It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

no sleeveless dresses for women in the house lobby

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

The Cabinet has no power over the dress code of Congress. They are entirely separate branches of the government.

In this case though, isn't it Congress.

BTW - - I'm the one who used the term Cabinet. I got lazy.

But, interesting that that's what was chosen to nit pick.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

We women are really slow to understand this issue

As evidenced in this thread, some of you certainly are.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: ketsuko

The overzealousness cry for equality may backfire! I certainly would not want to have an equal dress code as the males! UGH!

Do you think your male co-workers would like this?

IMO - - men want women to look like women. Men (IMO) still like women in dresses.

I still say - - - the anti bare shoulder is religious related.

Nowadays, in the corporate world? I think most men would prefer the women did dress the same as them. I know I had always had no trouble getting promotions or raises. I was advised correctly to emulate your bosses code of dress. They tend to see you as one of them. That respect gets you halfway through proving you deserve that promotion or salary increase.

I'm like you BTW.

I "read" what would work best for me to impress he/she superior as needed.

Not everyone is willing to "play the game".

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I'm sure tank tops are not proper attire for business since their beginnings. My mother wore sleeveless dresses in the 50's. I think this is Christian sharia law. Equating a woman's sleeveless office attire with tank tops, so it must be forbidden because of the weakness of men.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The Cabinet has no power over the dress code of Congress. They are entirely separate branches of the government.

Not really. You're the one who blamed all this on the Cabinet so you could blame religious fundies.

If you didn't want that brought into it, you shouldn't have gone there.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Well that and we have to show dominance by being the only ones who can wear sleeveless. /sarc

Keep in mind this story is about a high profile government building.

It's a matter of everyone abiding by a dress code to keep a professional code of conduct.

This is not a gender issue, it's a respect issue.

If someone can't wear sleeves a few days a week then get a job at a beach snack shack.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

We women are really slow to understand this issue

As evidenced in this thread, some of you certainly are.

Understand what? That some women apparently feel bad because sleeveless attire isn't business appropriate in places? According to the link I posted, it's a fairly common thing to not be appropriate even in business casual places unless it's covered by a blazer or cardigan.

It isn't professional in most places. That's the way it is, and that's the way it is in the capitol.

Good grief! You'd think you would have more important things to protest like honor killings in the ME or something.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Changing the rules every step through the argument.

You're very convincing and very constructive for the feminist movement.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Not sure you meant that for me? Kinda feel like we've been on the same side of this conversation...

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I thought that people might be implying the Trump administration had something to do with the code. That's way I brought up that point.

link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Not sure you meant that for me? Kinda feel like we've been on the same side of this conversation...

No, I mixed you up with someone else. Sorry.

link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I am 67 and I have never worked at anywhere from Illinois to Idaho that forbid sleeveless dresses or blouses. I never worked for a religious owned or held institution so I'm sure sharia law goes on in those places of employment.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

The OP is not about all businesses, it's about the highest levels of our government. It's not a vacation, it's not a luxury job, and it sure as hell gets abused enough.

So we don't need fashion contests when bills are being passed. It's supposed to be a civil servants job.

It's all a choice. Don't like it? Don't apply.

As for private businesses, they are that. Asking an employee to adhere to a dress code is part of an employee employer contract. Don't like it? Don't apply.

Go to the Middle East, mainly SA. You think sleeves are sharia law? Then you're a closed minded spoiled American.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Different places have different dress codes.

As a man, try getting in there in jeans and a Harley tee.

Lots of places have dress codes. ya wanna get in, obey the rules.

www.ascot.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

There are a ton of others.
For example, when we fetch up at the club enclosure for the Chelteham festival, wifey and I wear tweed. Just like everyone else in that part of the course, if you get tickets for the Best mate stand, you can wear jeans.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I am 67 and I have never worked at anywhere from Illinois to Idaho that forbid sleeveless dresses or blouses. I never worked for a religious owned or held institution so I'm sure sharia law goes on in those places of employment.

So we see another bigot.

Business attire has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with professionalism. The two concepts are unrelated.

I've worked at several places in my time. Some required sleeves and others did not. It all depended on what the office culture was. And none of them were religious in nature.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I'm not a bigot. I dislike all organized religions.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I thought that people might be implying the Trump administration had something to do with the code. That's way I brought up that point.

I am implying the Fundamental Christian aspect of his "whatever" people is influencing this no sleeveless dresses or open toe shoes for women.

I said "Cabinet" - - which someone took issue with.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

No one is debating or arguing that there aren't dress codes in business.

This is explicitly about women not being allowed to wear sleeveless attire or open toed shoes.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Seems unlikely.

Not sure what the deal is, it's a dress code. Dress professionally. Men--shirt and tie w/jacket. Women--whatever suitable business attire is for an important meeting, since my days of business meetings are over, and they never included business attire anyway, I've no idea what is, or isn't, appropriate for a woman to wear.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Whew. For a moment I was all

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join