It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IN a SHTF scenario this is the best way to go.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I have been looking at low tech alternatives to gasoline, and had a nice surprise that the answer to keep the car or truck running , is as simple as grabbing a few sticks from the side of the road, in these examples extensively used in Europe during the second world war, with a few modern updates energy needs seem to be no real problem.One guy was running a generator, and thought he'd just try sticks that he collected out in the forest, the drop off in power that came out of the generator was negligible compared to the dry stacked stuff he normally used. As a side note the gassier stoves that burn from the top down, produce gas for about an hour r, with the end result usable charcoal which can be used again.www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Not sure what you're trying to get across here - using 'sticks' - but - there's your video.

I mean I get what you mean - using fire/sticks - but I have no idea how it works even after watching the vid.

Cool though.

Have a great night.
edit on 3838Friday201713 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

So a dude adjusting a carburetor, makes you think that an internal combustion engine can run on. . ? What exactly, smoke. . , steam power. . , unicorn farts?
Can someone explain to me what is the power source, and what is it powering?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I think he means wood gasification.

A sealed container of wood is heated until the volatiles in the wood turn to gas and are pumped out and burnt in the engine of the car. When no more gas comes off you have charcoal left in the container.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Carbon Monoxide

carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of materials containing carbon. Carbon monoxide is flammable. Mixtures of carbon monoxide and air in the flammable range will ignite if a flame or a spark is present. Flammable Range (in air by volume) is 12.5 to 74%

Basically you burn materials containing carbon to create Carbon Monoxide in a concentration that is flammable and feed the gas into the combustion chamber of the engine.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

The gases released in wood burning do not equate to liquid fuel, they would choke a diesel or gasoline engine, and the carbon residue would mess with an electric engine. The only engine I know of that this might work with is a steam engine (turbine) but the video shows a air filter over carburetor set up. So to me it's a liquid fuel engine and a whole bunch of weight in the back to fool folks.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I was just going from a charcoal maker I once saw that used the gas coming off the container to help heat the container when making charcoal.

This is not some new invention that someone is trying to fool people with. It is old tech. Wood gas. Seems like there is a little more to it than what I posted, but not much.

In some gasifiers this process is preceded by pyrolysis, where the biomass or coal is first converted to char, releasing methane and tar rich in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

edit on 7-7-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: oddnutz

Carbon monoxide is one of the pollutant gasses released from car exhaust currently. It displaces oxygen. Without oxygen there is no combustion.
Care to try again?

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Thanks. I learned something new.
It doesn't change my skepticism of this video, but I did learn special engine components can be built to run off of wood gasification.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
For everyone doubting , there are places to buy the kit online . And this has been on television on survival shows.
I actually may purchase a kit and keep it handy . Will go well with my bug out location.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I've seen wood gas would in a number of videos. It was featured in the colony when they ran their gas generator on it. It seems that it definitely works. It's labor and equipment intensive and not really portable. Only working vehicles I've seen it takes the whole back of the truck.

Doesn't appear to be really reliable and seems to cause build up in carbs also. Wouldn't work on fuel injection or anything with a computer controlling emissions. So you'd need specific set up.

Better off getting Diesel IMO. Lots of alternatives to diesel if you have a basic non computerized engine, like a on a generator.

Differently an option, probably not the best option. But you'd have plenty of charcoal to trade.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I guess everybody's lazy tonight...

oh, yeah... WAR DAMN EAGLE!

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

At work with poor reception and on mobile data. Takes forever to find and post YouTube videos. Took about 20 minutes to post my basic reply

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Virole
I've seen wood gas would in a number of videos. It was featured in the colony when they ran their gas generator on it. It seems that it definitely works. It's labor and equipment intensive and not really portable. Only working vehicles I've seen it takes the whole back of the truck.

Doesn't appear to be really reliable and seems to cause build up in carbs also. Wouldn't work on fuel injection or anything with a computer controlling emissions. So you'd need specific set up.

Better off getting Diesel IMO. Lots of alternatives to diesel if you have a basic non computerized engine, like a on a generator.

Differently an option, probably not the best option. But you'd have plenty of charcoal to trade.

I think the object is to get around after a SHTF scenario . Not how fast you can go , nor efficiency .
Diesel nor any other fuel will be available in just about any scenario.
Mobility . Simple , natural fuel . Readily available.
edit on 7/7/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I know. I just meant you can run a basic diesel engine on all kind of stuff. Peanut oil, transmission fluid, kerosene, hydralic oil, even mixed used motor oil. There will be plenty of out of gas cars to get tranny fluid from. Proper filtering is the key. Can't get water in the fuel and learning the ratios for what your using.

On the colony they built a golf cart that was charged by solar panels on the roof. I'm not saving this isn't feasible, I'm just doubtful it's the "best".

Depends on if you're talking, months, years, or generations without power. The latter case, yeah it's probably best. But six month to a year, probably not.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You can always cut holes in the floor and drive with your feet.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Virole
a reply to: Gothmog

I know. I just meant you can run a basic diesel engine on all kind of stuff. Peanut oil, transmission fluid, kerosene, hydralic oil, even mixed used motor oil. There will be plenty of out of gas cars to get tranny fluid from. Proper filtering is the key. Can't get water in the fuel and learning the ratios for what your using.

On the colony they built a golf cart that was charged by solar panels on the roof. I'm not saving this isn't feasible, I'm just doubtful it's the "best".

Depends on if you're talking, months, years, or generations without power. The latter case, yeah it's probably best. But six month to a year, probably not.

Remember , society would break down really , really fast in tightly populated areas. You really want to go into town and try to bargain ?
Even after a couple of days , not a wise decision

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This seems a little more fuel efficient...

Link

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

The gases released in wood burning do not equate to liquid fuel, they would choke a diesel or gasoline engine, and the carbon residue would mess with an electric engine. The only engine I know of that this might work with is a steam engine (turbine) but the video shows a air filter over carburetor set up. So to me it's a liquid fuel engine and a whole bunch of weight in the back to fool folks.

NOPE. Decades old technology. Wood gas. Literally. Gasified volatiles from heating/combusting wood.

Actually, the reason this works is the same reason that a Rocket Stoves are massively more efficient than plain wood burning stoves. There are flammable secondary gasses that can be burned.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
You can always cut holes in the floor and drive with your feet.

Yup.
Like Fred Flinstone driving around on bald feet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join