It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Earth could turn into a hothouse planet like Venus

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: GuidedKill

What a conspiracy that would be, Hawking is no more than a vegetable being used as a voice box.

I mean this is ATS isn't it.... I'll do some digging.. see if I can't locate his IP address...

Time to get weird ....
RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I wouldn't doubt that.. but I wonder what he'd do with money? Lol

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
With all the problems Steve Hawkins has, how do we even know if he is sane anymore? He used to be a genius, but there is no telling how he is now. I do not trust any information that I hear he has said anymore, the computer could be rigged to say anything, how do we know these people aren't scamming people.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Comparing Earth to Venus is just out of this world stupid. It actually works against the agenda, there will be only a select few low IQ people that will buy into this one.
edit on 8-7-2017 by soccermom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

a reply to: GuidedKill

What a conspiracy that would be, Hawking is no more than a vegetable being used as a voice box.

I have been thinking this for awhile now.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

That would actually be really sad.. imagine he's fully conscious and aware, but unable to move or speak, being kept alive and used as a puppet..

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

That would actually be really sad.. imagine he's fully conscious and aware, but unable to move or speak, being kept alive and used as a puppet..

As terrible as the thought is, I wouldn't put it past those behind the scenes who have access to unacknowledged programs and operating totally above the law... It's a scary possibility

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

It is possible and it will likely happen within the next one to two billion years naturally anyway as the sun is actually getting slowly hotter as it get's older, the earth will then become like Venus long before the sun start's to turn into a super giant in it's dying phase as it run's out of hydrogen in it's core and start's to fuse heavier and heavier element's.

No one know's for certain but Venus may have been earth like until fairly recently, even until under a billion years ago.

Venus is only very slightly smaller than the earth and side by side the two planet's are twins that would to the naked eye look about the same size, it has no moon though and if you could see the sun which you can not on Venus due to the thick hot atmosphere then the sun would rise in the west and set in the east, the day on Venus are actually roughly 243 day's long and so are the night's which make's them longer than a year on Venus which is actually only about a little under 225 days long.

Today the surface of Venus is divided into two continental highland's and a massive single ocean basin or Venusian lowland, the sea's though long ago boiled off into the atmosphere, most the hydrogen in the water has probably long ago bled away into space and what water remains fall's in constant downpour's that NEVER reach the ground but evaporate long before they do and those downpours are not water but highly concentrated Sulfuric acid.

It is so hot that it rain's lead sulfide as well which form's metallic snow upon Venus highest mountain's but even there on those highest mountains it is hotter than a very hot oven.

When the Russians sent a probe to the planet it lasted only a very short time despite being very heavily armored before it gave out but what showed was a surface were the atmosphere was so thick, dense and hot that it was almost fluid and bent and curved the light that passed through it, if there was a world modeled after the biblical hell it is Venus.

And Venus may once have been just like earth, potentially even had life but it would have been much different to here and likely was always warmer than the earth even then.

From about 2.2 billion years ago to about 750 million years ago the earth went through a period of super ice age's collectively known as the Snow Ball earth period during which time this world of ours probably looked more like the planet hoth from the Star Wars the empire strikes back movie, during this time the earth may have frozen even to it's equator perhaps several time's with indeterminate inter glacial periods during which life may have had several false start's and this was in part due to the sun being much cooler back then so likely Venus was also cooler at this time.

But today though we hear about time's when the climate was much warmer in fact the sun is hotter and is getting progressively hotter as it ages, the earth will therefore become very much like Venus as it does because there is a region around the sun called the Goldilocks zone were it is neither too hot nor too cold for liquid water to exist upon planet's that exist within it and Venus once existed within the Goldilocks zone but as the sun get's warmer that zone moves ever further out away from the sun, as the earth bakes mars may become habitable with a little terraforming and in a much further future humanity or it's descendant's may move to the moon's of Saturn or Jupiter as the sun begins to expand.

But humanity is tipping the balance in such a way that the earth may become uninhabitable far sooner than it has to by making the atmosphere more like a thermal blanket and trapping the heat of the sun and the natural heat of the earth itself within the atmosphere, if this continues we will essentially begin to cook our own world and of course become extinct because of our own stupidity.

So your point is correct and so is Mr Hawking's point, Venus may once have been just like the earth but with longer day's and night's and only the sun to govern it's tides which would have been slow and long tides, if life existed there it would have had very long cycles and perhaps the night side experienced a long winter and darkness while the day side experienced a long hot summer, region's of life would have migrated near to the day/night terminator as it moved around the planet or lived near to it's polar region's while the equator would have had a band of desert on it's continental land mass' that likely baked under the long sun and then froze in the long winter but life may if it existed there have adapted to that also and perhaps even then cloud's made it rain a lot so maybe it was more jungle like in the day, I suspect venus death was a long and horrible one if life ever existed there.

edit on 9-7-2017 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Wow thanks for such a descriptive and insightful post. You definitely sound like you know what you're talking about so I'm just going to have to take your word

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
With all the problems Steve Hawkins has, how do we even know if he is sane anymore? He used to be a genius, but there is no telling how he is now. I do not trust any information that I hear he has said anymore, the computer could be rigged to say anything, how do we know these people aren't scamming people.

I vote he is in the stage of full blown liberal loon.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Reading in between the lines again with this second comment of Hawkins' of late. My opinion is that it is more subtle cues for the dumbed down masses, giving them the chance to realize and prepare to the reality of planet x's imminent passage.

This is what is actually causing climate change-nothing to do with man made Co2 levels which can be handled quite effectively by our own planet, volcanoes put out far more C02 in a day.

You'll see just how effectively the earth will cleanse itself after PX passes. The crude oil and Petro carbons that rain down will be broken down and absorbed over time. As this is where crude oil actually comes from and not dino bones, it is a byproduct of Planet X which then gets deposited as the tail of Px passes any said planetary object in its path.

Get ready we have short months..

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Hawking is right. he just did not say when.
in about 5 billion years, the sun will begin the helium-burning process, turning into a red giant star.

Venus and Mercury will be consumed and earth will become a Venus like planet.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Stephen Hawking: Earth could turn into a hothouse planet like Venus.

Clearly, this is not the case, and as the OP stated, it is an extreme over-exaggerated headline claim. What Hawking actually stated is...

Prof Hawking said the action could put Earth onto a path that turns it into a hothouse planet like Venus.
Hawking was simply drawing a parallel, not a factual perception, as Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system with an atmosphere, all be it a very poisonous one.

Man's burning of fossil fuels is not actually capable of turning Earth into equal conditions as the planet Venus. For that to happen, the earth would have to be a lot closer to the sun than it currently is, which in billions of years will happen. When the sun depletes its hydrogen stores it will go into a process known as nucleosynthesis, where the outward pressure will overcome the gravitational force, causing the sun to expand, and engulf all the 'inner' planets, including earth...utterly destroying them. Like all things that come into being, the earth has an expiry date.

However, he is quite right to draw the parallel. Through fossil fuel burning, and for the length of time we have been doing so, we have tipped the finely-tuned natural mechanisms which are reacting to the over-presence of CO2 in the atmosphere, which is building up as it has nowhere else to go. All the carbon sinks that help to remove CO2 from the atmosphere are over-saturated. Oceans are now turning 'acidic' in places because the CO2 is building up and closing off the oxygen supplies, killing life forms and organisms and the diverse ecosystems of reefs. CO2 is a part of the pollution problem. Fish in the seas have so much mercury in them that they are not really fit to eat, but they are still caught and sold and eaten. Which is why there is more mercury in the bloodstreams of fish eaters.

We are, and have polluted the earth that much, that our environments are and have become unstable to the extent that they are beginning to become less able to sustain the life forms in various habitats around the planet. With our pollution, we are shrinking the natural habitats that are capable of supporting not just us, but most life forms. We have reduced the quality of the air we breathe in our cities, with smog killing more and more people each year.

Of course, the natural mechanisms of the planet bring warming and cooling phases over time, this is the earth's pulse, and part of the earth's distribution mechanism for assimilating natural pollution from volcanoes and such like around the whole globe. We are interrupting that mechanism with our own pollution, and triggering greater reactive feed backs, which will prove detrimental to all life forms and organisms, but especially to us. We are simply destroying our environment's ability to support us. If we don't curb our polluting, we are going to poison ourselves, which we are already doing.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
For the moment, I'll believe those scientists who are saying that the planet is heading for a Maunder minimum, even though, as it is summer, and hot, (they must be connected)the sun is going to 'sleep' so I'm expecting more natural 'climate change'.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

You know...Hawkins used to believe in God and he actually went about proving that God does exist. His wife was happy because she was Christian. But then Hawkins started to deny God and went about proving that God does not exist... Hawkins changes his mind constantly. In about 5-10 years he can change his mind again and state that "anthropogenic climate change is a hoax"...

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   

I have great respect for Mr Hawking as a cosmologist and astrophysicist, but his field is not climatology. In addition, although Venus is often called Earths "sister planet" its considerably different. A day on Venus is 243 Earth days long, meaning it keeps one side turned towards the sun for a very long time. It also lacks a magnetic field and a large moon like the Earth. Not to mention its considerably closer to the sun Its also believed the planet lacks plate tectonics, which is crucial to removing carbon from the atmosphere through subduction. So it is a very different environment and has been for billions of years. Although Venus may have had oceans once, the factors I just mentioned conspired to heat the planet up. The Earth has had a fairly stable climate since its formation compared to the other planets and I IMHO life plays a major role in that. The earth maintains climate equilibrium because life controls that to an extent. For example, if CO2 starts raising temps and melting the permafrost, you can have more plant growth, and tree growth over time. What do plants do? They absorb carbon dioxide. The same thing occurs with microbes. There are concerns though, ie the release of methane in the oceans and permafrost could create a runaway effect that will raise temps even faster. But life has gotten a hold over this kind of thing for billions of years and there is no reason to think it wont do the same this time. So life on Earth will go on.

Ok, here is the bad news. Although I don't think we are headed for Venus like conditions, but we could alter the climate enough to make HUMAN life difficult . Human beings can exist in a relatively narrow temperature range, and agriculture more so. What we COULD do is damage the ecosystem enough to make human life miserable if not impossible. That IS a concern.

edit on 9-7-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

edit on 9-7-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Earth will turn into Venus...Just about as soon as Stephen Hawking uses an Etch-A-Sketch...

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'll admit I don't have much knowledge of what the Paris climate deal actually entails, or what the repercussions of pulling out of it are

MIT did a study and concluded if EVERY nation met their goal 100%, over 80 years it would decrease the temperature by 0.2 degrees C.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

So in other words, it wouldn't change much?

Or is 0.2 degrees a lot in the grand scheme of things in a million years time?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join