It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitch McConnell Says That If Repeal Fails - TaxPayers Will Need To RESCUE ObamaCare.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: carewemust

If the debate doesn't include lowering the cost of medical care/procedures/medications in this country, every "healthcare" bill is merely rearranging Titanic deck chairs.

Single Payer would lower the overall cost of medical care, but it comes with it's own unique problems.

I agree, that is the problem, also they are looking at state level ACA type system too, which I fully agree with.

They want to allow selling across state lines too. That would be great for people in (Expensive) New York. But hell for people in (Relatively Inexpensive) Wisconsin.

All the New York people would flock to the Wisconsin exchange...causing those premiums to SOAR like a North Korean rocket. The citizens in the Badger state would be screwed by New Yorkers.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

They want to allow selling across state lines too. That would be great for people in (Expensive) New York. But hell for people in (Relatively Inexpensive) Wisconsin.

All the New York people would flock to the Wisconsin exchange...causing those premiums to SOAR like a North Korean rocket. The citizens in the Badger state would be screwed by New Yorkers.

In some places they already can sell across state lines, they simply choose not to. I think any health care bill needs to allow for selling across state lines just to remove this talking point. Building networks is expennsive and requires a certain population density, if you sell outside your region, you just don't have that critical mass to make insurance work.

Or... we could eliminate the talking point in a more sane way such as moving to a better system than insurance.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

If the debate doesn't include lowering the cost of medical care/procedures/medications in this country, every "healthcare" bill is merely rearranging Titanic deck chairs.

Single Payer would lower the overall cost of medical care, but it comes with it's own unique problems.

I agree, that is the problem, also they are looking at state level ACA type system too, which I fully agree with.

Only if the premiums in both areas are the same. Just like high risk drivers are charged more than low risk drivers for car insurance, it's safe to assume that people living in high risk danger areas are going would be charged more than those in low risk danger areas.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Only if the premiums in both areas are the same. Just like high risk drivers are charged more than low risk drivers for car insurance, it's safe to assume that people living in high risk danger areas are going would be charged more than those in low risk danger areas.

You do that, and the next thing you know, health insurance companies won't accept people applying from certain zip codes in the country. Then the entire "across state lines" theory will be proven wrong.

At any rate, it would take years to implement something that complicated when it comes to private health insurance. Better bet would be to open up MEDICARE to anyone who wants it. That's already in place. Another $1 Trillion would make it work.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
After 8 years of PROMISING to Repeal ObamaCare if voters will them them a trifecta majority, the moment is at hand.

President Trump says that he will be VERY ANGRY if Republicans don't follow-through on their 8 year promise to the nation's voters.

""President Donald Trump still thinks Senate Republicans can pass an Obamacare replacement plan — but said Wednesday he "will be very angry" if they fail.

In an interview posted by the Christian Broadcasting Network, the president said that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has "got to pull it off." Trump was asked what would happen if Congress cannot muster the support to pass a repeal and replacement plan.

"Well, I don't even want to talk about it because I think it would be very bad. I will be very angry about it and a lot of people will be very upset," Trump told CBN. "But I'm sitting waiting for that bill to come to my desk. I hope that they do it. They've been promising it for years.""

Source: www.cnbc.com...

Mr. President, if our party won't do what we elected them to do, and they promised to do, for 8 years, your anger will be nothing compared to mine!

If they can't do this, there's no way Republicans will be able to find the unity to pass Tax Reform. It's FAR MORE COMPLICATED because it directly affects over 300 million people. Not the relatively paltry 18 million on Obamacare.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
THIS WILL WORK! But it needs to be tweaked so that anyone who is not eligible for, or cannot afford, PRIVATE health insurance, can buy into Medicare...or get free Medicaid, if low enough in income.

""The Democrats’ proposal — which has not been endorsed by party leaders — says Congress should let older people buy into Medicare before they turn 65, and consider offering more taxpayer-funded assistance based on age, geography or income for people who haven’t benefited from Obamacare’s subsidies to date.""

oianews.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No it won't work and you damn well know it won't!

You must be employed somehow connected medicare is my guess as you keep bandying about keeping and expanding that program into single payer program or facsimile of it.

What do you not understand about cost side this issue overtaking entire federal budget in four or five years?

I smoke cigarettes should I switch to something greener to miss what you're missing?

Thread after thread you have been educated on cost issue, yet you persist in Alice in Wonderland solutions that in real terms - change nothing but deck chair arrangements.

Total delusional thinking that anything short controlled demolition will work as solution.

You have access to the numbers, don't pull wool here.

Phoenix

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Phoenix, to be honest, you're partially right. Part of my overall business as an insurance broker is to enroll people in Medicare Supplement plans. I also get paid for enrolling people in suitable private Health Insurance plans. I've been doing both of these since 1987.

From a logical point of view, it's less complicated if everyone who is turned down by private insurance, or has a serious health condition, or history, that would be excluded from private coverage, to be enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid.

Medicare if they can afford the monthly premium. Medicaid, if they cannot afford the monthly premium.

Both Medicare and Medicaid already exist. And there's no need to give health insurance companies billions of dollars to remain "stable", if they are forced to enroll individuals who have high medical expenses. Simply allocate those billions to existing national programs, where needed.

Private Health Insurance is a patchwork of companies and regulations that vary from state-to-state. It's far easier and seamless to place people that private health insurance companies DO NOT WANT IN THE FIRST PLACE, into an existing NATIONAL program. The nationwide continuity, codes, reimbursement, and medical network exists and works.

But...as of right now, the latest SENATE bill will give many billions of dollars to the private health insurance industry to accept anyone who wants insurance...just like ObamaCare does. So, what I think is most logical, isn't going to happen. At least not for a few years...not until the insurer stabilization costs become higher than what Congress is willing to spend.

Here's nice summary of what's inside the Newest (a/o 7.13.2017) Senate Bill that's supposed to be voted on next week. (I hate that it's from CNN, but the writer did a decent job.)

money.cnn.com...

edit on 7/15/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Saturday 7.15.2017

There's something FISHY going on today with Mitch McConnell.

Because John McCain had eye surgery to remove a blot clot, Mitch McConnell is delaying the vote on the ObamaCare replacement bill this week.

""The Senate will "defer" consideration of its attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare, said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Saturday night. The announcement follows Sen. John McCain's surgery that will keep him away from Washington next week.""

www.politico.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Thanks for the logical reply to a post I probably expressed bit to much frustration.

What you propose is private insurance gets "cream of the crop" for its business line and the taxpayers get the dregs.

That sounds very profitable.

My beef with private insurers is that when first offered in a big way the mantra was we'll negotiate better pricing than you'll ever get outside of our group. That was especially prevalent in getting employers to sign up on HMO and PPO plans back in the day.

Once majority was signed up,

Well some smarmy accountant executives figured out cost control hurt the bottom line net numbers just due the fact 10% return of rigorous cost control was much less than 10% of virtually no cost control.

The only cost control now is in protecting the firm's bottom line.

I won't even get into the horseplay with deductables.

Anyways you know how executive bonus, salary and stockholder returns are adverse to driving down provider costs.

The wounds at this stage are self inflicted with greed.

Unfortunately a lot of innocents are going to suffer for quite a bit due this and other structural errors allowed to exist through out the entire industry.

Those errors are anti-trust violations for the most part.

Medicaid is better on cost side but is prone much abuse and as private costs have risen so has that programs costs risen with that tide.

Congress doesn't fix soon it'll be time to burn it down and when that happens more will clap than mourn for it.

I contend that general public knew what I know of it, it'd be on fire this day.

It is only their ignorance and apathy that stand in way.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The ACA co-opted a lot of Republican healthcare ideas such as the plan implemented in Maryland under Governor Romney.

It's no surprise that, despite their bluster, they might want to keep much of it.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

The ACA co-opted a lot of Republican healthcare ideas such as the plan implemented in Maryland under Governor Romney.

It's no surprise that, despite their bluster, they might want to keep much of it.

It's starting to look more and more like ObamaCare Repeal-Replace is DEAD. Two more defectors today...

""Republican Sens. Mike Lee and Jerry Moran have announced opposition to the GOP health care bill, effectively stalling the legislation.""

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

ATS, if the Senate is unable to Repeal-Replace ObamaCare, are you for Congress directing billions of additional taxpayer dollars (YOUR dollars) to RESCUING the private health-insurance side of ObamaCare?

Hell no, just let it die from starvation. Truth be told, that would be the best course of action anyway.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

You're right, Phoenix. All that's needed are free-market options for those that qualify. The U.S. government is the only entity that has the bottomless-pit of cash to pay the insanely high medical expenses incurred by some Americans.

Congress keeps attempting to make themselves more important than they are. Simply allow people to get any health insurance plan they want, can pay for, and can qualify for. That's the American way.

Likewise, those who can't find what they want, or can pay for, or can qualify for, on the open market, should be made eligible for Medicaid or Medicare...depending on their ability to pay. The money that the Senate has appropriated for "bailing out" health insurance companies (risk-corridor payments) can instead be used to bolster Medicare and Medicaid for the people who will enroll in those programs.

Costs of Medical Care in America will have to be addressed at some point, but before the 2018 ObamaCare signup system goes "live" in September, so MAJOR changes need to be made. If ObamaCare is left the way it is now, the Democrat's prediction of people dying next year, will be tragically accurate. That's not America! It must not happen.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

ATS, if the Senate is unable to Repeal-Replace ObamaCare, are you for Congress directing billions of additional taxpayer dollars (YOUR dollars) to RESCUING the private health-insurance side of ObamaCare?

Hell no, just let it die from starvation. Truth be told, that would be the best course of action anyway.

That would be fine if the "death" you refer to was merely to a law. But ObamaCare sustains the life of many adults and children...literally.

I won't go into long stories from real America, but please understand that there are people alive today, who, had they contracted their disease before 2013, would have died. They were "fortunate" that the onset of their serious medical condition happened while ObamaCare was in effect.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

It's starting to look more and more like ObamaCare Repeal-Replace is DEAD. Two more defectors today...

""Republican Sens. Mike Lee and Jerry Moran have announced opposition to the GOP health care bill, effectively stalling the legislation.""

www.foxnews.com...

Didn't they help write it to begin with...?

Wonder if this had anything to do with it:
Republican senator confronted by his daughters’ pediatrician over health care bill

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
As I stated in a thread I started(sorry mods).The republicans had all this time to come up with something and all we get is a rushed bag of snip.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

Didn't they help write it to begin with...?

Wonder if this had anything to do with it:
Republican senator confronted by his daughters’ pediatrician over health care bill

Great find, Greven! Moran might have been involved in writing the bill, but for him to come out against it at the town hall last week...doesn't add up, if he was one of the architects.

I always take what Medical Professionals, their Lobbies (American Medical Association), and Insurance Companies, say with a grain-of-salt on this healthcare reform issue. The vast majority of the insurance and medical profession put $$$$$ at the top of their priority list.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
As I stated in a thread I started(sorry mods).The republicans had all this time to come up with something and all we get is a rushed bag of snip.

Republicans thought Hillary was a shoe-in, and single-payer was going to be fought.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Reaction is coming in to ObamaCare's replacement bill dying on the vine tonight. This quagmire is being labeled, "Trump's Vietnam".

""With the simultaneous defections of Utah Sen. Mike Lee and Kansas Sen. Jerry Moran Monday night effectively killing the current version of the GOP healthcare bill, President Donald Trump is finding his young presidency in a quagmire, and Republicans could face backlash in 2018, observers warn.

"It is a debacle. I think this is Donald Trump's Vietnam," The Daily Beast's Matt Lewis said on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360." It is basically a boondoggle. They thought they could do it quickly. They thought they could just go in surgically. This is not Trump's war. He didn't want this."

GOP strategist Jeffrey Lord told CNN that House and Senate Republicans will face the ire of their conservative base in the 2018 midterms if Obamacare isn't repealed and replaced.""

www.newsmax.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join