It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Desert Monkey Facility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The Desert Monkey Facility

I caught this video circulating around, as others may have(such as far away as in Miami News):

"Monkeys still living in abandoned Mesa monkey farm?"

Locals had contacted the news about a chimpanzee farm, currently active monkeys(Pigtail Macaques) that was supposed to be shut down. As discussed in the video people investigating the find were met with opposition. When that first news video was posted, the question still out there as to what was going on due to the busy Holiday weekday, other.

Upon looking more into it have found some updates from the news as well.

"Employees speak out about chimpanzees in desert "

Ex employees explain what they know about the facility. One mentions it wasn't meant to house chimpanzees(back when it was doing that).
"Arizona breeding colony" looking for lab techs was posted in an ad.
They bring up the issues of fines being issues due to mistreatment of other animals.

"Monkey facility run by out-of-state university"

The University of Washington's research lab leases the land where the facility is located. This is a federally funded facility. It houses the monkeys for boarding and breeding. No research is conducted there, but rather at the UW.

Update from Western Washington State News on this:

University of Washington Confirms It Runs Mesa Monkey farm

But the University of Washington put those rumors to rest, saying it's breeding pig-tailed macaque monkeys for research purposes as part of the Washington National Primate Research Center.

The University said there's no actual testing going on in Mesa, just the breeding program. And a university spokesperson said there is a team of employees taking care of the macaques. According to the National Institutes of Health, UW receives around $2 million a year to run the facility. But critics like Stop Animal Experimentation NOW (SAEN) point to University of Washington's past animal inspection history as evidence that they shouldn't be running any kind of animal testing facility.

The USDA inspects the facility where deaths of monkeys have happened due to procedures, attacking each other and one case where one passed from not having water for about three days-disconnected water tube(see here).

The University of Washington did not respond about USDA inspections or SAEN's(Animals Right's Group's) allegations.

"New operator of Mesa 'Monkey Farm' facility breeding primates for use in medical research"

The former "Monkey Farm" facility in Mesa is now a breeding center for primates used in medical research.

Drone footage posted to YouTube this past weekend showed monkeys walking around in a caged facility on Salt River-Pima Maricopa Indian Community land near Higley Road and Loop 202.

That facility was once home to the Primate Foundation of Arizona, a chimpanzee sanctuary turned medical-research facility. The site was often referred to as the Mesa Monkey Farm. The foundation shuttered in 2006.

Sour ce- AZCentral

This underground facility is one of the largest facilities of seven in the US for Primate Research(of course, includes vivisection). While the initial mystery is over, of what exactly is going on, there are still concerns looming the facility and it's care of the monkeys to the research labs practices.

"How one scientist came to defend animals used in research "

As the University of Washington builds a controversial, $124-million animal research and care facility, this former UW researcher says school officials have suppressed her data showing that some categories of monkeys used in its studies exhibited dramatically high levels of disturbing behavior not seen in the wild.

Source-LATimes

Article on a defender of these research animals.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I'm surprised the U of W with all the tree hugging, PETA loving liberals up there are not FREAKING OUT over this.

Not saying that Repugs don't care too - just floors me with all the 'save the world' philosophy that comes from the U of Dub the allow this to go on?

Hmmm... Now you've got me wanting to research this much more and you've got half the job done for me.

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

I'm surprised the U of W with all the tree hugging, PETA loving liberals up there are not FREAKING OUT over this.

Not saying that Repugs don't care too - just floors me with all the 'save the world' philosophy that comes from the U of Dub the allow this to go on?

Hmmm... Now you've got me wanting to research this much more and you've got half the job done for me.

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply. Last year there were protests against the building of the latest part of the research lab/ the underground part, but that's the last I've heard of demonstrations against it? Wonder too if this news will spark more interest in it.

I'll add more updates if they show up.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
They used wild monkeys, and subjected them to horrible sitcoms.

Sadly, the sitcoms outlived the monkeys... "Alf" is proof positive...

Many government agents were fired, of course...

edit on 7-7-2017 by madmac5150 because: Alien butt spanking

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Wtf..

so they just let those poor animals suffer to death after they are done experimenting on them
Those former workers must be some low level scum of the planet..

At least put them to sleep in a respectful manner, they deserve that at least after you where done violating nature

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

Thank you!

What do you mean by "FREAKING OUT"? There have been regular organized protests against the UW's animal testing practices. Unfortunately, there has been a long history of neglect and abuse (and quite a few questionable deaths) of animals in the UW's research facilities. Chances are that the few incidents that have been made public are really just the tip of a horrific iceberg.

new topics

top topics

join