It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, Russia announce Syria cease-fire after Trump-Putin talks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
HAMBURG, Germany — The United States and Russia struck an agreement Friday on a cease-fire in southwest Syria, crowning President Donald Trump's first meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin. It is the first U.S.-Russian effort under Trump's presidency to stem Syria's six-year civil war.

Cease-fire

Seems Trump is getting things done where Kerry failed...I guess doing it from the top is better than sending a henchman.

edit on 7-7-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
We'll we will see soon enough if Trump is really in charge or not.I give it about 48-72 hours before some mad General or spook black ops mission wrecks the ceasefire.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I.E., we promise not to shoot at each other, directly. Defacto partition. What the west always wanted, divide and conquer.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Interesting development. Can't see a cease fire lasting long.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yep a win for the USA they strung Russia along with false hopes of co-operation long enough to build 5 bases in Syria Washington will now be involved in the outcome.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Loving the optimism and positive replies.

Sometimes I think people want things to be worse, S&F.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It's a start - it seems Trump has immediately done more than Obama and Hillary could with their reset. It took him one meeting.

The enemy that will stand in the way of any lasting peace is on Trump's own doorstep though - the swamp in Washington has to be drained before any lasting cooperation between the US and Russia can be achieved.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

Yep a win for the USA they strung Russia along with false hopes of co-operation long enough to build 5 bases in Syria Washington will now be involved in the outcome.

Difference is they are invited.

Won't stop the west though, all they need is time and a safe space (called 'deconfliction zones' -- kudos to the lawyer dreamt up that one) to rearm and resupply before going at it again. Russia keeps blowing ups the insurgents command centers and ammo dumps.

If I were putin I'd agree to anything, chuckle, then blow up another ammo dump.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: chevweyed

Because "Cease Fires' don't mean anything.

Okay, stop shooting, for now.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

In 2014 the last time I looked SOCOM has special forces in 134 countries in conflict advising,training or fighting in over half these cases they are not invited so I wasnt commenting on that merely the fact that Russia has been outplayed.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Why have a "cease-fire"? I thought everyone wanted to keep fighting ISIS in Syria until they were annihilated.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Seems Trump is getting things done where Kerry failed

It's not really any different to the ceasefires Kerry agreed , this one is just as limited and only applies to certain parts in the south of Syria.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Why have a "cease-fire"? I thought everyone wanted to keep fighting ISIS in Syria until they were annihilated.

Until Assad is annihilated, you mean. Seems he's winning, With help, why the west is trying to play the Trump card.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Of course Trump is winning on the world stage, Obama ran around losing so much there was hardly any chance of Trump not winning. Tired of winning yet?

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So the Wests proxies are getting their butts handed to themselves again and they need Putin to give them some breaththing room to regroup and rearm. Same pile different day. Lets hope it backfires spectacularly.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
HAMBURG, Germany — The United States and Russia struck an agreement Friday on a cease-fire in southwest Syria, crowning President Donald Trump's first meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin. It is the first U.S.-Russian effort under Trump's presidency to stem Syria's six-year civil war.

Cease-fire

Seems Trump is getting things done where Kerry failed...I guess doing it from the top is better than sending a henchman.

Putin really looks small and insignificant in the shadow of Trump in that photo shot, what a winner!

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
the Syrian South West...

look at a map, look at a graphic of where opposing forces control sections of land

I guess a cease-fire has to start someplace other than Raqqa or other major strongholds & the no-mans-land-region is OK

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Putin really looks small and insignificant in the shadow of Trump in that photo shot, what a winner!

He's a winner for being big now ?
Interesting Labrov has the upper hand.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: TinfoilTP

He's a winner for being big now ?
Interesting Labrov has the upper hand.

Yuuuuge!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join