It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

no sleeveless dresses for women in the house lobby

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
i guess we are still living in the 50's

i wouldnt have thought this would be a big deal

this is not about trump or his admin or anything like that. just seems silly to me that in 2017 is woman cant even wear a sleeveless dress in the house lobby

www.cbsnews.com...

A young, female reporter recently tried to enter a guarded room known as the Speaker's lobby outside the House chamber, but her outfit was considered inappropriate because her shoulders weren't covered. She was wearing a sleeveless dress. Forced to improvise, she ripped out pages from her notebook and stuffed them into her dress's shoulder openings to create sleeves, witnesses said. An officer who's tasked with enforcing rules in the Speaker's lobby said her creative concoction still was not acceptable.

men are expected to wear suit jackets and ties in the House chamber and Speaker's lobby. Women, on the other hand, have been told they're not allowed to wear sleeveless blouses or dresses, sneakers or open-toed shoes. These rules are far from clear cut and there are no visible signs defining them. They are also not enforced on the Senate side of the Capitol.

so apparently there is a code for men too.
suit jacket and tie seems reasonable....i guess

why is the jacket a must though? cant wear a long sleeve button up with a tie or with a sweater over top?

the no open toed shoes thing or the sleeveless dress thing i dont get though?
are open toed shoes and a dress with no sleeves looked at as unprofessional?

plus we are only talking about the lobby...

There have been exceptions to these so-called rules, of course. Former first lady Michelle Obama wore sleeveless dresses to several State of the Union addresses inside the House chamber. President Trump's daughter, Ivanka, was spotted in the House gallery during her father's joint address to Congress in February wearing a slightly off-the-shoulder dress with what appeared to be her bra strap showing

just seems strange to me

what do you think?

i admit i know jack # about 'proper' attire for the situation. im a jeans and t shirt guy. i worse a suit when i got married. thats it

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
Best check yo source..
The liberal reporting on sleeveless dresses in the Capitol is monumentally false and stupid
On a side note:
Is your lack of capitalization something picked up from twitter?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I'd make all the hot politicians dress up like you-know-who from the Borg. Just the hot ones - the rest should be made to wear wet-weather gear (fluro).

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
That's a little hard to believe for 2017. Talk about antiquated. We are still telling people how to dress. Of course, Moochelle could do no harm plus those mighty muscular shoulders were considered her best asset.

Definitely time time to change those rules. How dumb.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Even if this is true... How are dress codes regressive?

Plenty of restaurants and local government buildings have them.

Go to court and there is a dress code.

If you go to a bar with no dress code, the conduct is different of that of one with a dress code.

People act inherently different while dressed more fitting for certain environments.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I believe the dress code at the Capitol should be "court room" attire. And, not TV Court Room attire either!

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Best check yo source..
The liberal reporting on sleeveless dresses in the Capitol is monumentally false and stupid
On a side note:
Is your lack of capitalization something picked up from twitter?

i dont use twitter
i dont use caps cause i just dont care to

and whats the point of posting your article?

did you check yo source?
there is a dress code.

your article talks about how paul ryan is not the one responsible for it or what happened. i never said he was

so again what is your point?

This flat-out embarrassing narrative begins with a CBS News report titled, "Are sleeveless dresses ‘appropriate attire'? Congress doesn't think so." The article itself is fun, and it goes over the details of the Speaker's lobby dress code, which requires that men wear jackets and ties and that women dress "appropriately," meaning no sleeveless dresses or open-toe shoes. The dress code is loosely defined, and enforcement depends on who's doing the enforcing. The code is not new, it applies specifically to the Speaker's lobby and it has been this way for many, many, many years.

im interested in talking about what people think about the dress code
you know the one that exists even though youre trying to be a smart ass and roll through like its not and oh snap lets ask about my capitalization too

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Can men wear sleeveless shirts in there?

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Even if this is true... How are dress codes regressive?

Plenty of restaurants and local government buildings have them.

Go to court and there is a dress code.

If you go to a bar with no dress code, the conduct is different of that of one with a dress code.

People act inherently different while dressed more fitting for certain environments.

im not saying there should be no dress code

i just dont get why opened toed shoes or dresses with no sleeves are not allowed

i also asked if theyre considered unprofessional cause i know # about this stuff.

just seems silly. its 2017
its not like a sleeveless dress or some heels that show a toe are lounge wear

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

are men women?
men have to wear a jacket and tie

i said that already

women and men dont dress the same

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

are men women?
men have to wear a jacket and tie

i said that already

women and men dont dress the same

Cool argument.

Sorry the times aren't progressive enough where women can do whatever and men can't.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

my opinion is it is silly

i also asked a couple times if they are considered unprofessional cause i dont know

apparently people just want to argue and talk # and post articles to dispute what i posted even though i said nothing that was not true

i would think we are progressive enough that a woman can wear a sleeveless dress or a man can forget about the jacket

i guess i didnt realize how important dumb # like that is

edit on 8-7-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Go to a Nascar race and watch the 50 year old woman rooting for Dale Jr every lap by waving her arm in the air with a sleeveless shirt... then think about that disgusting flabby arm fat being out in the open and on display in the halls of the White House or any other professional building.

Dress codes are there for a reason... and I'm thankful for it.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
That's a little hard to believe for 2017. Talk about antiquated. We are still telling people how to dress. Of course, Moochelle could do no harm plus those mighty muscular shoulders were considered her best asset.

Definitely time time to change those rules. How dumb.

It is a workplace, and just like any workplace, it's free to set a dress code. I don't know about you, but just about every place I have ever worked has had a dress code of some kind, from the silly shirts/pants ensembles of fast food to the more business friendly wardrobes required at offices. I know the place I work at now does not want low-cut cleavages but is otherwise office casual. You can wear sleeveless, but no one ever does because the place is frickin' freezing even in the summer when you might think about it.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

my opinion is it is silly

i also asked a couple times if they are considered unprofessional cause i dont know

apparently people just want to argue and talk # and post articles to dispute what i posted even though i said nothing that was not true

You posted an article that said people have to dress similar to local government establishments.

Its in the mudpit.

Now you're surprised we aren't.

She can go to Walmart and wear that.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

dress codes to change though

as the article said at one point the men all had to wear hats

i never said no dress code...
i just dont see a sleeveless dress or no suit jacket as a big deal

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

didnt realize threads in the mud pit had to be argumentative

lesson learned i guess

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Soon, we will be wondering why one has to know how to play baseball before getting a 100 million dollars contract with the MLB...

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Yeah, well, that's you. Run your business and set your dress code.

Congress operates differently. Most days, they are wearing suits, all of them.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

"I'm not pissin' nothin' away alright? I got a Porsche. I got a 911 with a quadraphonic Blaupunkt.

WHAT YOU NEED IS A CURVEBALL! IN THE SHOW ANYBODY CAN HIT A FASTBALL! "

Name that movie...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join