It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion on Omar Khadr case. Did he deserve amends?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
We all know he killed a soldier when he was 15, was involved in other terrorist cases and how he was amended 10mil. because of a charter right being violated.

What is your opinion?

I'm bit iffy. I understand if someone charter rights being violated. There should be amends but I think 10 mil. is over blown (or maybe not because supposedly there was torture involved). There probably worse cases in his case that only got maybe a few grand.

I don't know. (personally I find him very intimidating and no it's not because of his skin color or w/e. He just looks like one those men who look mean. Those two different set of eyes are trippy and feel off about him).

I think if Omar truly feels guilt. He should make a donation to the soldier family but that just me (wishful thinking I guess).

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainHook

I'm pretty pissed at this thread. I want to contribute for ATS sake but I don't know what I could add. I just happen to be on the other side of the spectrum. He should be in jail for life.
edit on 8-7-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I am totally disgusted by this whole thing.
He killed an allied soldier for his Jihadi garbage.

He doesn't deserve 10 million dollars...he deserves to have his citizenship revoked and to be deported.

It makes me sick and ashamed.

Trudeau just made a fool of himself and our country.

Another edit.
How much of that money will he give to that American soldier's family for killing him and leaving his kids to grow up without a father??
I'm sure he is REAL sorry!!

edit on 8-7-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The US literally kidnapped him, and forced him into the worst detention center that the US has full access to.
They then lock him up and throw the key away.

RCMP, not Canadian intelligence or military, finds out and goes into investigation.
US play the field and attempt to keep him under terrorism charges, RCMP pushes, and pushes, they finally get him out.

It was out of the laws of the United states now, and back in the hands of Canadian law.
In court, you cannot fight against the charter of rights unless it's a safety violation in the work place, ie a respirator and you refusing to shave for a fit test because of religious reasons.

The issue started when the Canadian government didn't get involved in the first place or fought to prove he had terrorist affiliations, otherwise he would still be in gitmo and no - one would know who he was anymore.

Honestly, him just being brought back to Canada should be enough to be grateful. Why the 10.5 Million, it boggles my mind.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Nope.

He was a Canadian Citizen, who had his charter rights violated by a foreign government, as well as his own government.

He was a child soldier in the war. He was tortured repeatedly during his detention. We may not agree, but the Supreme Court ruled that the government had failed to honour their obligations.

In that case, the court dealt with the visit of CSIS and Foreign Affairs officials to the prison in 2003 and 2004, under the previous Liberal government.

"The deprivation of [Khadr's] right to liberty and security of the person is not in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice," the court ruled.

"The interrogation of a youth detained without access to counsel, to elicit statements about serious criminal charges while knowing that the youth had been subjected to sleep deprivation and while knowing that the fruits of the interrogations would be shared with the prosecutors, offends the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects."

Source

That soldier who died, I hate to put it bluntly but he was there of his own free will, not because he was brain washed as a child and sent to fight in a war he had nothing to do with. I don't agree with Omar's actions, I obviously condemn them, even as a child soldier.

But the reason he is getting this money is NOT because of his actions that day, it's because of the actions of the Canadian Government, while he was detained at Guantanamo.

ETA: I don't agree with the payout however. The apology, absolutely.

~Tenth
edit on 7/8/2017 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I read by several comments that he actually left Canada to live in whatever place he was in. :/

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainHook
I read by several comments that he actually left Canada to live in whatever place he was in. :/

His father basically forced him to leave. It was not his choice.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainHook

Probably more of a safety issue don't you think? Half of Canada would sooner see him dead.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I meant when he was commiting the acts.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

ah ok

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

We have allies and enemies...he was clearly not an ally to us or the US.
He wiped his ass with his Canadian citizenship and shouldn't be able to hide behind his rights when it suits him.

I don't have the right to go fight for a terrorist group do I??

Ismael Habib is the first adult to proceed to trial on charges of attempting to leave Canada to participate in the activities of a terrorist group — a section of the Anti-terrorism Act enacted by the Stephen Harper government in 2013.

I realize the law came in 2013 but still?

There is so much wrong with this.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

We have to take into account the fact that he was a kid.

A murder charge and a terrorism charge aren't all that different when it's just the 1 person involved. We would never have treated a murder suspect that way, without the 'terrorism' label attached to it.

He should have been remanded into Canadian custody when he was interviewed by Canadian officials at Guantanamo and then subject to trial/incarceration based on his crimes.

The torture, plus the failure of our government to act for what amounts almost a decade - is why he's being compensated and apologised to. Now the one very interesting thing is that the Supreme Court didn't bother to provide any guidance on what the solution should have been - a huge mistake in my mind.

~Tenth

I may not agree with it but I can understand why it's happening.
edit on 7/8/2017 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The law protects every Canadian, this including Omar. Rights are given automatically, not what you, me or the government agree to of whom gets them that is the thing.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just another Jihadi scumbag that deserves 5.56 in the face.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
He shouldve been killed at the time he threw the grenade and killed the american sergeant .

Only thing he deserves is to become fertilizer .

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think it aught to be made very clear. This man was captured, without doubt attacking American forces. Whether he killed anyone is neither here nor there. At that time he was an enemy of America. The Americans captured him (not withstanding he was seriously injured and the Americans gave him medical assistance to survive) and put him in their camp.
No matter what nationality he was, it happened to be Canadian, Canada had absolutely no right to ask for him back.
Yes, they could monitor his treatment in captivity through the red cross but he should not have got a get out of jail card from Canada.
These people should not get any choice to one minute fight for a foreign army (for that's what they are) and the next cry that they are civilians and as such have more rights than what an enemy combatant has.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

How much of that money do you think will be used to fund terrorism?

Possibly IN CANADA.

edit on 7 9 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn
Do you even hear yourself talk? You're advocating shooting a man in the face who was never convicted of anything!! Nobody witnessed him throw the grenade! The conflicting reports even caused the official statement to be altered! He might not even be guilty and yet he was tortured for years in Guantanamo to force a confession without trial!

Ironic how you dont care for due process that you fought for.

And everyone blaming Trudeau is f#king blind, it was Harper who refused to give a fair trial, spitting on Canadian law. Why do people comment emotionally without reading the facts?

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya

Shut the hell up.

He was caught on the battlefield doing what Jihadis like to do.

You're right though. 5.56 just isn't adequate for this.

I'll volunteer to kick him out of my helicopter at 10k feet.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn
No, I won't stop speaking out for due process just because your principles are paper-thin.

Part of his plea agreement was that your government would destroy all evidence and never allow forensic testing. Yeah, sounds like they're not covering anything. If he was guilty he should have faced a trial and thrown his ass in jail. Your government and mine both violated due process, fabricated evidence, and lied about it, but you don't care.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join