It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Earth could turn into a hothouse planet like Venus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I wish people would take more effort to separate polluting ones environment from changing the entire climate

They are one and the same , the biggest driver of proposed man made climate change is fossil fuels ,fossil fuels are burned creating pollution and effecting global climate.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Maybe, maybe not. I dont think Hawkings credentials on climate science are much grrater than mine. So its really just an opinion.

Still on the fence about global warming / gw as a manmade circumstance. Every time I lean one way, something comes out that makes me question that side. Hell Im not sure global warming is even reality. So much coming out about studies being faked. Otoh, I realize the entrenched energy industry has a vested interest in opposing energy tech progress.

I can tell a scam when I see one though and carbon taxes (and the Paris climate treaty) might be the biggest scam in history. I want pollution reduced, but there has to be a sane pragmatic approach.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The world feels like it's on fire when your butt is glued to a seat 24/7
Hawking may be a genius but climatology is not his specialty.
Same goes for Michio Kaku and Mr. Science himself, Bill Nye.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: olaru12

Exactly, putting what you said into perspective, do they really care about the Earth then?

Or is it all about the mula?

Nobody cares, it's all about the money. I don't care anymore...I got my slice of the pie and I'm leaving.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
We really need to tackle the agricultural chemical runoff polluting our waterways.

This.

But once again... this is related to an issue we can't talk about. Food supply.

Billions of people need to be fed. And the systems that supply that food are strained. So corners are cut.

Hence your term "agriculture chemical runoff"... even if we recycled every bottle and never watered our lawns... we'd still need millions of cattle slaughtered. Or billions of gallons of fresh water for your vegetables (for the meat eaters impaired)

Humans create an INSANE amount of waste before you even talk about whats in the trash can at the curb.

The answer is population control. The other topic we can't touch.

a reply to: gortex

I thought the biggest driver was methane from cattle? Or was that just another inflammatory bullsh!t article I read somewhere?

a reply to: Asktheanimals

Bill Nye, who in my eyes even as a child, WAS A JOKE, went deep into the red with his credibility with that last Netflix special...

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
An extinction and a rollover into the next civilization is overdue. Bring on the fire.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
With all due respect to Hawking, I think someone might want to check the oil in his chair as it seems it's quart low.

In order for Earth to become just like Venus with it's thermal runaway, our atmosphere would have to change significantly...and I don't mean just CO2 being released by humans.

Even the most alarmist climatologists have said that can't happen here on Earth. While things could get bad, seriously bad, it would never become as hot as Venus. Our atmosphere just isn't made the same way.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I thought the biggest driver was methane from cattle? Or was that just another inflammatory bullsh!t article I read somewhere?

Methane is a fairly short lived compound , it breaks down in the atmosphere which is why the discovery of methane in the Marian atmosphere was so interesting , CO2 lasts longer so the build up is greater.

CO2 is the biggest driver.

edit on 8-7-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

The USA is the second largest polluter in the world , pulling out of the Paris agreement gives them the scope the be the No1 largest polluter in the world.
Making America great again.

Whether you believe in man made climate change or not polluting the air you breath can't be good.

Since Obama labeled C02 a pollutant, that would require not breathing.
Thankfully Trump will undo the failed legacy that Obama tried to implement, a lot of believers will be able to quit holding their breath.

Air pollution is way down in the USA. You want the UN to have control over your energy policy? You should have voted for Hillary then. Barring that you can always move to the EU where the Paris agreement is now LEGAL AND BINDING.

www.epa.gov...

edit on 8-7-2017 by Ravie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Earth "could" turn into a hothouse planet like Venus, I "could" wake up with a super model and a winning lotto ticket.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

Methane is a fairly short lived compound , it breaks down in the atmosphere which is why the discovery of methane in the Marian atmosphere was so interesting , CO2 lasts longer so the build up is greater.

CO2 is the biggest driver.

You have no proof of that.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

You're gonna have to settle for a scratch off and a hooker.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

Yeah, but only one of those outcomes would require rubbing a magic lamp and summoning a genie.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

I can completely understand that we should have controls against polluting our environment. We really need to tackle the agricultural chemical runoff polluting our waterways.

The pushing of questionable global warming science (whether it turns out to be legit or not) has probably hurt environmental issues more than helped them.

As it so happens, my day job is at a business that makes organic biotech that both remediates the effects of glyphosate on the soil and can let farmers reduce nitrogen inputs by 25% while increasing yields slightly. (Or it increases yields a lot with unaltered nitrogen application). And its all legit, scientifically tested by a wide array of corporations, farms and universities.

Runoff is caused by over-application of nitrogen and phosphate. Better application practices could reduce runoff by probably 80%.

So..if anyone is wondering, Im hardly anti-enviromental. In fact, I work for a business at the forefront of real environmental science.
edit on 8-7-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravie

Air pollution is way down in the USA.

The Paris agreement was working then.

You should have voted for Hillary then.Barring that you can always move to the EU where the Paris agreement is now LEGAL AND BINDING.

Couldn't , I live in the EU but even if I was American I wouldn't of voted for her.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravie

Not arguing... got curious about that methane thing... new research >>

“Our research re-affirms the scientific basis for focusing on carbon dioxide emissions, but also highlights that methane must not be ignored if the world wants to consider all options to curb global warming.”

The scientists calculated that, while carbon dioxide remains by far the most significant gas driving human-induced climate change, methane, while much less abundant, is even more potent than previously thought. They found that a one tonne emission of methane has the equivalent warming effect of 32 tonnes of carbon dioxide – up from the previous estimate of 28.

Effect of Methane Worse than Originally Thought

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

What if anthropogenic climate change and localized pollution are not the same thing? What if a large portion of the earth's populace has the mindset that they are not related and recognize the scam that these 'scientists' are trying to sell . What if a lot of people agree with reducing localized pollution but see the concentrated effort in trying to merge the 2 different subjects and then just throw their hands in the air?

I would then theorize that tying in the 2 subjects accomplishes the exact opposite of what they are trying to do.

Why can't we just try and clean up our local environment for a start and see where it goes from there?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Last time he said ET wanna kill us. Now this. I think he's bored.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

“We are close to the tipping point where global warming becomes irreversible. Trump’s action could push the Earth over the brink, to become like Venus, with a temperature of two hundred and fifty degrees, and raining sulphuric acid,” he told BBC News.
That is so stupid and ignorant I find it hard to believe that is what he actually said.
I can only conclude that the Russians have hacked Hawking’s laptop…… if these were indeed ‘his’ utterings then he’s been bought, pure and simple.

edit on 8-7-2017 by Ravie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I notice Stephen Hawking threads popping up here on ATS every 45 to 60 days.

He must be pretty accurate, eh?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join