It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

no sleeveless dresses for women in the house lobby

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not a bigot. I dislike all organized religions.

Disliking them all doesn't lessen your intolerance one whit. You are bigoted against religion, enough that you are like Annee and blaming religion for something it didn't do.

PLease read this link by a fashion expert on business attire.

It is about looking competent and professional to the largest amount of people. Like it or not, it means dressing conservatively among other things. And you can partially thank PC culture for it because it's about not offending people because you want to please your clients, not make them doubt you, man or woman. So you dress like the competent, powerful professional you are, not a fashion plate or sex symbol.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Thank you. Excellent point.

This country is free, it is not run by religion.

You have the right to work at a professional business that has high requirements, or you can work at a beach snack shack.

If the beach snack shack tank top, booty shorts, and flip flop are to close to sharia law, their are plenty of fine strip clubs peppered around the country.

We as citizens have the choice of many of the rules we must follow.

Dictating how businesses are run is something that happens in societies that aren't free.
edit on 8-7-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Honestly, I'll mention that husband and I use our wardrobe as a weapon on a day to day basis.

If you dress like a slob, you get treated like one. So we will go to places with badgering salesmen and dress like slobs. They will ignore us assuming we have no money.

If we want attention, we dress to get it. And it works.

You wardrobe is a weapon, and professional dress is no different.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

And men probably aren't allowed rigger boots and t shirts there.

Its not an anti woman thing, it's just an expectation of how someone should portray themselves in a certain environment.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
im still curious as to why a woman showing toe or shoulder is inappropriate.
makes no sense

and open toed shoes or a sleeveless dress is a far cry from dressing like a slob or dressing for the snack shack

why take it to the extreme?

2017 and cant see toe?
thats hilarious

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Absolutely!!

One of my mentors back when I first began moving up in the commercial fishing processing industry told me that. When you're on the dock with the boys, dress like the boys. When you're in the board room...like wise. If you want to individualize, use your tie or your socks, otherwise take and make wise choices.

I spent my entire first two paychecks after that promotion on two hand tailored suits from Savile Row. Still have 'em, though they don't fit quite as well as they used to. Middle age spread sucks.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

What does she think of the bingo wings?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

No, you don't. Not if you want to be taken seriously, and have your opinion/ideas listened to.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

It's how the game is played.

...and at that level, the rules are iron-clad. On the face of it, yeah, absurd. I shouldn't have to spend the near entirety of two paychecks for Savile Row, either...but that's the way it goes, and it's not going to change anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

It's how the game is played.

...and at that level, the rules are iron-clad. On the face of it, yeah, absurd. I shouldn't have to spend the near entirety of two paychecks for Savile Row, either...but that's the way it goes, and it's not going to change anytime soon.

i know its how it is played but it is funny and often makes no sense

you just had to buy suits from the best suit joint ever?
some nice # from the mens store wouldnt work?

i thought saville row was a london thing

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

These ridiculous comparisons are - - - well ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Women in business - - a "man's world" is always a gender issue.

Calm down sweetheart. No need to get yourself all worked up.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam

I'm not. I'm 70.

What I had to put up with - - and what women have to put up with today aren't even in the same ballpark.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Sleevless dresses and blouses are only worn by women seeking sex? I rest my case.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

What I had to put up with - - and what women have to put up with today aren't even in the same ballpark.

You don't have to tell me, I'm older and I remember. Those were the days, weren't they?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

You can get Savile Row at, or you used to be able to, some of the higher end stores, not all of them, but some.

...and, yeah, I could have just gone to a mens warehouse, but I figured it was best to go with the best, especially since I was going to be the "new kid".

When one is helping negotiate million dollar contracts...everything you do, or wear, needs to be carefully selected for the effect it may have. Clothing has the possibility of making or breaking the deal, so you do what you got to do.

Many times the rules I would run up against made me go "WTF"? Especially with Asians. In the industry I was in, it was mostly Japanese and Korean...strange could be an understatement...
. It was fun for a couple of years, but it turned out to be not to my tastes, so I stepped away and concentrated on the production end of things. I like to think I was fairly useful.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: SprocketUK

These ridiculous comparisons are - - - well ridiculous.

Ok, to be more "reasonable" then.

Turn up in brown, suede shoes to a job interview and see how well you do as a man... Open toed shoes are more "evening wear" for women, hence the expectation that they wear close toed ones in certain environments, just as brown shoes or suede ones are regarded as casual wear for men. Same as blazers rather than actual, matching suits.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

You don't have to tell me, I'm older and I remember. Those were the days, weren't they?

LOL - - Oh yeah!

Locked in a closet or the bosses office - - with no legal recourse.

Keep your mouth shut or lose your job.

Great times.

edit on 8-7-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I'm not. I'm 70.

You didn't have to put up with it, you chose to.

You could have started your own business.

The problem with this country is entitled brats who want to tell business owners how to run what they built.

As far as the government, it shouldn't be glamorous. They're supposed to be civil servants.

Its no different from the military having dress codes, fatigues while on base, and dressed up for ceremonial events.

Its respect and civility. It's not a hard concept, and no, it has nothing to do with gender.

You choose to make it about gender.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I'm not. I'm 70.

You're right. I'm sure my grandmother, were she still alive, would be embarrassed that having to adhere to a dress code that everybody else has to adhere to is now considered "oppression" and "a slight."

#sleevesaregenocide

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join