It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

no sleeveless dresses for women in the house lobby

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Shamrock6

a reply to: Shamrock6

I asked if men could wear sleeveless shirts, this was TinySickTears response

are men women?
men have to wear a jacket and tie

i said that already

women and men dont dress the same

I don't see anything wrong with the dress code

"Cool argument."

Tiny still said nothing about women being able to do what they want while men can't.

I would guess it was men who originally made up the dress code.

I would guess it's what men have decided is appropriate.

Now that we have, basically, male Fundamentalists running things - - - women need to cover up. Burka next?

So men made a dress code where males have to cover more than women and you feel the man is putting women down?

What's next, you blame men for allowing skirts to see legs and objectify women?

This isn't a gender issue, it's a if you want a job working in the running of society there are presentation standards in the hollowed halls.

Males don't wear suits to cover up. Suits are like a uniform. It's like school uniforms - - - no one stands out above another. The purpose of ties is to cover the buttons on a shirt.

Women in business - - a "man's world" is always a gender issue.

Sorry rules apply to both genders and you decide to perceive it as inequality.

People have to go by rules, men, women and people who don't identify as either.

Keep playing that man is keeping ya down card though because you can't wear a sleeveless shirt in one of the highest government buildings.

The rules?

You mean: Proper Dress?

Was there a problem before this current administration of women going sleeveless?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What I can't figure out is why 9 times out of 10 when a dress code gripe is brought up, we're always complaining about it in context of what women have to wear. No one ever complains much about what the men have to wear.

Agreed! As another poster brought up as well... And it's an excellent point.

I would absolutely hate wearing a tie. I can't stand anything around my throat anyway. But we expect men to wear several layers of clothing in the most miserable weather... and for what? And why not apply the same standards to women if we're going to go there? Why shouldn't women wear full suits and ties (or at least scarfs) in the same situations? Why pick and choose which body parts women can show or not... just make 'em cover it all just like men!

It just makes no sense...

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Considering you're 70 and you say the phrase is getting old... maybe it's time to consider that it's existed so long for a reason?

Just a thought...

edit on 8-7-2017 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

are men women?

i said that already

"Cool argument."

Tiny still said nothing about women being able to do what they want while men can't.

Now that we have, basically, male Fundamentalists running things - - - women need to cover up. Burka next?

So men made a dress code where males have to cover more than women and you feel the man is putting women down?

This isn't a gender issue, it's a if you want a job working in the running of society there are presentation standards in the hollowed halls.

Males don't wear suits to cover up. Suits are like a uniform. It's like school uniforms - - - no one stands out above another. The purpose of ties is to cover the buttons on a shirt.

Keep playing that man is keeping ya down card though because you can't wear a sleeveless shirt in one of the highest government buildings.

The rules?

Was there a problem before this current administration of women going sleeveless?

Nope, never been a problem for anyone.

In some buildings and situations it is though.

Again, go to most courthouses in the country and you'll encounter the same thing.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Why do businessmen wear suits?

Back in the good old days of renaissance, there was no yelp or glassdoor. It was hard to tell if a businessman was honest or not. One way to find out, was to assume that if a merchant was successful, he must be honest. If he is honest, dealing with him would mean smaller risk; for only good and honest people succeed.

Merchants and businessmen therefore, realized that appearing rich and projecting success brought in more business. So they wore fancy clothes to look rich and to attract more business.
www.quora.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

are men women?

i said that already

"Cool argument."

The rules?

Nope, never been a problem for anyone.

In some buildings and situations it is though.

Again, go to most courthouses in the country and you'll encounter the same thing.

When did sleeveless start becoming a problem?

We're not talking boobs hanging out.

Fact is some Christian Fundamentalism are opposed to women showing their upper arm/shoulder.

edit on 8-7-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Sleeveless shirts with ties. Only the Chippendale dancers are allowed that costume.
Or just collars and ties and a little Speedo.

God its hot in here isn't it?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's called "tradition", that thing some like to piss all over because they think it is cool.

..also culture. Having official dress codes has been a part of our culture for all time. There are some who see tradition and culture as things to be destroyed, sadly.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

There it is, absolute proof sleeveless shirts are just to keep women and their shoulders down. (in very isolated cases i.e government buildings) hahahahaha.

Write your congressman, wait no, congresslady

F the the man! Asking women to wear a full shirt in buildings that are running the country.

What's next? Covering belly buttons? What is this, the middle east? Oh way, Progressives love the middle east and there ways.

Damn this is confusing.
edit on 8-7-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I guess I'll ask the obvious question...

Why do woman want to show their toes and shoulders so badly that they have to create an issue when asked to adhere to a specific dress code?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Fact is some Christian Fundamentalism are opposed to women showing their upper arm/shoulder.

Not true, when I used to get forced to go to church I saw plenty of sleeveless dresses.

Its just in some government buildings. It's to imply a code of conduct, you know, the whole job of the government.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I think because they are considered too casual . Or they're afraid those heavy law books may break a toe if you drop one...Opening them up to lawsuits.

My husband was working at a site once that required the men to wear steele toed shoes.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I think because they are considered too casual . Or they're afraid those heavy law books may break a toe if you drop one...Opening them up to lawsuits.

My husband was working at a site once that required the men to wear steele toed shoes.

I have to wear metatarsal boots every day.
I wear them out of work a lot too

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This article is about Jamaica - - - is this where DC is headed?

Are we now going to see T-shirt sellers outside government buildings providing shoulder/arm covers for "inappropriately dressed women"?

THE high collars and covered arms and legs reminiscent of the Victorian era should have little place in modern society, yet the requirement for women to be covered is still a mainstay of many organisations, and increasingly schools, in Jamaica.

This was evidenced by a businesswoman who shared her experience on Facebook last week, after she was turned away from doing business at the Kingston and St Andrew Corporation because she was wearing a dress with capped sleeves.

It's an experience shared time and again by people who have had to visit agencies like the Registrar General's Department, where there is a thriving T-shirt-selling business outside for the hapless person who may not have been aware of the rule that they can't expose their armpits, shoulders, or even toes in some cases. And ludicrous as it is in the tropics, the rule has remained unchallenged for years.

For many these rules smack of Christian fundamentalism, and even a push to sexualise women's bodies. In evangelical Christendom, exposure means immodesty -- the excuse given during an evangelical youth meeting in Kingston recently for banning sleeveless clothing was that some men are tempted by armpits!

But from the experts there's a warning that this oversexualising is as bad as what obtains in rape culture, where some people believe women ask to be raped because of the clothes they wear. www.jamaicaobserver.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
I guess I'll ask the obvious question...

Why do woman want to show their toes and shoulders so badly that they have to create an issue when asked to adhere to a specific dress code?

Quite simple. As children we were taught to clean our "head, shoulders knees and toes". There's a song about it.

If you don't show them, they might be dirty.

Who could trust you then.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

They still wear those silly wigs in parliament in the UK .
Talk about archaic dress codes.
Our judges still wear robes.
Doctors wear white lab coats, firemen red jackets and police in blue.
The armed services all have uniforms. A very strict dress code where everybody wears exactly what everybody else is wearing.
Some rules are more tradition than just rule.
edit on 782017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Not true, when I used to get forced to go to church I saw plenty of sleeveless dresses.

Its just in some government buildings. It's to imply a code of conduct, you know, the whole job of the government.

It is absolutely true.

Just because your church didn't require women to cover their shoulders - - - doesn't mean others don't.

I know they do.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

They still wear those silly wigs in parliament in the UK .
Talk about archaic dress codes.
Our judges still wear robes.
Some rules are more tradition than just rule.

LOL

At least its by choice now for parliament to wear wigs. It's not required.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

You ever walked around for hours with your toes stuffed into high heels?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It is absolutely true.

Just because your church didn't require women to cover their shoulders - - - doesn't mean others don't.

I know they do.

What are you waiting for?

Time for a new thread on how minority fundamentalist Christians are keeping women down in government buildings by forcing them to wear at least a T-shirt. That's why there is a wage gap.

Am I right?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join