, the Earth will become like an unattended fish bowl, in all likelihood and if we don't take care of it even robust renewal systems won't be able to keep up.

I think Hawking has a point. It's not clear how long this will take to happen.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

The military is concerned about climate change.

www.scientificamerican.com...

www.military.com...

So who do you believe?

The military and Hawkings plus other reputable scientist... or...the fossil fuel industry and their paid for scientist?

of course the right wing will side with the energy companies and when Florida is under water...whine ...."why didn't someone warn us"

I will believe PURE facts of science that have a documentation chain of custody to serve as court-provable numerical information as to their accuracy. Court provable chain of custody documents that the formulas and models haven't been tinkered with. Court provable chain of custody documents that the sensors have been calibrated so the readings are fact not guesses. Court provable chain of custody documents that the takers of the readings are qualified to perform the tasks. Court provable chain of custody documents that the graphs and charts used for the emotional blast furnaces into the public arena are accurate and factual. Court provable chain of custody documents that the company performing the calibration on all the sensors in the world is qualified and certified to do so and each field technician is also certified and qualified to do so.

Do you want me to go on?

This is the way it is in nuclear industry. Why is it not this way in the climate industry that tells us Man will be destroying the planet? Answer me with facts and truth not cultist religious emotional flame throwing.
edit on 10-7-2017 by tkwasny because: Correction

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Are you trying to tell me that The San Joaquin Valley, New Orleans and Mexico city are being inundated by sea water due to ground water subsidence?
Get back to us when you understand Mexico City is no where near Sea level.

Elevation: 7,382′

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Well maybe these coastal floodings aren't directly related to sea level rise, maybe the tides are getting stronger.
Not saying it is, just considering the options.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Since you mentioned Venice...

This study investigates the relationship between decadal changes in solar activity and sea level extremes along the European coasts and derived from tide gauge data. Autumn sea level extremes vary with the 11 year solar cycle at Venice as suggested by previous studies, but a similar link is also found at Trieste. In addition, a solar signal in winter sea level extremes is also found at Venice, Trieste, Marseille, Ceuta, Brest, and Newlyn. The influence of the solar cycle is also evident in the sea level extremes derived from a barotropic model with spatial patterns that are consistent with the correlations obtained at the tide gauges. This agreement indicates that the link to the solar cycle is through modulation of the atmospheric forcing. The only atmospheric regional pattern that showed variability at the 11 year period was the East Atlantic pattern.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

Solar cycle may drive Venice’s floods

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick7
Think of Earth as a very, very big closed goldfish bowl. You don't get to change the water, you don't get to add anything to the bowl. In a short while the water will grow cloudy and the fish will go belly up. You must use a bubbler to oxygenate the water in such an enclosure.

Now Earth is basically a similarly closed system. It does have some things which rejuvenate it. Deep ocean currents, geothermal activity, weather systems, tectonic plate movement. But those things are just mediators. Eventually, the Earth will become like an unattended fish bowl, in all likelihood and if we don't take care of it even robust renewal systems won't be able to keep up.

I think Hawking has a point. It's not clear how long this will take to happen.

You forgot trees, plants and plankton.
And yes there are atmospheric gases escaping the earth and other charged particles like solar, galactic and cosmic rays entering the earth's atmosphere. So it's not really like your closed fish bowl, it's a bit more complex than that.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I really don't mean to be cruel, but honestly I would like to see some proof that Stephen Hawking is (a) still alive, and (b) capable of forming rational thoughts. I mean, it's well known that doctors have no idea how he's managed to live this long with his degenerative disorder. Maybe he didn't?

There's a guy, on youtube of course, who claims to be a part of the operation that incompacitated Hawking when he was abiut to reveal some pertinent earth shattering truth on his field of studies, and that his punishment for breaking allegiance to the cabal was to be credited with the theories he factually opposed, being carted around a concious vegetable , forcing him to listen to the gatekeeper theories being credited to his self, as they were typed out in front of him.

That would be agony. You really have to be rude to come up with such nonsense, so the guy must be telling the truth. Or is really insensitive, one or the other.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Hawking is becoming famous as an alarmist more than a scientist these days.

It will take millions of years or so before the Earth becomes the next Venus, however we are screwed anyway.

edit on 11-7-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Paridox

Are you trying to tell me that The San Joaquin Valley, New Orleans and Mexico city are being inundated by sea water due to ground water subsidence?
Get back to us when you understand Mexico City is no where near Sea level.

Elevation: 7,382′

If you're going to quote me, don't just take a line out of context. And at least read the entire discussion thread.

Here's the rest of what I said.
"Of course none of those places are being flooded by sea water because they have no coast line. The San Joaquin Valley and Mexico City are land locked with no ocean coastlines and New Orleans sits next to a fresh water lake. Nice try but that doesn't disprove rising sea levels."

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Obviously Hawking's an idiot, right? I mean, President Trump says climate change is BS. Since Trump's never wrong, Hawking, the dolt, must be. Man, I'm sooo grateful our nation has Trump's mind to guide though these strange times when an internationally recognized genius warns us that we're harming ourselves.

Hawking = FAKE GENIUS !

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join